Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bad news for Lakland string lovers

wateroftyne

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1368028544' post='2072254']
Just wondering if any of the contributors to this thread (those wondering how to avoid import tax) were outraged with Starbucks, Amazon etc. for their tax avoidance antics.
[/quote]

I was.

Just wondering if any of the contributors to this thread (those wondering how to avoid import tax) were outraged with Starbucks, Amazon etc. for their tax avoidance antics.
[/quote]

I'm not trying to help anybody avoid tax, I was just wondering if there was a cheaper way to get the same product, which is why I wondered about them have a UK distributor.

[/quote]
Yes and I'm all in favour of everybody paying their taxes.

[/quote]

Yep. And I have no problem paying the costs/taxes for stuff imported from the States, I just like to know in advance whether I will be charged, and how much. Is that a lot to ask?

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1368086233' post='2072904']
Yep. And I have no problem paying the costs/taxes for stuff imported from the States, I just like to know in advance whether I will be charged, and how much. Is that a lot to ask?
[/quote]

Just admit it, man. You're no better than Starbucks.

There's a latte difference between a little customs avoidance and Starbucks' grande, multimillion pound tax-dodging though... On that scale, it makes a mocha-ry out of the system.

Sorry, I'll get my coat :s

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1368086280' post='2072906']
[/quote]

:D

As a point - I don't think anybody on this thread has condoned evading paying import tax/duty. People have every right and reason to try and get what they want for as cheap as possible, and there are certain ways that can be done without abandoning any morals, like having a distributor in the UK, as the value of the strings will be what the distributor paid for them until they are in the UK and the value of them comes up to what the distributor sells them at. That means less import duty is paid on each set. That is not illegal, in fact, it's probably promoted.

Since starbucks and amazon dont pay tax, or have agreed to pay an insultingly pultry percentage of next to nothing, I wouldn't mind getting a little lucky and not paying duty on ONE transaction, costing the UK economy a game changing £15!

Just admit it, man. You're no better than Starbucks. <--- TROLL IS OBVIOUS

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1368090027' post='2072966']
Since starbucks and amazon dont pay tax, or have agreed to pay an insultingly pultry percentage of next to nothing, I wouldn't mind getting a little lucky and not paying duty on ONE transaction, costing the UK economy a game changing £15!

[/quote]

I think that was a joke, not a troll.

In any case, because Starbucks does something it shouldn't doesn't make it alright for you to do it. I've gone through it many times before, and I don't feel like going through it again. It's pretty basic, and I fear when I come across somebody who can't grasp it. Please don't be one of those people.

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1368090027' post='2072966']
[/quote]

Troll had tongue firmly wedged in cheek...

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1368089741' post='2072960']
I don't understand the problem.

You factor in [i][b]all[/b][/i] costs and decide to buy or not.

If one of those costs doesn't materialise then you're ahead.
[/quote]

It's a fair point. The thread was basically an electronic sigh because my favourite strings have (probably) gone from being very reasonably-priced to 'on the expensive side'.

[color="#282828"][url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/56-wateroftyne/"][color="#282828"]wateroftyne[/color][/url] - fair do's.[/color]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/25488-miltyg565/"][color="#282828"]MiltyG565[/color][/url] - Im sorry mate, but no matter how many times you may have 'gone through it' it doesnt really mean Ill pay much attention, stop being so dramatic.

[b]' [/b][i][b]It's pretty basic, and I fear when I come across somebody who can't grasp it. Please don't be one of those people[/b]. ' -[/i] man thats really annoying to read. You infer I dont understand the principle of paying my way, the consequences of not doing so or my responsibility to contribute to society. I also appreciate two wrongs not making a right and that I'm accountable to that ideology but you've managed to overlook some fundermentals of my post in favour of talking like a church goer about the devils music, or just some old lady talking about the decline in quality of her tea cakes. The idea that I, being lucky and not paying a small amount of duty, which I would pay if asked, obviously, is fearful... grow up mate. Then obviously, the usual comment trying to degrade someones input, that I can't 'grasp it' and pleading with me to not be 'one of those people'.... (you racist, jk)....what exactly does that mean, nothing other than you trying to take some form of high ground, dunno maybe academic or moral, but really you just sound like an annoying granny.

Would you really say this down the pub or is it just internet fatigue?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1368086280' post='2072906']
[/quote]

When I was importing coffee from Costa Rica (and paying all due taxes on it, I might add!) and using my Italian espresso machine.... I was MUCH better than Starbucks!! :P

Although I do have a bit of a soft spot for their caramel wafer things... :blush:

[/quote]

Seems I should have put a smiley face on this, but I didn't think it would be needed. it was just a quip, honest. I wasn't going to shop anyone to HMRC.

Also, having gone back through the thread, no one seems to be actually advocating avoiding duty, so apologies if I cast unwarranted aspersions.

Just a quip gone wrong!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1368091661' post='2072997']
....The thread was basically an electronic sigh because my favourite strings have (probably) gone from being very reasonably-priced to 'on the expensive side'....
[/quote]

I understand.

I'm using my first set of Lakland flats and I’ve been told to expect "several" years use.

I don't know what they'll cost after the postage hike but compared to my bill for the last 5 years of DR strings, they're going to be significantly cheaper.

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1368094942' post='2073045']
Would you really say this down the pub or is it just internet fatigue?
[/quote]

Yes. I don't say things on the internet that I wouldn't say in person. And you might like to know that fatigue means tired.

I didn't imply anything about you. I'm not an old lady complaining about tea cakes, or a "church goer" complaining about music, neither of which are very relevant. Since you completely missed what I was saying and decided to go on a word-rampage, what I was saying wasn't that you couldn't understand it, but I get worried when I come across people who can't (Not necessarily anybody in particular), and I hoped you wouldn't be one of those people. You took the wrong thing from it and thought that I was saying that you didn't understand it, which isn't what I was saying. I'm not a racist either, and you would do well to avoid throwing those kind of accusations around. Threads have been deleted recently for as much as that.

My word... a question about strings and it all got a bit silly and heated, including the OP being accused of trolling his own thread....! madness everyone needs to chill out a bit, this isn't Off Topic.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1368015043' post='2072017']
Cheers, all.

I've gone ahead with the order to see what happens. if I get stung.. I'll be on the hunt again.

But then I'll have two sets of flats to get through so it'll be about ten years' time.
[/quote]
Guitarguitar are pretty good about being able to order stuff for you from distributers (and at good prices), from what i've heard/experienced the newcastle shop isn't the best advert for the chain but an email to head office and they might be able to sort you out. Edinburgh and Glasgow guitarguitars are good... newcastle less so...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1368119436' post='2073507']
Mr. Nice chap from Lakland replied to say they frequently offer strings to all their UK dealers, but none take them up on it...
[/quote]
... and if they did take them up on it then it probably wouldn't be the flats that they decided to stock.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1368119436' post='2073507']
Mr. Nice chap from Lakland replied to say they frequently offer strings to all their UK dealers, but none take them up on it...
[/quote]

Loads of shops I think won't stock things unless there are people coming in asking for them. It's mad, but I suppose they don't want to lose money.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1368015188' post='2072020']
I'll be wanting a set Barrie.
[/quote]

There's 1 set of 4's & 3 sets of 5's in stock. I really like them I must admit.

Zap me a message either here or via the shop mail address & I'll confirm the discount deal :)

There will be a wider special offer coming soon to all BC'ers on all strings but need to get the next big shipment in first!