Why become a member? ×

Who on Basschat has the most expensive bass?

Jonny Walker

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='212951' date='Jun 5 2008, 08:59 AM']My 73P - if I put the original parts back on would be worth...............about 15 years banged up when I stabbed to death whoever stole it with a breadknife.

That makes it the most valuable bass so far I think.[/quote]
Crikey, I'd be annoyed if someone stole my bass with a breadknife!

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='212920' date='Jun 5 2008, 06:08 AM']Its a lot clearer with new basses like Foderas. Some of them retail for £6k easily. Birdy's '65 Jazz was up for sale at the Gallery for £6.5k.[/quote]

Its up for £5.9k and wasn't ever £6.5k - unless Alex is making a few extra quid on the side :-)

Steve

[quote name='ped' post='213013' date='Jun 5 2008, 10:16 AM']Kiwi, surely the list price of your graphite Alembic must be astronomical?[/quote]
I understand it was incredibly expensive when they were originally made - much more so than a normal Series 1 and those were expensive enough. The selling point was the use of space age materials. But what the list price was and how it translates into todays money I couldn't say.

[quote name='birdy' post='213037' date='Jun 5 2008, 10:48 AM']Its up for £5.9k and wasn't ever £6.5k - unless Alex is making a few extra quid on the side :-)[/quote]
Well someone I remember mentioned it was £6500, but I can't remember who. F**king gorgeous bass though, and I say that as not being a particularly enthusastic jazz bass player :)

Just been flicking through a price guide from Vintage Guitar Mag, just to see what my three are worth........not a lot really.

2 US Jazz 2000-present $625 - $775

1 CIJ 60's Jazz 2001- present $700 - $750.

Not a bad book actually, plenty of makes listed. Price Guide 2008 by Alan Greenwood and Gil Hembree.
Haven't got a link for it, borrowed it from a mate :)

It did mention though that certain custom and hand built instruments can have a huge value.

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='212994' date='Jun 5 2008, 09:53 AM']Crikey, I'd be annoyed if someone stole my bass with a breadknife![/quote]

Damn right - in fact if said tea leaf were to use any of a wide selection of kitchen utensils to aid his foul quest I'd be so upset I wouldn't be able to form sentences properly!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='212789' date='Jun 4 2008, 09:49 PM']Ah!

Forgot about those. Cost me £400. There was a set on EvilBay last week - not sure if they sold or not. I've just bought an Oberheim Matrix module - closest thing I've found in a midiable synth to the Taurus sound - hook my Roland pedals up and it does the job fairly well.[/quote]

Did you try the 'vintage synth' card available for Roland's own sound modules? I thought the Moog patches on that were quite good. Do you use the PK5 pedals? I have a set of those.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='ped' post='213236' date='Jun 5 2008, 02:20 PM']Kiwi can you contact Alembic for a rough idea? Would be interesting to find out.[/quote]
OK, I'll drop Mica an email and see if she's forgotten me yet.

[quote name='jacko' post='213548' date='Jun 5 2008, 10:54 PM']the combned purchase price of my 3 alembics was over £11000, the MK costing around 6. The custom I have in mind for my 50th birthday would cost around £15 but that needs senior management approval[/quote]

15 quid??? I'll have 10 please ;-)

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='214807' date='Jun 8 2008, 11:31 AM']on a serious note...my 2 main basses combined will retail at around £2500 then + all other musical instruments/gear that I own would probably be around £8000...so no, I'm not 'The One' :)[/quote]

lol well of course your in the club then :huh:

My Warwick Fortress Masterman Custom cost me £2250 when I ordered her back in 97. A huge amout of dosh for me at the time, still is in fact.
If I put her up for sale now I doubt Id get over £500 for her. I think times will change and her value will increase. I dont mind though, i would never sell her, she is still as fantastic as the day I had her, she's coming on me final journey with me, just in case they need bassmen on the other side. Money means very little when you get the right job done. Warwick pulled out the stops and built a phenomenal musical instrument.

C

Edited by Voodoosnake

• 3 months later...