Why become a member? ×

A Plea, a Rant, a Call to Arms, whatever ..

xilddx

[size=4][quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1362082434' post='1995591'][/size]I forgot how much fun this is.
[/quote]

Yay! I forgot for a while, too. Got a bit lost, but luckily found my way back. :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1362082434' post='1995591']
I may even attempt a trombone solo.
[/quote]

Is that a euphemism..?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1362042615' post='1994776']
I only come on BC at work, never have the time at home, and I can't listen to music at work...

... but yeh I do feel very guilty, considering some BCers have been very nice about my bands' music
[/quote]

This mainly (despite currently being on at home, and hooked up to decent speakers)
However,when I am at home on a PC with speakers, it is usually because I am doing some kind of musically based work which requires use of said speakers.
I try to listen to fellow BCers stuff while I have wee breaks, and I generally manage to vote in the Composition Competition, and am trying to get time to listen to the mixing one as well.

Nige is very right, and I also must add, that the Missus doesn't like it much when I slope off to sit at a computer without her, and only occasionally believes me that I am listening to music.
Modern life gets in the way, if this had existed back when I was 15 it would have been perfect.
:)
And any time any of you are playing in Hatherleigh, I will come. Takes a lot to get me to go to Exeter/Plymouth on a night out mind. :)

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1362068791' post='1995303']
I see your point, but in my case, when I fail to listen to the tracks in the Composition comp and vote, there is a simpler reason: lack of time. In order to choose one song, I usually need to listen to all of them more or less at the same time, or I won't be able to remember which one I prefer. I can obviously get back to each of them more than once - and I tend to do just that if possible - but that again takes time.
I have also been suggesting we get a collection (either online or on CD) not just of each month's winners but of all the tracks that have been posted in the comps, if their authors allow. Choosing a winner doesn't mean I don't like the other tracks, and it would be good to have them all at hand rather than having to dig them out of the online jungle one by one. From that to sharing links on FB or wherever, or getting friends to listen to the songs in real life, would be just one small step.
[/quote]

Silvia, you are a Basschat hero, so no case to answer :) Jim Ryan and all those taking part in the BC Bass Relay are others, there are more.

Nice crusade, Nige :-)
I've seen several Basschatters live, and have enjoyed the music of many others, either by buying a CD or just listening online.
I've found that diverting time from the endless string of threads on 5 strings, fenders, which amp, narwhale tusk v cameltoe nut etc. and listening to the competition entries is time well spent. I've even spread the love by sending a link to Dave Vader's Rola Cola song to a mate, who loves it.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1362042837' post='1994778']
You've forgotten ANTA (joegarcia) and Alpha Male Tea Party ([url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/2848-d-l-b/"][color="#282828"]D-L-B[/color][/url]) who are 2 of my favourite bands in the last couple of years.

There's also Caricatures (Mr Foxen) and Rattlin' Bones (Clarky's old band),
[/quote]

Truly flattered. Thank you!

There's a new Alpha Male Tea Party EP about to drop so keep your eyes peeled and your ears... something else that rhymes with peeled.
Sadly the EP is my last effort with AMTP. :( I've had to bow out after three years of travelling between London and Liverpool as it's becoming a bit too much to keep up. I still love the band and wish I could carry on but the commitment to it meant I was missing out on too much other stuff. If I was in the same city I'd still be doing it.
They have found a replacement super quick though and will be smashing on so all is not lost. :)

I rarely promote my band on here because there is so little interest, which is fairy nuff - why should I expect anyone else to dig the music I love to make?
I recently posted a link to our new album and as usual received not a single comment.
It's fine though - we are not special or unique - just another band well used to rejection, doing it for love not money :)

Here's the link in case you missed it (lol):
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/199139-new-tacsi-album-free-download/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/199139-new-tacsi-album-free-download/page__fromsearch__1[/url]

Great post indeed.

