Why become a member? ×

Windsor Rickenbacker

Billy Apple

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1372489927' post='2126292']
It's strange I don't remember having any trouble at all switching to my first Ric last year, and not at all once I'd worked out what gauge strings I wanted on it and a quick once over making sure the neck was straight from my luthier.
I always thought I was sensitive with basses but nowadays I have no problem going from a Jazz to a Ric to a 51P.. I think it's mostly in the set-up and feeling comfortable on each.
[/quote]

Maybe it's technique, I'm a bit of a heavy player. I did some recording using a pic and the bass sounded tremendous. Stuck some light gauge DR strings on and tried to play fingerstyle and it just sounded sh*t. My playing was really shoddy and the intonation was out! A week later heavier gauge, coated strings and it's like playing another bass. Sounds is fantastic and easier to play. Everything falling into place which is a relief because I like the bass.

Edited by steviedee

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1372520826' post='2126774']
I've just come back from Bass Gear in Twyford. Played a 1980 vintage 4001 through a Mark Bass head and Bergantino cab. Sounded monumental :)
[/quote]

That sounds like a cracker.

'Billy Apple'

I remember you having a Ric in a bag at one of Clarky's gigs. Was that it? Mapleglow? Come to think of it, it might have been Clarky.

MB1.
That wasn't a Ric?
...That was The Gamekeepers Daughter!

Coat Collected...

• 1 month later...

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1372468229' post='2126243']

Indeed. Given warnings received from the mods, I need to be careful what I say, but sadly, preferring Rickenbackers to Fenders is not fashionable on here at the moment. But I guess we have to remember that almost 200 of the "active basschat membership" voted for the Rickenbacker ban, and those of us that love Rics will have to live with that
[/quote]

Er, no you don't, at least on the subject of the instruments themselves - though it is disappointing to find the old discussion reemerging around the nature of the sales ban. Certainly, it was not perfect - but nor were the conditions that created it.

None of which stops people talking positively about the instruments, thankfully - if you love them, superb.

Still on my list of basses to own. The few I've seen and played seemed well enough.

I used to own a beautiful fireglo '70s 4001. Beautiful to look at that is.
I battled and fought that thing for 5 years, had it set up professionally twice (yes by techs who knew how to adjust the trussrods correctly) before I finally had to admit to myself that it was an awful sounding and playing pile of crap of a thing.
To this day it's the only one I've ever played but I know that some people love theirs dearly so I just got unlucky with a bum one it seems, so because of this I'm just not down with the boutique-like reverence that some people hold them in.
Although one day if ever I have the funds, a 4001V64 is out there with my name on it.

It's taken me 3 Rics to get one that I think has the classic Chris Squire growl that for me is THE Ric sound (a mapleglo 1976 4001 don't you know), but for my normal gigs, I use a Fender Aerodyne Jazz, as it just sits better in the overall blend of sound.

The Ricky is my Sunday best, occasional Open Mic night, bass, where it can bark and snap through a few choice songs. Just a shame no-one has ever called out - 'Does anyone know Roundabout?

BTW - I did own a beautiful US Jazz for a couple of months, but traded it for the Ric, as I thought it was the blandest thing I'd ever heard and played

Edited by davehux

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1375775124' post='2165304']
It's taken me 3 Rics to get one that I think has the classic Chris Squire growl that for me is THE Ric sound (a mapleglo 1976 4001 don't you know), but for my normal gigs, I use a Fender Aerodyne Jazz, as it just sits better in the overall blend of sound.

The Ricky is my Sunday best, occasional Open Mic night, bass, where it can bark and snap through a few choice songs. Just a shame no-one has ever called out - 'Does anyone know Roundabout?

BTW - I did own a beautiful US Jazz for a couple of months, but traded it for the Ric, as I thought it was the blandest thing I'd ever heard and played
[/quote]

Which Open Mic nights do you go to?

sadly, preferring Rickenbackers to Fenders is not fashionable on here at the moment. [/quote]

Surely you either like something or you don't. Or do you actually think that some people claim to not like them because of fashion?

But I guess we have to remember that almost 200 of the "active basschat membership" voted for the Rickenbacker ban, and those of us that love Rics will have to live with that
[/quote]

I joined after that but wasn't that just a ban on pictures, rather than liking or talking about them?
I don't know how the vote worked, but does that mean that almost 200 didn't vote against it?

I only ever got to play one 4003 and it wasn't anything special, but I would still really like to try others, it sounds like they are highly variable. I would never buy one though as for that money the options available are pretty vast.

My hunt still goes on, and I'm still interested in a loan if anyone has one spare. Out of the two I've played I'd say they were both good. The vintage (79) 4001 at Bass Gear and a brand-spanker 4003 in Wunjo. The neck on the 4001 was flawless, I might have entered into discussions, but it was Maple-glow and that is my least favourite. The 4003 needed a set-up but was basically good, and looked great in Fire-Glow.

I played both thru Mark Bass and they sounded ace, but what I really want to do is to try one thru my Matamp.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1375860177' post='2166469']
I joined after that but wasn't that just a ban on pictures, rather than liking or talking about them?
[/quote]

You can still love them; and you can tell the entire forum that you love them :)

And, if you're near Billy and are willing to lend him your Ric, you can help him love them too - anyone able to help this BC'er out?

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1375727701' post='2164860']
though it is disappointing to find the old discussion reemerging around the nature of the sales ban.
[/quote]

Gus - I actually posted that back in June, so it's a bit unfair to suggest my post is now the cause of the old discussion re-emerging. In fact, I thought my post had been deleted!

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1375891375' post='2167057']
You can still love them; and you can tell the entire forum that you love them :)
[/quote]

*raises head above the parapet* I, for one, shall stand up and proclaim "I am a R*ckenb*cker lover and am not ashamed to admit it!"

And before I get shot down in flames, may I just add that I also own Fenders and MusicMen amongst others, so am not just a blinkered Ric fanboy... :)

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1376394414' post='2173200']

Gus - I actually posted that back in June, so it's a bit unfair to suggest my post is now the cause of the old discussion re-emerging. In fact, I thought my post had been deleted!
[/quote]

I note that you have been busy with the deletion button :)

Time to turn a page. Plenty of people out there willing to be convinced on the issue of Rickenbackers. Get to it I say :)