Why become a member? ×

Who on Basschat has the most expensive bass?

Jonny Walker

If you wanted Jim to make a 'Basic' version of my 9 (2 octave Ebony Fretboard,non Rare woods i.e Walnut,and a 2 bnd eq,and no Hipshot) its around 2.75k

If you wanted him to make MY 9,as a straight copy (3 octaves of Purpleheart,Tulipwood etc etc)......You would die,suddenly,quietly,and never be found.

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='jonsmith' post='290352' date='Sep 23 2008, 08:28 PM']Well, maybe these don't count due to being more than simply a bass, but this pair cost rather a lot, especially the 4/12 string version on the right.

I think the only bass mentioned in this thread that cost more was the Mark King bass.

Not list price I know...[/quote]

F$$k me! The 4/12's are the equivalent of rocking horse excrement.

But you bring up an interesting point - the difference between intrinsic value and associational value. Surely when generally discussing instruments and values prototypes and artist-owned instruments should be excluding from the equation/question? Without the association, after all, the instrument in question is just another "X". Prototypes, however, do pose a slightly more difficult subject.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='noelk27' post='290424' date='Sep 23 2008, 10:48 PM']F$$k me! The 4/12's are the equivalent of rocking horse excrement.

But you bring up an interesting point - the difference between intrinsic value and associational value. Surely when generally discussing instruments and values prototypes and artist-owned instruments should be excluding from the equation/question? Without the association, after all, the instrument in question is just another "X". Prototypes, however, do pose a slightly more difficult subject.[/quote]

Ha, I guess I did, in the line I then removed because I decided it sounded smug. :)

You're right, the 4080/12 s are pretty rare. I'd been looking for one for a long time before I managed to get hold of one. Like busses, after a long time waiting, another 2 came along almost immediately.

I have three basses that all list up in the £2K plus bracket. Sadowsky NYC, Roscoe SKB and a Warwick Infinity NT.

I didn't pay that much for any of them though. Ironically the Warwick probaby has about the highest full list price but is probably worth about the least of the three!

[quote name='Sibob' post='290488' date='Sep 24 2008, 12:27 AM']I'd like to suggest that Jim's (99ster) 1960 Jazz Bass is probably worth the most! :)

Si[/quote]

Hi Si,

IF it was all original/un-molested then it would be worth a LOT of money (in the region of £15-20K) as I've established that it is one the very earliest Jazz basses made by Fender in 1960 (& there were reckoned to have only been around 200-250 Jazz basses made in 1960 in total as they only started to ship/sell them towards the end of the year).
But even in its restored condition I've been advised to insure it for £8K - though it's a very difficult thing to value as it's such a rare bass... Though I actually prefer that isn't in original/vintage condition as I can happily play it every day (& enjoy it's incredible neck) without worrying about damaging it!

Edited by 99ster

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='290612' date='Sep 24 2008, 09:52 AM']I have an all original 1984 Westone Thunder 1A.

What do I win? :huh:[/quote]

A thumbs up from me......top bass :)

I own a Hofner S7B which is probably the rarest production bass here, to my knowledge there is only 1 other still in existence.
Unless anyone knows different ?

[quote name='Prosebass' post='290625' date='Sep 24 2008, 10:17 AM']I own a Hofner S7B which is probably the rarest production bass here, to my knowledge there is only 1 other still in existence.
Unless anyone knows different ?[/quote]
So either Hofner only made a third of a bass every year, or they were so bad that most of them got used for firewood?

:)

My most expensive bass is my Warwick Thumb BO 4 which I bought in 2003 for £999 NEW (bargain!). Warwick have just increased their RRPs due to the strong Euro and I think they list the same bass at £1700+ now. I certainly wouldn't pay anything like the RRP, even though I consider my Warwick the best thing since sliced bread.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='212955' date='Jun 5 2008, 09:08 AM']I met a BCer when making a purchase and he had about 15 basses on the wall and it was all quality stuff including vintage Fenders, Sei etc etc. He had a rare Warwick reputed to be worth about £8,000.[/quote]

Yup - that would be the first Warwick 6 string sold to the public - in fact, the first 6 string to be sold outside of America. S/n 3. But that bass is insignificant compared to his pedal collection... (and I know he'll smirk when/if he reads this)...

what kind of f***ing jobs do you lot do and are there any jobs going there jeezus.

my most expensive i ever bought was a music man stingray, natural with 2 band eq and the old bridge, the one with the foam pads on. think about 1990 or something, cost me £650, i valued it much higher obviously. i won't go into where it went again. though it doesn't come anywhere near you lot.

lucky bar stewards