As if I needed any more guilt than I already feel! :(

However, apart from Alpha Male Tea Party, I also sorely missed [i][b]In Tyler We Trust[/b][/i] and [b][i]Abandoned Stars[/i][/b] - two more BC'ers bands that IMhO are great. Proudly wear my ITWT t-shirt as often as it's clean or not too smelly (and I also have an AS button in a drawer somewhere :lol: ).

Sadly I predict that I won't listen to much more than I did in the past. Am trying though, and trying to spread the word.
I can't make myself to vote before having heard every song twice and concentrated. This takes time. Nonsense to some, essential for me.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1362090403' post='1995782']
Nice crusade, Nige :-)
I've seen several Basschatters live, and have enjoyed the music of many others, either by buying a CD or just listening online.
I've found that diverting time from the endless string of threads on 5 strings, fenders, which amp, narwhale tusk v cameltoe nut etc. and listening to the competition entries is time well spent. I've even spread the love by sending a link to Dave Vader's Rola Cola song to a mate, who loves it.
[/quote]

I think I love you Roland :)
If you are ever in Devon i will buy you a drink, and possibly have your babies (if we can find a way)
:gas:
[size=4]Seriously, thanks a lot mate, dead good of you.[/size]

[quote name='D-L-B' timestamp='1362091535' post='1995818']
Truly flattered. Thank you!

There's a new Alpha Male Tea Party EP about to drop so keep your eyes peeled and your ears... something else that rhymes with peeled.
Sadly the EP is my last effort with AMTP. :( I've had to bow out after three years of travelling between London and Liverpool as it's becoming a bit too much to keep up. I still love the band and wish I could carry on but the commitment to it meant I was missing out on too much other stuff. If I was in the same city I'd still be doing it.
They have found a replacement super quick though and will be smashing on so all is not lost. :)
[/quote]

Has said replacement also got an awesome bass tone?

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1362093068' post='1995860']
I rarely promote my band on here because there is so little interest, which is fairy nuff - why should I expect anyone else to dig the music I love to make? I recently posted a link to our new album and as usual received not a single comment. It's fine though - we are not special or unique - just another band well used to rejection, doing it for love not money :) [size=4]Here's the link in case you missed it (lol): [/size][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/199139-new-tacsi-album-free-download/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]
[/quote]

I [i]did [/i]miss it, and have just listened to [i]nine [/i]great numbers! [size=4]Loving the [/size][size=4]dub/reggae/ska late 70s/early 80s feel! Excellent political/social commentary lyrics and very nice recording too, Steve. :gas:[/size]

[size=4]Nigel is right. We really should spend more time listening to BC's home-grown talent and less time talking about mens' nipples! :unsure:[/size]

am at work, so can't listen to stuff here, will as usual make a mental note to go and listen to tacsi,
and then as usual get home, hook the computer up to the speakers and completely forget what I did it for, and then fail to listen to tacsi again.

Apologies to all, i do this a lot....
:(

I'm as guilty as anyone else for not appreciating other artists work on here.
I do listen to anything that takes my fancy and I have enjoyed a couple of things very much, but a lot is not to my taste and I'm sure that's the same for many of us.
Best 3 finds for me were Kit Richardson, Hour Of The Dog and Jake Brown's version of Superstition at a college session.

Great thread & top posts.
BC is a brilliant place.
I have listened to bits &Bobs of stuff from here, Mr venom & the tt's, kit r, helicals etc but hereby promise to MAKE more time to listen because it all has merit, wether I like it or not, it is good to listen to different stuff, genres I dont think I like, for the love of music & to be challenged sometimes.
Will post my stuff too if I can get over being intimidated by the excellence of a lot of the stuff I have heard here already! Thats my issues to get over! ;-)
Less looking/gassing at the bc market place, more listening to new music, is my pledge!
Cheers,
Norm

