Why become a member? ×

Changing tuning mid gig

julietgreen

If you are require to play a range of tunings, e.g. standard, 'drop D', detuned by a minor third, etc. do you opt for quick retuning during a gig or do you opt for multiple basses? Or do you just use a massive instrument with loads of strings?

I am afraid I only use standard tuning, my head can't handle anything complicated! However our guitarist swears by having multiple guitars (3 usually) all tuned at the start of the night to the key of the song he needs it for, he is a firm believer that a guitar needs to settle into a tuning change and from what I see at rehearsals where he will only use one guitar and retune as needed I think the multi guitar policy for gigs is the right way to go

I hope that helps

Edited by Roger2611

I think for a quick drop D you don't have to resort to much more than a quick fiddle with your tuner between tunes but if I were still playing in the prog rock band I used to when I was a bit younger with multiple drop tunings, I think I benefitted from having more than one instrument on stage, that way even if you've only got say two basses then you can choose which one you'll be able to tune quickest before the next song happens, based on what the bass is tuned to already.

The key is the speed you're able to swap instruments, the slicker you can make it, the less your audience have to wait for you to kick into the next song.

Edited by risingson

A few years back my band played in Standard, Drop D, D Standard and Drop C. We each had our own methods, lead guitarist just tuned up and down as necessary. The rhythm guitarist swapped between D standard and Drop C, then used a capo for the E standard and Drop D stuff, then i just went the complete lazy method and got a 5 string. If i didn't use a 5, i'd have gone for multiple basses for certain. It makes more sense, and it's easier. Means you've always got a spare too.

Liam

We do 'No one knows' by QOTSA (goes down a storm btw) which is in drop D and then all strings down a tone, sorry don't know what that's called, but I play by just dropping the E to C, we make sure the song before it ends on just guitars so I can quickly drop to C before we kick into QOTSA, it's quicker and visually slicker than swapping guitars. We always finish the first set with it so I can tune back up in the break. I always take and set up two basses anyway in case of any issue.

Managed to change to drop D mid way thru jam night last night. First time I'd done it in front of an audience and I was a bit apprehensive tbh. But it was easier than I thought.
If I was doing a 'proper' gig I would have preferred to have taken 2 basses but I thought that would be a bit of overkill for a jam night!
I woukd resist anything morr complex than drop D though! :-)

I'd much rather not use drop D. I go with two basses, one in the standard EADG and one tuned down a tone DGCF. Most of what we do I could do on either, but we've got a couple of songs which need the open E and one which needs the low D - perils of a singer with limited range. I ought to try the five-string, I guess.

Edited by alyctes

to be fair , it is a 2 second trick , even without a hipshot , which I did consider , but my pedal board has a tuner and it is very straightforward , as long as you remember to tune it back , though I am getting used to playing up a couple of frets until I get a chance on an open string to let me wind it back in

I`ve always played in standard tuning however one new song we`ve just written I`m getting a feeling will benefit from a low D, so tomorrow I will find out. I`ve got a hipshot on one of my basses so taking that one along, save tuning down/up.

Try 'covering' this...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY7GnAq6Znw[/media]
([i]the topic is addressed from around 45" until the end[/i]...)

...and you'll find it gets quite easy after a while (or so it would seem...). :mellow:

([i]Thanks again, fumps, for the link to this[/i]...)

Edited by Dad3353

Our Rhythm is fantastic at this stuff , while we tend not to play covers sooooo analy that retuning more than a string or two is needed , at rehearsal he will demonstrate some the tunings he has picked up , and he has a great ear for it , top fun .

Now that is clever , and beautiful , but is all the re-tuning with the special heads necessary ?

Ed to add

I watched the previous tube , where he explained the guitar , now that is great , and there was some very interesting stuff in his explanation .... BUT... he spent the entire time fiddling with the tuning and it really started to bore the pants off me . so is this a case of art or entertaninment ;) etc....

Edited by lurksalot

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1368656631' post='2080011']
Now that is clever , and beautiful , but is all the re-tuning with the special heads necessary ?
[/quote]

The only benefit I can see would be changing the pitch of the natural harmonics, and adding a different feel. It is a lovely piece though. For me, it's both art AND entertainment ;)

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1368651750' post='2079919']
....Drop D was the reason I bought a 5 string....
[/quote]

+1

If you're taking 2 basses to a gig or retuning during a set, I'd suggest taking a 4 and a 5 string bass instead.

Job done.

[quote name='danthevan' timestamp='1368692629' post='2080150']
we do one song which is drop d on guitars, so only affects me when the other 2 tossers are trying to retune for the next song.
I have suggested a couple of times we move it to the end of the first set rather than the song before it............
[/quote]

It`s amazing how things like this can get overlooked, then criticised when suggested.