Why become a member? ×

Radio 2 Top 100 albums - your verdict please!

Marvin

Keane at number 2? I am not aware of this popular music combination or it's oevre.

Surprised to see Tommy by The Who. I would have thought Who's Next or Live at Leeds.

I see Stars by Simply Red is still hanging in there. Back in the 90s I was dismayed to see it came top in a Radio 1 top 100 thingy. Very tediuos IMHO.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1364853621' post='2031899']
To be fair it was from a pre-selected list of popular albums they regularly played; only one appearance by any artist allowed - and no greatest hits types.
[/quote]

If you were being cynical then, you may argue it's a bit of a stitch up? :)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1364854480' post='2031923']
If you were being cynical then, you may argue it's a bit of a stitch up? :)[/quote]

Not really cynical; but so qualified as to make it fairly redundant as any measure of popularity or credit. Just an easy schedule on a bank holiday.
I stopped paying attention to any kind of "Top XX" a long time ago.

I find it very hard to believe that Coldplay could even come into the top 100, let alone make it to number 1. Coldplay, Keane and Duran Duran as the top 3 just about shows how serious anyone should take this :D .

You read through it thinking yes, yes, yes and then all of a sudden you come across Maroon 5 and then Shania Twain !

Edited by ambient

It is irrelevant.In 30 years time, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones etc, will still be in the list, Keane and Coldplay, will have been forgotten.Tommy, was not as good as Quadrophenia in my opinion .Fairly happy to see ELO in the list.I always think they are under rated

The key is this:

"Earlier this year, we asked listeners to pick their favourite from our list of[b]Radio 2's Top 100 Most Played Albums[/b]." With the last bit emphasised.

So the vote is made up from the albums Radio 2 plays most. Hence why many peoples faves aren`t on there. It isn`t a "Your fave album of all time" it`s a "Pick your fave from the listed options".

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1364891341' post='2032139']
So Macca gets in three times?
[/quote]

Presumably; in the bits I heard there was a Beatles song & a Wings song - I assume the third is a solo effort? I suppose Lennon could have done the same if he'd been good enough ;) Hence the common feeling about surveys & polls.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1364887471' post='2032099']
The key is this:

"Earlier this year, we asked listeners to pick their favourite from our list of[b]Radio 2's Top 100 Most Played Albums[/b]." With the last bit emphasised.

So the vote is made up from the albums Radio 2 plays most. Hence why many peoples faves aren`t on there. It isn`t a "Your fave album of all time" it`s a "Pick your fave from the listed options".
[/quote]

This. Closely followed by 'so what?'