Why become a member? ×

Basschat community kudos

Fionn

I'd just like to give big ups to the Basschat community.

There have been a few forums that I've dipped in and out of in my years of using the internet, but I must say, in comparison to other forums that I'm familiar with, Basschat has been the most cordial, informative, helpful, and generally refreshing of the lot. Sure, the occasional bawbag or chancer will surface here from time to time, but by and large you guys are great. You're a treasure chest of knowledge, interesting information, and considered opinion ... a superb sounding-board to the other randoms of your kind, such as myself.

Not every large specific-interest forum grouping is like this. I've found other of these "shared interest groupings" to be of a completely different culture, with huge proliferations of ignorance and arrogance. From groups that you might not expect to be too bad either. Climbers forums can be really horrible, for example.

I have come to the opinion that this is a cultural thing. Generally, that bass players as a grouping somehow share a certain resonance (beyond the obvious), and within that voodoo there is some messure of the code that makes a more agreeable human. It seems that we're just that wee bit more mellow than most.

All sweeping generalisations, of course.

Glad I'm a bass player :)

Fionn, what a great post! Yup, I have to totally agree. I've spent time on many other forums and this is the one I always keep coming back to. So much so that eventually *they* decided I can't leave and gave me a job to do!

Well over ten years now, in fact since being a founder member of the original Bassworld forum I've been involved with this community - it's brilliant, free, accessible and friendly. Feels like a great local pub where everyone just wants to hang out and have a drink together. For that, it's why I've been 'working behind the bar for free' for so long. You just can't buy this kinda awesomeness!

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1363976532' post='2020491']I'd just like to give big ups to the Basschat community... Generally, that bass players as a grouping somehow share a certain resonance (beyond the obvious), and within that voodoo there is some messure of the code that makes a more agreeable human. It seems that we're just that wee bit more mellow than most.[/quote]

Amen to that! :drinks:

I think the very nature of the instrument makes bass players the kind of people who don't normally crave attention like the egomaniacal tw@s that can be found playing other instruments (like recorder players... [i]eugh[/i], nightmares!).

Group hug, etc.

I totally agree.

BC has a special 'something' that is so rare to find within the anonymity of internet forums.

OK, I'm a mod.
I expect to hear the murmur of "of course he's going to say that" in the distance.

However, I wasn't always a mod and it's the impressions I got of the community in my early days here that made me say "I'd be honoured" when I was asked to be one.

I think you're all fab :)

I agree with this sentiment too. I`ve found people to be very helpful when asking about gear, but as well as that, when trading gear, and I`ve bought/sold a lot, I`ve had nothing but good dealings with my fellow Basschatters, including some very nice cups of tea & chats when delivering/collecting.

I think the Off Topic area shows how we all look after each other by offering advice, support and kind words. Basschat is the only internet forum I`m a member of - well I did join the EBMM one, but since selling the `Rays have lapsed that - and I have no real desire to join any others.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1363978825' post='2020542']
I agree with this sentiment too. I`ve found people to be very helpful when asking about gear, but as well as that, when trading gear, and I`ve bought/sold a lot, I`ve had nothing but good dealings with my fellow Basschatters, including some very nice cups of tea & chats when delivering/collecting.
[/quote]

Indeed, there's the occasional spat but you know, welcome to the internet. Nothing but good stories from the sales and trades I've had on here either.

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1363976532' post='2020491']
Climbers forums can be really horrible, for example.
[/quote]

Yep.

I've found them to be full of overly competitive types who are either 'better' than you in reality, and make sure you know it, or feel the need to be nasty if they're not.

Last time I browsed one I came away knowing that I was probably going to be carrying some of those people off of a mountain in the future and they wouldn't be quite as full of themselves then...

OK, Fionn, lay it on the line. What is it that you're [i]really [/i]after..? Fishing for a 'mod' job..? Want some extra votes in the photo competition..? A discount for advertising one of your basses..? Don't be shy; we can take it. After such a 'warm fuzzy' post, my cynical self senses a hidden agenda.
No..? I'm barking up the wrong tree..? You're sincere..? Well blow me down..! That's a new one on me. Someone content on a forum..! Hey, Mum, come and look at this..! Someone's [i]happy [/i]on a forum..! Yes, yes; I kid you not..! Look... :mellow:

Not been here long, but have had some very helpful interactions with people. I have tried to write some reviews, as a small way of giving back. Basschat is great.

There is one very bad aspect to basschat tho..... It has got me way too interested in loads of second hand gear at great prices!! My wallet is not happy, but my GAS is!!!!

(By the way I didn't know what GAS was before I came here. Glad I've discovered a legitimate medical condition to why I need to keep buying!)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1363978357' post='2020527']BC has a special 'something' that is so rare to find within the anonymity of internet forums.[/quote]

Yes, but he's very modest with it - and when he takes his silk gloves off you could walk past him in the street.