Why become a member? ×

Any Metal Players on here?

I have searched for a Metal players thread but can't find one, though I may just be being dense.
Metal bass is often overlooked I feel, Extreme Metal even more so, though there are some ridiculous players out there under all the guitars.
Thought I'd make a place where the Metal bassists can post their stuff, unless one already exists on here in which case point me to it.

I myself have an Extreme Metal project: [url="https://www.facebook.com/ThisThingOfDarkness/app_178091127385"]This Thing Of Darkness[/url], the vocals may put some people off, but I have tried to put some interesting bass lines on the tracks.

Any other Metallers out there?

[quote name='HelloStratosphere' timestamp='1366017239' post='2047209']
Sounds good, though the vocals on the Pre-release release(?) sound a bit muddy in the mix?
Cerberus Cell is more riffy than me, and probably a bit more accessible
[/quote]

We still haven't got around to finalising the album :lol: hence a series of pre-releases :D

Yeah the mix needs a little tweaking. I'm hoping I can get my mitts on it at somepoint to bring a little more clarity to it :)

I play in an 80's big hair metal band called Iron Pussy but I reckon that's not metal to you guys. You probably would see it as borderline pop lol. Lot of respect for the true metal players out there tho. There's some awesome players in metal bands.

I used to be in a melodic death metal band, [url="http://www.myspace.com/echovirus"]www.myspace.com/echovirus[/url] called it a day about a year ago, good fun; got a Tool-esque progressive rock / metal studio project on the go at the moment, when we have some material fully recorded I'll put it up.

I play in a melodic metal band, we are recording at the moment for an album.
There are some work in progress samples here for anyone into that kind of thing
www.soundcloud.com/winterfire
Any vocals on there are just a guide at the mo but it gives you an idea of what we are goin for.
There seem to be some great metal bassists on here but im sure there are more in hiding...... Show yourselves in the name of METAL!

Edited by winterfire666

Love a bit of grind and death.
I played in a death cover band for a while but we gave up because it's really really hard to learn the songs! We did stuff like Decapitated, Cannibal Corpse, Dimmu Borgir and Napalm Death. Great fun!

My playing style's matured now and I've got selfish these days. I don't want to be buried under drums, vocals and guitars anymore! Still love putting some December Wolves on though!

Truckstop

Edited by Truckstop

Yup me too. I used to play in a Thrash Metal band called Long Time Dead. Metallica, Pantera Anthrax kinda stuff. We had some good fun and released an album and an EP over time. Good fun. I need to upload our back catalogue really.

Then did a bit more Goth Rock kinda thing called Lesbian Bed Death for a few years. Still playing for them on the side.

Now i just started out with a new lot writing Metal again, anything goes in this band. From Sabbath to White Zombie to Volbeat to Horn of the Rhino.

Never played anything else apart from rock n metal. love it.

Currently I'm in a band that is in the Sabbath/early Baroness/Isis/Kyuss territory. I don't really consider it metal but rather heavy psychedelic rock.

That is pretty much the kind of music I'd ideally have been playing over the years, although it seems that I've done pretty much every type of music apart from that! This is mainly because I have found it really hard to find people that were into the same stuff. I have no real interest in doing classic rock, NWOBHM, old school thrash or modern Trivium metal, which seemed to be all that I could find when looking for bands.

I used to play in FISTER but we're going back 15 years. [url="http://soundcloud.com/silddx/fister-apathy-in-the-uk-1999"]http://soundcloud.com/silddx/fister-apathy-in-the-uk-1999[/url]

I'm not on this recording. I used a fretless MIJ Jazz which was lovely to play in this context.

I play in a 'Metal' band but it's more downtuned stoner/doom than 'heavy metal', though I am a full on student of the art going on 22 years ;) listening not playing mind!

I like this tune, a few different movements in it. DM and BM are a bit played out for me, I mean, it's all been done a thousand times. that's just me tho Been listening to the new Marduk album recently, it's very good, quite varied. the only other one I like of theirs is Panzer Division which is an absolute blast fest. I mean, if it's gonna be heavy, dont mess about ;) I prefer bands that go all out. do you know Bethlehem? Burning Witch, Cryptopsy, all the early BM stuff. If i was gonna play insane BM, I'd be taking cues from them.

good stuff tho.

I used to be in an 80s thrash covers band which was utterly great. The guitarist moved back to the US and the drummer moved 5 hours away, so we called it a day. It was a lot of laughs, though. I have promised myself to return to metal bass playing when I have more time. Right now, I'm only in one band where we play the standard rock/pop covers. I tend to write extremely heavy stuff at home, so I get my metal fix that way. Love metal. Love it!

I used to play in metal and thrash bands. Would love to do something more extreme, blackened death metal would probably be ideal. Unfortunately, the chances of finding anyone around here that would be interested are very very slim. When we moved here a few years ago I went into a guitar shop in a relatively large town, where I mentioned the sort of music I would like to play and the chap behind the counter actually said "Yeah, we had a bloke in here talking about that stuff a few years ago."...

Really enjoying the OPs tracks, especially the vocals.

Bit more stoner rock at the moment. Just joined a doom/sludge outfit, so looking forward to giving that a try.

Was going to point Chesty out, but he's done it himself - we have Chesty from Thorun, who are a good listen; Rick from Iron Witch is on here as well. Probably a heap of others I've missed out!

I've played in several non metal bands over the years, though I am a thrash metal fan at heart! I always admired cliff burton as a teenager, and now I am trying to learn his work, I respect him even more! If I could find a thrash metal band nearby, I'd love to have a shot!

Sort of. I play guitar in this band [url="http://bit.ly/Oox4ds"]http://bit.ly/Oox4ds[/url] (We've been described as "too punk for the metal crowd, too metal for the punk crowd" on more than one occasion, so I'll let you be the judge of if we count as metal.) but we've recently had to replace our bassist.

In order to teach our new guy the songs, I've been learning to play them all on bass. It's made me realise, retrospectively, that the bass is mostly way too quiet on that last recording, and also made me pay a lot more attention to the sound coming out of our new bassist in practices.

Also, our new guy is less of a "play the guitar part and he'll just come up with something that works" type than our previous bassist, so I've been having to give a bit more thought to what the bass needs to do when putting songs together. Overall, it's been a pretty interesting experience as, despite actually playing the guitar, the whole process has made me think a lot more like a bassist at times, and generally pay it a bit more attention as an instrument, and realise I'd been neglecting its importance a bit before.

Edited by richardjmorgan