Why become a member? ×

Who on Basschat has the most expensive bass?

Jonny Walker

IS IT YOU ??? :huh:

This is just out of interest as i know some of you have some very nice customs...

To get the ball rolling;

My ESP was £1400 but i had 20 L.E.D.s fitted by Sims costing £500,
So if bought new would probably cost around £1900 (The most expensive bass i own) :)

Cheers,

Jonny.

P.S. I mean the face value that you paid... (Thanks Kiwi)

Edited by Jonny Walker

Er, RRP value or current value?

I only ask because on current value some people will have very early jazzes or rare coloured jazzes (and other instruments naturally) which are currently worth lots of wonga donga, and are only increasing, but didn't cost that much when they were first bought (even taking into account inflation).

Edited by Buzz

My most expensive bass WAS Mark King's red Jaydee Classic - cost me £6000. Had to sell it when I turned pro :)

My most expensive purchase that still remains in the collection was my US made Spector NS-2 which was purchased secondhand for £1900. I bought my Chris Squire 4001CS (#475) at a very good price and as already noted, it must be worth over £2K nowadays. Other `valuable' basses amongst the 52 include:

4 Pangborns
4 Status basses, including two Series 2000s, an early Series II and a 5 string Series I
2 Jaydees, one being a full on custom Classic
2 Alembics
3 Vigiers
Steinberger Xl-2 - ex JJ Burnel

Again, the price of an instrument is a very subjective matter, its worth what someone is willing to pay for it!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='212773' date='Jun 4 2008, 09:36 PM']My most expensive bass WAS Mark King's red Jaydee Classic - cost me £6000. Had to sell it when I turned pro :)

My most expensive purchase that still remains in the collection was my US made Spector NS-2 which was purchased secondhand for £1900. I bought my Chris Squire 4001CS (#475) at a very good price and as already noted, it must be worth over £2K nowadays. Other `valuable' basses amongst the 52 include:

4 Pangborns
4 Status basses, including two Series 2000s, an early Series II and a 5 string Series I
2 Jaydees, one being a full on custom Classic
2 Alembics
3 Vigiers
Steinberger Xl-2 - ex JJ Burnel

Again, the price of an instrument is a very subjective matter, its worth what someone is willing to pay for it![/quote]
Bet your Taurus pedals are worth the most mush!

I think the list price on my Series 2 Vigier used to be around 2.5K, and now it has a Vbass pickup (£~80), Marleaux leccy (£~150) but has ben graced by my fair hands (£priceless) ;0)

Obviously I paid nowhere near that.

The Alembic Elan 6 string I used to own (As did Alemboid before me and Kiwi after) ran up a list price of $10,000 when ran through the quote machine @ Alembic. The neck had I think 7 strips of purpleheart or ebony rather than the maximun of five on the price machine so probably even more than that. Silly stuff!

Well I haven't a clue what some of my instruments are 'worth', however potentially some of them could sell for an awful lot more than I paid for them because they aren't made any more and very few were made anyway. The most I've ever paid for an instrument was my Ken Smith BSR6GN but my Alembic *might* be worth an awful lot more to a collector.

Its a lot clearer with new basses like Foderas. Some of them retail for £6k easily. Birdy's '65 Jazz was up for sale at the Gallery for £6.5k.