Why become a member? ×

Bad news for Lakland string lovers

wateroftyne

Just caught the end of this thread and it continues to astound me how much inaccurate (or half true) information is still peddled about whenever the subject of importing from outside the EU comes up. The guides are there, and granted the HMRC's website isn't the most friendly out there, but everything one would ever need to know is probably here: [url="http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document"]http://customs.hmrc....tyType=document[/url]

In this case, see section 3.1.

I realise that it's pretty moot as we are discussing the sending of commercial goods in this particular thread (and thus carriage costs are factored into the total for VAT calculation purposes, no ifs or buts), but I'm fed up of the needless debate about something that's set in stone.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1368450047' post='2077157']
Just caught the end of this thread and it continues to astound me how much inaccurate (or half true) information is still peddled about whenever the subject of importing from outside the EU comes up. The guides are there, and granted the HMRC's website isn't the most friendly out there, but everything one would ever need to know is probably here: [url="http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document"]http://customs.hmrc....tyType=document[/url]

In this case, see section 3.1.

I realise that it's pretty moot as we are discussing the sending of commercial goods in this particular thread (and thus carriage costs are factored into the total for VAT calculation purposes, no ifs or buts), but I'm fed up of the needless debate about something that's set in stone.
[/quote]

hmm, I don't think it was a "We need to change this" kind of thing, more of an "Oh no, I didn't want to pay that much", which then became a bit of a "Is there a cheaper way to get them?" kind of thing. There wasn't really much debate over the duty/VAT thing I don't think.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1368450004' post='2077155']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asM056FLmg0[/media]

I am certain there is way to get these strings to the U.K at a very reasonable price .
[/quote]

BassChat didn't used to be like this...

You used to only be able to pay using paypal...

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1368451313' post='2077188']
hmm, I don't think it was a "We need to change this" kind of thing, more of an "Oh no, I didn't want to pay that much", which then became a bit of a "Is there a cheaper way to get them?" kind of thing. There wasn't really much debate over the duty/VAT thing I don't think.
[/quote]

Thanks for the thread synopsis. It doesn't change the fact that inaccuracies were being bandied about and I felt like sticking my oar in because they annoy me. Also, you can apply my comment to the entirety of the forum if you like and not just this thread - the same slack definitions and approximations are bandied about every time the subject is brought up.

There shouldn't need to be ANY debate about it, the rules are there in black and white. That's my point.

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1368274946' post='2075188']
Rubbish. He like the strings and nothing compares to them. Just pay the money and get what you want rather than compromising.
[/quote]

Hmmmm. Except that the OP clearly stated that at least one of the alternatives (LaBella) were [i]more[/i] expensive than his brand of choice! :)

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1368454041' post='2077238']
And now I've just been lumped with a VAT bill and customs handling charge for £25

Kidding
[/quote]

Haha :D

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1368453108' post='2077218']
I have aquired an ignore list to boot!

Sorry for being a catalyst to the moaning everyone. I didn't add to the facts of the thread, just got caught up with some condescending comments.
[/quote]

I wasn't being condescending. Although I could so easily be condescending when replying to this comment, but I won't, it's not exactly my style to be unnecessarily rude or aggressive.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1368451917' post='2077201']
Thanks for the thread synopsis. It doesn't change the fact that inaccuracies were being bandied about and I felt like sticking my oar in because they annoy me. Also, you can apply my comment to the entirety of the forum if you like and not just this thread - the same slack definitions and approximations are bandied about every time the subject is brought up.

There shouldn't need to be ANY debate about it, the rules are there in black and white. That's my point.
[/quote]

You're right, there shouldn't be any debate. I wasn't exactly sure of the figures and rates, which is why I didn't state any. I also couldn't be bothered much to go hunting for the numbers, since that really wasn't what I was talking about anyway.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1368452041' post='2077203']
I'm not sure I've ever unsubscribed to a thread I started before.

Well, there's a first time for everything.
[/quote]

All things considered mate, it's really not that bad. Nobody has called anybody a whore, pole dancer or taxi driver for being entertaining and musical, so it gets a thumbs up from me :D

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1368452041' post='2077203']
I'm not sure I've ever unsubscribed to a thread I started before.

Well, there's a first time for everything.
[/quote]

:lol: sometimes WOT, it's laugh or cry.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1368447736' post='2077110']
Yes it is.
[/quote]

I have a letter from the customs office saying that it is not.
VAT is payable on postage but not customs duty as I understand it and if the item value is less than £15.00 it will attract neither.

Has anyone here ever paid customs duty or VAT on anything valued at less than £15.00?

Edited by redstriper

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1368453703' post='2077230']
Hmmmm. Except that the OP clearly stated that at least one of the alternatives (LaBella) were [i]more[/i] expensive than his brand of choice! :)
[/quote]

Don't let the details get in the way of a good thread Conan ;-)

Edited by Toasted

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1368455765' post='2077261']
VAT is payable on postage but not customs duty as I understand it and if the item value is less than £15.00 it will attract neither.
[/quote]

Ah - OK. You ended it with 'etc.' and I lumped it in with all that.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1368267194' post='2075057']
FYI, mine arrived today. No import duty :)
[/quote]
Result!

BTW
Did the amount declared on the customs form on the front of the package, reflect the amount you actually paid?
Some scurrilous traders in US intentionally under declare the value of the package to avoid their customers paying import duty - good for their business innit

I've personally have lost count of the times I've had to complain about being denied the opportunity to pay some more tax, when importing strings from US

And that's the one variable that hasn't been discussed in this thread so far, declared v actual value.
The charges are based on the declared value.

[quote name='Platypus' timestamp='1368468269' post='2077465']I've personally lost count of the times I've had to complain about being denied the opportunity to pay some more tax, when importing strings from US[/quote]

:lol:

• 5 months later...