Why become a member? ×

Best 5 string "super jazz"

Stealth

Its just about the broadest question you could have asked, seeing as this is the broadest market, when it comes to electric bass.. budget is always a good question to start on..? seeing as you already have a very good passive 4 string, what about an active 5 string.?

Edited by bubinga5

If you can live with 35 inch scale ( I can't ) the Lakland 5 string Jazz Basses are pretty nice , active or passive . If you have the budget for it , one of the best five string Jazz Basses I ever heard was a Nordstrand with chunky pickups on it - either Fat Stacks or Big Singles , I don't know which . It sounded amazingly good ..

Edited by Dingus

Budget is £2k tops dont wanna spend that unless its something special. £1 to £1.5 works. More money for beer and crisps.

Sad as it seems it needs to look a bit ROCK so spalt maple masterpieces and pale pastels are the list.

The lakland idea works as i love my Bob Glaub which has nords installed.

Sadowsky's are nice, if you like Sadowskys. I've now gone slightly gone off them personally after wanting one for years, however the Will Lee model is really superb. That mid boost is a welcome addition to their already classic preamp.

Then you've got Nordy, Xotic, Alleva Coppolo, maybe a second hand Celinder, Sei and Overwater over this side of the pond.

Another left field option are Pensa NYC. I got totally blown away by a 5 string model I tried last month. Their preamp is great, 2-band EQ, nicely voiced with your standard push/pull active/passive and a really handy push/pull humbucking option that gives a really thick sound that adds a whole new dimension to the super J thing. So good in fact that I now badly want one. Currently that would be my choice.

Bubinga's Nordstrand picture raises an interesting point (given that it's looks to be a PJ)
Namely: What defines a bass as a Jazz?

Is it; neck dimensions, the off-set body shape or the use of two single coil pick ups at the bridge and mid positions?
Or a combination of these?

Otherwise, bases like the Thumb, Vigier Excess/Passion/Arpege and even Status S2 begin to creep in...

A Sadowsky or (not yet mentioned) a Mike Lull. In fact, I'm thinking there is or was a Lull 5 in the BC for sale section. It might be worth a search.

I have played a few 'Super J' type basses and based on what I have experience of playing I would say my votes would be:

Nordstrand or Nordy Jazz - Amazing build, lovely slim but wide neck on the couple i have played and just a quality instrument. I nearly bought one from Bass Direct, guuted I didnt snap it up.
Fender Roscoe Beck V - I am on my second one now having foolishly sold my first. Amazing basses, wide tonal palette and the build quality is up there with any high end bass I have ever played. There is also one for sale on here for under 1k.
Sei Jazz - Great basses, build is impeccable enough said.
GB Guitars - Bernie makes amazing instruments. One of the nicest basses I have ever played was a GB Spitfire at a guitar show years ago. So flexible with the EQ and just absolutely beautiful instruments.
Overwater J5 - I owned one, brilliant bass but I didn't like the neck, but it was built for someone else so I cant knock Overwater for that. Also brilliant customer service and you can take it to the builder for adjustments and servicing, same as Sei.
Alleva Coppollo - same as all in the list, great build etc but I found the B a tiny bit lacking but that could be setup etc. great bass but it wasn't very exciting and I didn't find it particularly 'lively' sounding.
Sadowsky Metro - Good bass, I found the B string lacking but that could be set up and string choice, overall brilliant bass but for the money they go for I would try some of the basses above first, I really don't think they are worth the price tag.

Heard great things about Xotic and Lull, I really want a Lull P5. I would suggest you head to Bass Gear or Bass Direct. Mark at Bass Direct is a true gent and has a brilliant selection and he will keep giving you basses to try all day long.

What does "best" mean?

Last year I compared a Nordy P5 against my Lull. I arrived expecting to get the credit card out and go home with 2 P basses, but after a couple of hours I knew that to my ear the Lull sounded much better than the Nordy. That was a surprise.

I know that Dave Swift doesn't rate Lull and is currently playing, and loving a Fender P5. His other bass is a Dingwall, that's both ends of the evolutionary scale!

Also last year I tried to sell my Lakland. I was tired of it and didn't rate it as much as I used to. Last week end I played it through my new TH500 and it came alive. It sounded wonderful and is now my #1 bass again. I’m very glad I didn’t sell it.

I think that at this level no bass is "better". They are all shades of different. You just have to play lots and find the combination that is right for you.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1368101166' post='2073158']
I have played a few 'Super J' type basses and based on what I have experience of playing I would say my votes would be:

Nordstrand or Nordy Jazz - Amazing build, lovely slim but wide neck on the couple i have played and just a quality instrument. I nearly bought one from Bass Direct, guuted I didnt snap it up.
Fender Roscoe Beck V - I am on my second one now having foolishly sold my first. Amazing basses, wide tonal palette and the build quality is up there with any high end bass I have ever played. [size=5][b]There is also one for sale on here for under 1k.[/b][/size]
Sei Jazz - Great basses, build is impeccable enough said.
GB Guitars - Bernie makes amazing instruments. One of the nicest basses I have ever played was a GB Spitfire at a guitar show years ago. So flexible with the EQ and just absolutely beautiful instruments.
Overwater J5 - I owned one, brilliant bass but I didn't like the neck, but it was built for someone else so I cant knock Overwater for that. Also brilliant customer service and you can take it to the builder for adjustments and servicing, same as Sei.
Alleva Coppollo - same as all in the list, great build etc but I found the B a tiny bit lacking but that could be setup etc. great bass but it wasn't very exciting and I didn't find it particularly 'lively' sounding.
Sadowsky Metro - Good bass, I found the B string lacking but that could be set up and string choice, overall brilliant bass but for the money they go for I would try some of the basses above first, I really don't think they are worth the price tag.

Heard great things about Xotic and Lull, I really want a Lull P5. I would suggest you head to Bass Gear or Bass Direct. Mark at Bass Direct is a true gent and has a brilliant selection and he will keep giving you basses to try all day long.
[/quote]

Important point here.... a £2k budget opens up lots and lots of top end stuff.... but more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better and "the best" could be a £500 secondhand bargain for something that's not fashionable at the moment....