Why become a member? ×

why do so many bass players drive a Ford Focus?

Well here's my reasoning, Genz vertical 2x12 cab with Mackie desk in its oversized box lengthways with the front seat in its normal position, double bass with the scroll between the seats but not in my way at all when driving, just blocks the armrest, hiscox case with a Ray5 inside looks lost, double bass stand, rucksack and there is a gig skinz case hiding behind it with the Genz 9.2max head and pedal board inside. There is room behind the drivers seat still, enough to get the lighting rig in at least and the seat is set for me at over 6 foot tall, still gaps in the back. Some Focii have a deeper boot as this one has a full size wide wheel and a big foam surround as the space saver won't fit this model of focus, in a way its better as it makes a nice flat load area now. I thought about the estate version but well not really an issue even if you had 2 4x10s rather than a 2x12 and double bass!

I have seen comments about bass bashes looking more like a Ford Focus gathering so pics or it didnt happen etc....
[IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/FB_IMG_13652486454768527_zpsfede5c6a.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Surprised me how it ate the db! This shape focus is 6 inches longer than the first one and you can see what a difference that has made regarding not needing the estate. Btw the thing on the left is not a butt plug, the car has the weird easyfuel thing with no fuel cap, the tube is for emergency fillups or additives, not sexual doings! :D

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1365279876' post='2037680']
I well remember fitting extensive gear (Acoustic 370 and drum kit) in 2CV. These days Movano and Ifor Williams Trailer, gets the bass rig in lolx
[/quote]
My other car is a Morris 1000, I will see how much I can get in there next time!

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1365279755' post='2037678']
I had a V plate focus and had to scrap it last year. :( The wife decided that we should have a "sexy black fiesta" and there is sod all room in the back, even with the seats down.

I miss the old girl...
[/quote]
Women eh? My better half calls this our grandad car, misses her micra that did the same mpg as this (50ish) yet cost more to tax as this is only £30 a year.

I had a mk1 focus till a few days ago, I loved it, swapped it for a mk3 mondeo which isn't quite as much fun but It's wide enough to get 2 hiscox bass cases across the boot along with my rig and pedalboard and a week's food shopping and still get 5 people in the cabin.

Might get a mk2 focus estate next year though.

Matt

I used to have a Vauxhall Cavalier and got 2 Marshall cabs, 1 4x10 and 1 2x15, a Super Bass head, A Hiscock bass case, gig bag, mike stands, 2 telecasters when the back seats were folded down. Like the bloody Tardis it was. Still room for lazy 'kin' band "mate's" to bag a front seat too.

Nissan Micra. Can get my entire rig in (with cab and head in flight cases and two basses in Fender SKB hard cases) without putting the backseat down.

Summary; Bass gear is more compact and therefore more car friendly?

Why focii? because bass players are a knowledgable, well informed, intelligent breed..
.just avoid the 'kiss of death' 1.6 diesels!

Although ive bought and sold hundreds of focii my current 'squeeze' is an old london taxi....diesel auto people carrier huge area in the back....i would think they make a reasonable tour bus.

only 5 or so left in london....prices on the rise.

F F's are like arseholes - everybody's got one ( including us) so the market is flooded with used ones. I suppose when Mr or Ms Bass Player comes looking for a vehicle of that general gendre because it fits his bass playing gear transportation requirements there are more Foci on offer than other makes.

Having said that - I did turn up at a gig ( with supplied generic bass rig) on my Piaggio scooter , bass strapped to my back and gig bag in the top box.

And I've arrived at several in my Narrowboat - how rock and roll is that ? !!

I had 2 Ford Focus estates before I took up bass again. So may be the title if this thread should be " Why do so many Ford Focus owners play bass?"

Mind you I got my first one because my youngest daughter was still at Uni. I was able to fit her drumkit and all her other crap in it at the end of the year.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1365279960' post='2037682']
Btw the thing on the left is not a butt plug, the car has the weird easyfuel thing with no fuel cap, the tube is for emergency fillups or additives, not sexual doings! :D
[/quote]

Oh that's what it's for! I had better take mine out of the bedroom and put it back in the car then.

Pretty simple, it's the most common car on the road, so statistically a large number of bassists (and any other group you care to name that doesn't correct for wealth) will drive them :)

Edit: including me, '53 plate hatchback, it is quite nice that a Barefaced Compact fits perfectly in the boot

Edited by Graham