Why become a member? ×

Best year of Fender Precision

lowlandtrees

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1365263851' post='2037410']

I knew it wouldn't be long before a comment like this came along.

Point of order though. Lakland don't make a "Precision". They make what they call a "P" bass, which is a shameless copy of a Fender. They should be brave and only make models of their own design. But they don't.

There is no substitute for a Fender Precision.
[/quote]hear hear my man, couldn't agree more

Edited by rogerstodge

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1365269515' post='2037494']
Just thought I'd quote you in case you edited that bit later... :D
Are we all having an argument?? If so, it's too subtle for me to comprehend. :crazy:
[/quote]

No , we're not having an argument ! I just reinforcing the fact that I am not rubbishing Fender basses by mentioning the virtues of other brands who have derived their designs from Fender . I am saving my argumentative streak for Mrs Dingus and the Saturday night t.v schedule . I want to watch the ballet on Sky Arts but she will want to watch Match of The Day when she gets home from the pub . She's never been the same since she got that job on a building site .

For the money , an early American Vintage series 57 or 62 are the best bet before going into Custom Shop territory.

I own quite a few Precisions , and they all are slightly different in weight , feel and character .

As previously mentioned , plays lots and lots of them , you will know almost instinctively when you've picked up the one that's right for you.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1365266699' post='2037450']
You are getting me all wrong on this
[/quote]

No offence taken but it just seems that the times people can comment on here about Fenders and 70s Fenders especially without someone piping up to say they aren't the best works out about 99% of the time. I play with Rotosound strings too so I effectively get 2 bites of that cherry! I think I got both your comment and your intent but saying people buy Fender "just for the logo" is bound to ruffle a few feathers which masks what was actually a pretty fair point. It's not a big deal and I don't intend to comment any further.

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1365271227' post='2037525']
No offence taken but it just seems that the times people can comment on here about Fenders and 70s Fenders especially without someone piping up to say they aren't the best works out about 99% of the time. I play with Rotosound strings too so I effectively get 2 bites of that cherry! I think I got both your comment and your intent but saying people buy Fender "just for the logo" is bound to ruffle a few feathers which masks what was actually a pretty fair point. It's not a big deal and I don't intend to comment any further.
[/quote]

No worries , I take your point , and I like Rotosound Swingbass myself , its just that my frets didn't seem to enjoy them very much so I stopped using them a long time ago now .

Edited by Dingus

Remove the rose tinted googles.....newer the better from what i saw last autumn....sure old is romantic...in the same same way as old car is....QC has got better and better....they really are built well now ....there were enough critics when those old 'uns were new, so now they are years older with wear and tear they aint gonna be any better....those original critics are a now older,wiser and playing newer P's....

runs for cover.....

Ive owned 5 jap precisions two e serial number 80s ones
A p bass lite
A squier series and a paisley
I must say build quality is always good on the japanese ones fit and finish is always spot on
And i put an spb1 seymour duncan in my old e serial and it was my main bass for years
Ive owned two 70s a 77 & 75 i liked them both i dont mind a slight weight to a p gives it a bit more thump to my mind and i also had a 98 hot rod p bass that was the best sounding of all the p basses ive owned not because of the jazz pickup i never used it , i loved its precision sound and the neck was brilliant although it had a fair gap in the neck pocket
So to get to the point for me all the japanese ones ive tried are good and if you get one for 400 and spend 100 on a decent pickup and wiring you have a p bass to be reckoned with and as for usa models i think mainly because of expense best to try before you buy and find the right one for you

I guess the best years for Fender are the pre CBS years, maybe even the slab fingerboard up to about mid 62. Which means extremely expensive!

People talk about how terrible the CBS years were but a few really great instruments escaped the factory despite most of the tools and jigs being knackered.

Things have improved dramatically now but I'd still recommend trying before you buy, there are plenty of alright basses but few really exceptional ones.

Just play as many P basses and derivatives as you can get your hands on irrespective of age, country of manufacture or logo on the headstock and one of them will feel right for you.

Edited by Fat Rich

I always work on the principle that the bst year for Precisions is the year they made the one you like most.

I favour the immediate post CBS era (66 to 73) because they seem to be consistenty light and I have an aversion to reissue tort scratchplates that look nothing like an original one (so get the Bass Doc to make a replacement for you!!!). Pre CBS are usually nice but so expensive so I don't really count them. I've had plenty of those and there some duff ones out there for sure.

The best 'new' Precision I have is a '75 3T ash bodied Japanese Precision which was stunning right out of the box. Im going to get another tort plate from Howard to replace the black one but it represents (to me anyway) the best value in terms of build quality/playability/weight etc.

Must confess I haven't tried a brand new USA Fender so I accept any criticism for not mentioning those.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1365330467' post='2038031']
I favour the immediate post CBS era (66 to 73) because they seem to be consistenty light...
[/quote]

+1. The reduction in quality and cost-cutting associated with post-CBS Fenders happened over a period of time, so there wasn't an abrupt cut-off point early in 1965 when Leo sold the business. There are still post-1965 'bargains' to be had...

Edit: This may entertain you...
[url="http://timeelect.com/64pbass.htm"]http://timeelect.com/64pbass.htm[/url]

OK and this, while I'm on!
[url="http://timeelect.com/400-histy.htm"]http://timeelect.com/400-histy.htm[/url]
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1365263851' post='2037410']
I knew it wouldn't be long before a comment like this came along.

