Why become a member? ×

Bridges

Olly230770

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1361553630' post='1987515']
In my experience, no bridge betters the original in any way except being rough on your hand if you happen to play that way. So the design faults, in any meaningful sense, don't exist.
If it's hurting your hand, change it. If it doesn't, don't waste your cash.

[b]PS I'd be willing to bet a large sum that no-one, ever, has ever been able to demonstrate any meaningful 'flexibility' in any fender supplied BBOT.
Unless they used a hammer.[/b]
[/quote]
I don't like them, but they're ok. The Warwick bridge / tailpiece is one of the best designs IMO. I think top loading is so useful, you can take off the strings and put them back with so little effort. Doing that on a BBOT is a right pain. Leo did NOT get that right really.

Trust someone who knows all about this after 35 years of fitting replacement bridges to Fenders (mostly Badass)

The best option is to go for the Gotoh 201. Does everything the badass will do; direct replacement for Fender/Squier stock bridge, and sounds every bit as good as much more expensive models.

Edited by White Cloud

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1361544799' post='1987306']
I agree. The only reason I'd replace a bridge would be for adjustability.
[/quote]

what he said...

I personally like the old Fender BBOT style bridge... it does *nearly* everything I'd like it to do and it looks good on a P and J bass. Better even one of those with the threaded saddles, so you can even adjust the string spacing a little bit (I have one in a Jazz that gets me 20-21mm spacing, and it just works).

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1361558289' post='1987631']
Trust someone who knows all about this after 35 years of fitting replacement bridges to Fenders (mostly Badass)

The best option is to go for the Gotoh 201. Does everything the badass will do; direct replacement for Fender/Squier stock bridge, and sounds every bit as good as much more expensive models.
[/quote]

This.

I also think that it looks nicer than a Badass but that's just my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

After reading this article, I've decided in favour of the Gotoh 201 for my '71 Jazz Bass instead of a Badass II. Would I still be able to install the bridge cover over the Gotoh 201? Mention has been made that it won't work with a Badass installed. This isn't a deciding factor, just wondering since I'm busy ordering the parts needed to complete the project.

I only replace bridges in order to improve functionality (for instance, offering string spacing adjustment where the stock on doesn't - and usually in order to combat something like a less than ideal pickup position or a [i]slightly[/i] wacky neck angle. Top loading is a nice bonus). Or to get rid of a Gibson three point bridge, just because I think it's a deficient design in so many ways. Yes, it top loads, but you haven't even got individual string height adjustment, COME ON!

In my opinion, replacement bridges change the sound in one's head mostly. Yes, scientifically speaking the parameters have changed so something must change, but if you want to beef up the sound of your bass, the pickups are your #1 target, as that's where (in my humble opinion) 80-90% of the sound of an electric bass comes from with all the other disparate variables - wood types, bridge mass, neck join, string type etc. making up the rest - yes I do believe it is [i]that[/i] insignificant. Oh, and try adjusting the pickups you've got first before drooling over some Lindy Fralins - are they the right distance from the strings? Second, probably strings. Different materials and gauges with interact differently with the magnetic field surrounding the pickups. THEN tackle how the string moves/interacts with the body/neck with different bridges.

THIS IS ALL MY OWN OPINION AND SHOULD IN NO WAY BE MISCONSTRUED AS FACT. Ithankyou.

I replaced the bridge on my US jazz with a BadassIII but I think the difference in sound is pretty minimal. I just cba to switch it back to the original. If I ever sell it (doubt I will, it's a great player) I'd just include the original bridge as a separate item. I haven't bothered swapping the bridges on the P basses I own, the deluxe in particular with the active circuit will provide as much sustain as anyone would want in a proper gigging situation.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1363273496' post='2010835']
I once put a Badass II on a Jazz but I wasn't chasing magic sustain or desiring adjustability or anything like that. The simple fact of the matter was that my E string saddle kept losing height while I played it, requiring constant adjustment, because the stock Fender bridge is a piece of garbage.
[/quote]
I had a friend with a Jazz bass with that problem. He just needed a new saddle.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1361558289' post='1987631']

[/quote]

As someone having done the same I couldn't disagree more. The bridge on the Squier is fine. Replacing the bridge would be like replacing a Honda steering wheel on a Cadillac steering wheel. You just don't have to.

I just brought a bassass for a build project, but Ive never brought a replacement bridge for any stock bass I've owned.

If a bridge, which is effectively a piece of metal with few parts, on a new bass (for aurguments sake lets say which costs £500 and over) is not as good as current engineering and knowledge allows then it should be, can't be anything wrong with a fender or similar stock bridge surely?

I don't also get the sustain thing, a bridge is a solid lump, attached to a solid body, couldn't get more solid, surely beyond the string you can only dampen or mute, not increase sustain ? Just asking

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1363296187' post='2011328']
[/quote]

I've come across a few with the same problem, it seems some people fix it with glue in the screw thread or by wedging something under the saddle. I just took it off and put a proper bridge on.

Honestly in nearly 70 years of making basses couldn't they come up with something better than that? It's not like their instruments are cheap.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1363299226' post='2011379']
I've come across a few with the same problem, it seems some people fix it with glue in the screw thread or by wedging something under the saddle. I just took it off and put a proper bridge on.

