Why become a member? ×

Do you wear your glasses on stage?

MacDaddy

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1366626397' post='2054924']
Wedgees are brilliant aren't they?!
[/quote]

I'd never come across these. I generally don't wear my specs simply because of the sliding-down-sweaty-nose issue, so these look ideal - thanks! The question is will they stop the other problem of my glasses flying off and hitting the drummer when I fling my head back in moments of wild enthusiasm? :P

I don't have 20/20 vision, but it's not bad. I have one eye slightly short-sighted and one eye slightly long-sighted which results in me being able to see clearly, but I get a more comfortable experience wearing my glasses (less headache) even though my vision isn't discernibly better with them. Whether or not I wear them on stage is usually more based on appearance than anything, I've been told they make me "look intelligent" (an optical illusion) so if we're playing a gig where I fancy looking intelligent, I'll pop them on.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1366626509' post='2054926']

Presumably, they would rather you buy new glasses rather than something to make your current glasses more wearable.
[/quote]
Well I know I will be buying a new pair every time I have new glasses or these wear out so if they sold then at the counter that would be £5 for two bits of neoprene every time!

[quote name='Panamonte' timestamp='1366628773' post='2054984']

I'd never come across these. I generally don't wear my specs simply because of the sliding-down-sweaty-nose issue, so these look ideal - thanks! The question is will they stop the other problem of my glasses flying off and hitting the drummer when I fling my head back in moments of wild enthusiasm? :P
[/quote]

They really do work and I'm not involved with the company in any way, I wear them at work in the building trade and under cars etc as my other hobby, excellent!

like someone else I use prescription shades, that way I just look cool, or a pratt for wearing sunglasses indoors, take your pick, our singer went down the contact lense root when it got to the stage he couldn't read font size 28 set lists :lol:

Very good question. I have been a happy specs wearer for the past 20 years. I would never wear them onstage while acting or dancing on stage though. I got quite used to blundering about without them and didn't really have any problems unless exiting during a blackout or walking down any steps.

But when I started this bass playing lark, I realised I would have to wear them onstage otherwise I wouldn't be able to see what I was doing on the fretboard. Or see the panicked looks on the faces of the rest of the band if I went wrong. :lol:

So here was a dilemma. Because although I have no problem with how I look off stage in the specs... onstage they just really aren't rock n roll are they?* Especially for a middle aged woman. Just makes you look too mumsy.

So, now I have got meself some contact lenses! I think I look better on stage without them. But they're not that good for driving in the dark so I tend to take them out and revert to Clark Kent before I drive home. :lol:

*I know there are notable exceptions and BC's own Nigel xxldx is one of them!

My eyes are getting worse but I can't see myself being able to pull off specs onstage :unsure: only need 'em for driving, cinema etc at the moment but it's getting to the point where I can't recognise people from the stage (so might struggle to read the 'I love Ian' banners at the enormodomes in a couple of years ;)), need to look at contacts really.

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1366642123' post='2055321']
...oo!

[url="http://www.wedgees.com/"]http://www.wedgees.com/[/url]
[/quote]

Thats 'em but I found some on ebay, looks like quite a few people have found out about them as they only have the grey ones left!
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NIB-WedGees-Non-slip-Grip-Sunglasses-Eyeglasses-Spectacles-Holder-Retainers-/261199199856?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_VisionGlasses_Lenses_SM&var=&hash=item3cd0af7e70"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NIB-WedGees-Non-slip-Grip-Sunglasses-Eyeglasses-Spectacles-Holder-Retainers-/261199199856?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_VisionGlasses_Lenses_SM&var=&hash=item3cd0af7e70[/url]

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1366654182' post='2055569']
Thats 'em but I found some on ebay, looks like quite a few people have found out about them as they only have the grey ones left!
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NIB-WedGees-Non-slip-Grip-Sunglasses-Eyeglasses-Spectacles-Holder-Retainers-/261199199856?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_VisionGlasses_Lenses_SM&var=&hash=item3cd0af7e70"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NIB-WedGees-Non-slip-Grip-Sunglasses-Eyeglasses-Spectacles-Holder-Retainers-/261199199856?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_VisionGlasses_Lenses_SM&var=&hash=item3cd0af7e70[/url]
[/quote]

Reckon I'll try some grey ones then ;)

The last time I deliberately played a gig without specs was in 2007 and it was a struggle. After being out of the game for 2 years I took a dep gig and was actually told to not wear my specs by the guitarist due to image reasons. The fact that I learned their entire 10 song set in an evening then had a quick rehearsal before the gig obviously didn't cut it. It was horrible. As I'm very markedly long sighted and very short sighted in different eyes, everything is half blurred all the time. When I was younger I used to be able to tell how drunk I was by how long it took me to pull focus. Not any more. I couldn't even shut off the eye I didn't want to use. I don't mean shut it, I mean choose to ignore what your brain sees. Most people with this type of problem do this subconciously and you can train yourself to master it, but once your eyes move away from each other in prescription terms just that bit too far.... you are in serious trouble.

I had a splitting headache after 2 songs. I thought for a few minutes I was having some sort of stroke. The second I came off stage I put on my prescription sunglasses (which are so dark that you can't see anything unless it's ludicrously bright), sat down outside the bar (it was 11pm) and took 6 very, very strong painkillers and had a few cigarettes before crawling into a taxi. During the ride, the painkillers kicked in and I was getting woken up by the driver when I got out.

I resolved to never go onstage without glasses ever again.