Point of order though. Lakland don't make a "Precision". They make what they call a "P" bass, which is a shameless copy of a Fender. They should be brave and only make models of their own design. But they don't.

There is no substitute for a Fender Precision.
[/quote]
Your opinion. Mine is that, unfortunately for Fender, there are other manufacturers out there who build their designs better than they do....so there are plenty of substitutes for Fender Precision's.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1365342451' post='2038224']
Your opinion. Mine is that, unfortunately for Fender, there are other manufacturers out there who build their designs better than they do ...so there are plenty of substitutes for Fender Precisions.
[/quote]

Yes - and what [i]is[/i] unique about a P-Bass anyway? Apart from the fact it used to be the [i]only[/i] bass available, it essentially sounds like it does because of a split pick-up which happens to be located at a certain position. That's it, apart from an instantly-recognisable body and headstock shape, which has nothing at all to do with the way it sounds, anyway.

Not that I'm complaining - the continued success of the P-Bass (and its imitators) is due to this simplicity, imho.

Edited by discreet

One good thing about the amount of choice on the market when it comes to Precision - style basses is that you can fine - tune ( no pun intended ) your choice according to your own preferences . As I mentioned previously , neck shapes very greatly , as does hardware and things like fret size : a lot of people like Lakland basses because of the vintage - style narrow fretwire , whereas if you like jumbo frets you would be better off looking elsewhere . We all know there are great Fenders out there from every era if you can find them - that unpredictability and individual character from one instrument to another is part of what's so great about Fender basses but is also a big part of why they can leave you banging your head against the wall in frustration and disappointment .

Why not consider this?

[IMG]http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p611/jamesyjamesyjamesy/7C8F0A14-09FD-4687-8B66-ADA7EE870608-976-000000B54B78282D_zps686f7bfd.jpg[/IMG]

New from Fender this year. It's quite interesting looking if you ask me.

EDIT: okay, maybe not. I just checked the price tag for one of these. *faints*

Edited by ChickenKiev

I have a Squier JV 1983 Precision, a 1974 Precision which has been restored and a 2001 Corona era Precision recently purchased from this forum. All three cost under £600 each - having spent vast amounts of cash over the years on vintage Fenders I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the Corona era USA Precision - it really is fantastic value for money with a great growls core sound and a superb neck. My '74 will always be my favourite as I have invested a lot of TLC in bringing it back to life and it just feels so comfy to play. If you can't find a Corona under £700 or you are on a limited budget and fancy something with vintage kudos and can't afford a JV era try a SQ era Squier - again superb Japanese instruments.
Good luck!

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1365359273' post='2038533']
I have a Squier JV 1983 Precision, a 1974 Precision which has been restored and a 2001 Corona era Precision recently purchased from this forum. All three cost under £600 each - having spent vast amounts of cash over the years on vintage Fenders I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the Corona era USA Precision - it really is fantastic value for money with a great growls core sound and a superb neck. My '74 will always be my favourite as I have invested a lot of TLC in bringing it back to life and it just feels so comfy to play. If you can't find a Corona under £700 or you are on a limited budget and fancy something with vintage kudos and can't afford a JV era try a SQ era Squier - again superb Japanese instruments.
Good luck!
[/quote]
good advice - there is a hell of a lot of (very expensive inducing) mojo in old fenders - I have heard very good things about current fenders - in the mix you will not be able to tell the difference between a mojoed £6000 pre-cbs precision and a recent £500 precision - betya <_<

[quote name='ChickenKiev' timestamp='1365358592' post='2038522']
Why not consider this?
[/quote]

I refer you to this thread on that very bass. :D
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/196296-2013-closet-classic-precision/page__hl__2013%20closet%20precision"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/196296-2013-closet-classic-precision/page__hl__2013%20closet%20precision[/url]

Really glad that I started this conversation. It has beat out some ideas that I previously had. It has also put me off Ebloke for this sort of purchase. Will put on me bits and start tramping round the geetah shops.........the only shops that I voluntarily enter anyway. Thanks for the opinions.

There isn't a best year for Fender instruments.

Conveyor belt manufacturing defeats all notions that there are good and bad years. There [i]are[/i] good and bad instruments and a bass that is one persons tone monster can easily be another’s boat anchor.

Fender has been patchy for QC since 1949, although they are reported to have got much better in the last 5 or 6 years.

Many Fender players just seem to be happy that it says Fender on the headstock, and that seems to be what Fender rely on.

You’ve just got to play as many as you can and you’ll find one you like. I’d suggest that you also look at Jazz and Precision basses made by other companies. They rarely get slagged off for making bad instruments.

The oldest I've owned was a 68. Played many others including a 57, 63, 66 and lots of 70s models. I'm a bit vague on 80s and 90s ones.
I prefer the recent ones to be honest. I like my 2007 best. It's a lot better than my 68 was and nearly all the 70s ones I've played. There is the odd gem form the 70s but I'd want to try before I handed over any dosh. That said there was a variance of 2007 models when I bought mine too.
The old ones certainly look a lot cooler with the maple going amber and a few dings here and there. That's important too. If it makes you feel better when you're playing it you'll probably play it better.