Why become a member? ×

Bass dilemma - opinions sought

niceguyhomer

A few weeks ago I treated myself to a new US Precision, it's a lovely bass and since I put some Labella flats on it, I can't put it down.

When I bought the P, there was a 2012 US Jazz there too and I couldn't make my mind up between that and the P but decided to follow my original plan.

Since then, I've been really hankering after a 2012 Jazz with CS pups, trouble is, two bass rules apply which means I'd have to sell this;

It's a Clover Avenger Custom - easily one of the best basses I've owned but GAS is GAS.

I'd probably lose a wad - they're almost twice the price of a new Jazz.

What would you do?

Edited by niceguyhomer

I don't think I'd sell that.. but I am not sure what you are after apart from GAS.

I have GAs for 2 sets of cabs but I don't need any of them... so I am in no hurry to make a choice which may well not work out anyway...

Now, if you HAD to sell as the bass had no use at all... then that is different, but apart from the 'one-in, one-out' rule..which is pretty stupid in itself :lol:
I don't see why you need to go thru all this..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1364463212' post='2026726']
I don't think I'd sell that.. but I am not sure what you are after apart from GAS.

I have GAs for 2 sets of cabs but I don't need any of them... so I am in no hurry to make a choice which may well not work out anyway...

Now, if you HAD to sell as the bass had no use at all... then that is different, but apart from the 'one-in, one-out' rule..which is pretty stupid in itself :lol:
I don't see why you need to go thru all this..
[/quote]

I don't NEED to sell it to buy the Jazz but everytime I've had 3 basses, one never leaves it's case so it's self imposed. It doesn't make any sense at all selling this because it's a much much better bass and even does a great impression of a Jazz but as I said GAS is GAS innit.

Hi Al,

My rule would be; does the Jazz sound better than the Clover ?

If it does, get it.

If it doesn't then forget about it.

If you just [i]want[/i] a jazz, get it. But as it's just GAS temorarily expand your rule to include 3 basses. You'll sort out which one gets the playing and sell the other in your own time.

I can't see the Jazz being better than the Clover, but then I wouldn't buy a new Fender anyway.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' timestamp='1364463421' post='2026733']
I don't NEED to sell it to buy the Jazz but everytime I've had 3 basses, one never leaves it's case so it's self imposed.
[/quote]

I have a brood of 9 with a rule - "all instruments are to be played". Not my rule, but I'm happy to comply - I play 'em all on rotation. I even keep a wee spreadsheet to keep track of how many gigs each one has done. Sad maybe, but I like to keep a note of every gig I played - when, where, who with, which bass.

Tools for the job, if the Jazz will do what you want better than the Clover, get one. If you don`t need to sell the Clover, don`t. But, if you can`t fund one without the other going, make sure which is the right one.

I don't NEED to sell it to buy the Jazz but everytime I've had 3 basses, one never leaves it's case so it's self imposed. It doesn't make any sense at all selling this because it's a much much better bass and even does a great impression of a Jazz but as I said GAS is GAS innit.
[/quote]

Then sell the one that never leaves its case. Easy.

[/quote]

GAS is overrated... if you can afford to have 3 basses at any one time and the only criteria that one gets left behind...
See which one stays in the case the most often..and that is the one you don't need.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1364464679' post='2026759']
Life's too short Alan. If you want a Jazz get a Jazz and enjoy it :)
[/quote]

This. Its a relatively inexpensive hobby, compared to say a car enthusiast who will spend £1000s on a new car, for it then to blow its turbo on its first outing, to then cost another £1000 for the parts and labour, (this happened to my close friend). Said close friend still won't pony up for a new Gibson Thunderbird even though he has wanted one for 16+ years since we were kids. That £1000 turbo wasted cash could have been spent on a new bass which would, yes, lose a little money, but an instrument is nowhere near as high maintenance and won't be scrap in 5-10 years.

Bass/Guitar/instrument collecting is a good hobby for me. I enjoy playing and I enjoy collecting. I could be wasting it on all sorts of rubbish, but I'd prefer new gear.

Get the Jazz, keep the other two. The new American Standards are, IMO, VERY good value for money with the current rebate, (under £1000 for a top spec Fender with a brilliant hardcase).

I sometimes make a decision to buy bass A, but understand that with A, maybe bass B or C would be surplus. So I decide that at least one bass will go.

Which one?

I'd rather decide after I've had A (unless I am sure A is a keeper) for a bit, so that I can make a good decision. Sometimes it's bass A which fails to satisfy after the honeymoon period.
If money is not the main issue... get the Jazz, and give yourself a month or two before you decide which bass goes.