Honestly in nearly 70 years of making basses couldn't they come up with something better than that? It's not like their instruments are cheap.
[/quote]
I've never needed anything better, it's always worked for me.

I've just ordered one of these from Amazon today
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BR0O6FC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It doesn't say what make it is, but I think it might be a Sung il made in Korea.

Not sure what to expect from it soundwise, but I'll let you all know if I notice anything drastic.
Only bought it really beacause I think the Fender style bridge on my Yamaha BB is letting the rest of the guitar down a bit in the looks department!
Glad I ordered it before I discovered the Babicz bridges, I'd deffo would have had one of those even at 5 times the price!

some people swear by the standard fender type bridge . . .look at the pensa shur jazz 3k bass with bog standard . .personally,i cant tell much difference!! but badass and gotoh look alot better imo . .have badass on my blade bass

[quote name='garry71' timestamp='1363550591' post='2014048']
I've just ordered one of these from Amazon today
[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BR0O6FC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/url]

It doesn't say what make it is, but I think it might be a Sung il made in Korea.

Not sure what to expect from it soundwise, but I'll let you all know if I notice anything drastic.
Only bought it really beacause I think the Fender style bridge on my Yamaha BB is letting the rest of the guitar down a bit in the looks department!
Glad I ordered it before I discovered the Babicz bridges, I'd deffo would have had one of those even at 5 times the price!
[/quote]

Has it arrived? Any good? Curious...

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1364059549' post='2021521']
Has it arrived? Any good? Curious...
[/quote]

Yes I've had it on for a couple of weeks now. It has 4 fixing holes, not 5 like on the original but managed to fit it ok with some new holes. It's very well built, chunky and fairly heavy. Can't really compare the sound differences at the moment as I've only just started playing bass again and hadn't played it much with the old bridge on. I'll swap them over again soon and then see how they compare for sound.

It does look loads better than the old bridge, and it doesn't have the allen screws sticking up, so no edges to catch your skin on. The saddles have locking bolts, so intonation and action stay where you set them at. For 14 quid posted can't complain really.

Sorry for the late reply, forgot I'd posted on this thread!

Cheers

Edited by garry71

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1363296187' post='2011328']
[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1363273496' post='2010835']
I once put a Badass II on a Jazz but I wasn't chasing magic sustain or desiring adjustability or anything like that. The simple fact of the matter was that my E string saddle kept losing height while I played it, requiring constant adjustment
[/quote]

[/quote]

I had that same problem with a Precision. Swapped out the saddle and now it's fine.

I was thinking about getting a Badass II for that bass and wondering how much difference they made but, reading this, I don't think I'll bother.

[quote name='Olly230770' timestamp='1361543044' post='1987259']
What are your opinions on bridges? I am looking for opinions and reviews. I have a Squier P Bass (Mike Dirnt Signature) that is easily the best bass i have played in 25 years (alongside Fender, Peavey, BC Rich, Eiphone, Warwick and even, dare I say it Ricks etc) its is well made and sounds great, as well as being very light. I am looking at changing the bridge, just to give it a bit more sustain and power. Obviously BADASS 2 is the choice of champions (so I have been told) but there are others that are catching my eye such as Babicz, Hipshot, Schaeler to name a few. I play a variety of styles in a varioety of bands, however I like a deep low and dirty sound, which can also drop into a cleaner more picked out sond when needed. I use a Lnaey Rig (4x10" through a 150 head) which does the job nicely, although am toying with switching to HARTKE. Does anyone have a bridge that they recommend?
[/quote]

What i think is, the more contact a bridge has with the body, the better! And also, the more contact the saddles have with the bridge, the better! It increases tone and sustain. That is why something like a babicz bridge is good. Although i do like the long tele like bridge that you get on an Ibanez ATK, just a shame the saddles aren't full contact!

There seems to be a bit of negativity to anything other than stock bridges here, and the idea the the bridge makes no difference to the sound isn't entirely true. My mate upgraded his standard jazz bass bridge to a babicz FCH bridge. The difference was a massive increase in sustain right across the board (It evened out a couple of deadspots too) and a slightly clearer tone. This is because the saddles on the standard bridge have 2 very small areas of contact, and can move about a lot, so they absorb vibrations of the string, which is your sustain and a little tone. When you put something that absolutely anchors those saddles down in, the difference is noticeable. Lots of after market bridges are just variations on the same design.

Interesting stuff, i never really gave any thought on the affects a bridge would have on the sound. I can't add anything constructive to the debate, as I'm relatively new to the bass world, but are there any thoughts or advantages to the individual mono bridges as found on some of the Ibanez basses? I guess you can set the spacing to your preference.

C

[quote name='garry71' timestamp='1365102778' post='2035465']
Yes I've had it on for a couple of weeks now. It has 4 fixing holes, not 5 like on the original but managed to fit it ok with some new holes. It's very well built, chunky and fairly heavy. Can't really compare the sound differences at the moment as I've only just started playing bass again and hadn't played it much with the old bridge on. I'll swap them over again soon and then see how they compare for sound.

It does look loads better than the old bridge, and it doesn't have the allen screws sticking up, so no edges to catch your skin on. The saddles have locking bolts, so intonation and action stay where you set them at. For 14 quid posted can't complain really.

Sorry for the late reply, forgot I'd posted on this thread!

Cheers
[/quote]

Thanks for that. Interesting.