Excellent post Nige, I've seen over half a dozen London based BC bands (including Nige's band Kit Richardson) and also Burrito Bass' (aka Tim's) excellent non-London band Case Hardin, plus Pete Academy's Nearly Dan and BRX' Dick Venom. Enjoyed all of them

So ... shameless plug ... if anyone's stuck for summat to do on Thursday 14th they could always wander over to the Half Moon in Putney to hear some "gypsy Fleetwood Mac" => http://www.timeandleisure.co.uk/whats-on/previews/2338-preview-all-the-queens-ravens.html

Edited by Clarky

I've just read this. Cheque's in the post Lozz.
I've enjoyed all the BCers bands I've seen and they've all been lovely people. I think we've played gigs with 4 other BCers bands and that's been a lot of fun too.
I must look at those composition threads and so forth too. I'm guilty of ignoring them.
I'm also lacking in the other 'social' aspect. Bass shows and bashes. Hopefully they're not the slap fests I imagine. Maybe I should try one?

If any BCer in an originals band is interested we've currently got a space free on our 10th May gig at the Grey Horse in Kingston. PM me.

I've seen a couple of bands off BC, Kit Richardson (with Monsieur Nige on the bass guitar looking dapper as hell behind his shiny chrome bangstick) who both times I saw them were superb, and the phangtastic Dick Venom with Mr BigRedX on bass, who were absolutely awesome too, more energy than a thermite reaction.

I'd get out and seee more bands if I could, but I'm a terribly old middle aged fart and am constantly busy or knackered, which is a rubbish excuse but its all I've got.

I would love to see a few more people find the time to listen and comment on the mix competition, and offer up their tracked stems for [s]butchery[/s] mixing by us, but this isnt wannabesoundengineerchat after all and some people may (mistakenly) feel they arent really qualified to comment so much.

The Bass Bashes have been great fun (I've been to plenty now) lovely people, lovely gear (some idiot banging on about compressors all the time though) and not too much slapping at all that I've noticed....

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1362133512' post='1996134']
Has said replacement also got an awesome bass tone?
[/quote]

I can't comment yet as I haven't got to see them live but I'm sure he knows what he's doing ;)

Here's the video to the tune "Tuffles" from the forthcoming Alpha Male Tea Party EP. Entirely self produced.
Although the recordings are all mine I don't appear in the video as it was made after I'd left and it's only fair that the new guy features since it'll be him promoting the songs by playing them live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyBnWs5RTvQ&sns=em

[quote name='D-L-B' timestamp='1362657551' post='2002801']
Here's the video to the tune "Tuffles" from the forthcoming Alpha Male Tea Party EP. Entirely self produced.
[/quote]

Great tune and [i]very [/i]amusing vid! :D
Amazing what you can do with a few sandwiches. ;)

Just a cheeky advertisement.

A band I've just joined "Gossip Wolf and the Fox" are in a "battle of the bands" event on the 22nd March in Cambridge at the Portland Arms.

Pop over and say hi if you can make it.

(PS. This isn't that horrible screamy metal that I usually play ;) this is Indie / Acoustic / Folk for a complete change of pace)

Nice score Charic! Could I also be cheeky and add my band's gig this Thursday at half Moon, Putney to the cheeky advertising list. So far, Low End Bee is coming but looks like he will be rather lonely, at least as far as BCers go. Does anyone want to join him for a pint of mild and some good "gypsy Fleetwood Mac"?

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1363077642' post='2007832']
Nice score Charic! Could I also be cheeky and add my band's gig this Thursday at half Moon, Putney to the cheeky advertising list. So far, Low End Bee is coming but looks like he will be rather lonely, at least as far as BCers go. Does anyone want to join him for a pint of mild and some good "gypsy Fleetwood Mac"?
[/quote]
Sorry I can't be there mate. Have a great show!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1362657821' post='2002809']

Great tune and [i]very [/i]amusing vid! :D
Amazing what you can do with a few sandwiches. ;)
[/quote]

+1 cool tune & vid, love the digging in sound from the bass, getting stuck in!