Why become a member? ×

Bass player who plays every song in same key?

lowlandtrees

To top it off you are going to tell us they have a keys player and all the songs are in C which is what he has the gadget set to anyway? :lol:

My dad had a mate at school whos mom hated making sandwiches so used to make them all at the start of the month then freeze them (fair enough not for me but ok) she used to label everyones sandwich and the date they were for with little labels which took hours, but they were all made on the same day so the date was pointless and even better they were all cheese and tomato! :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1361294807' post='1984098']
To top it off you are going to tell us they have a keys player and all the songs are in C which is what he has the gadget set to anyway? :lol:

My dad had a mate at school whos mom hated making sandwiches so used to make them all at the start of the month then freeze them (fair enough not for me but ok) she used to label everyones sandwich and the date they were for with little labels which took hours, but they were all made on the same day so the date was pointless and even better they were all cheese and tomato! :D
[/quote]
I guess that's the origin of best before dates and use by dates.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1361294807' post='1984098']

[/quote]

I was once in a band where the keyboard player played all the songs in C!! The keyboard could transpose keys so he moved them all to C whatever the key. Not sure why as he was quite capable of playing in any key.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1361295171' post='1984109']
I guess that's the origin of best before dates and use by dates.
[/quote]
That only works if you decide that the sandwich would last say 4 weeks in the freezer then put a date 4 weeks in advance, any you make after you know will last longer and can be dated as such, these were all made on the same day :lol:

[quote name='el borracho' timestamp='1361297751' post='1984156']
I was once in a band where the keyboard player played all the songs in C!! The keyboard could transpose keys so he moved them all to C whatever the key. Not sure why as he was quite capable of playing in any key.
[/quote]
I dont know why we dont just make all songs in C? :D

I know a couple of keyboard players that do that as well.

Nothing's new!

Irving Berlin could only play in F#. Didn't stop him becoming rich, famous and successful.

In 1910 he bought a "transposing piano" for $100. To one side of the keyboard was a small wheel, and turning the wheel shifted the keyboard right or left relative to the strings, positioning the hammers over higher or lower notes than they would ordinarily strike.

[quote name='lastnotleast' timestamp='1361300527' post='1984223']
Yes but how many of you know what the tertiary dominant chord is in the key of Bb?

I have been told that there is now a guitar which plays in tune no matter how badly it is out of tune.

These folks are not musicians but rather "guitar owners".
[/quote]
My mate does a gig with a loop pedal and a Variax guitar, makes some good noises! Has the lowest 3 strings as a sort of 51 P bass sound and the other 3 as steel strung acoustic mainly then swaps to a strat or a Les Paul for the solos, crazy eh? :o

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1361303226' post='1984298']
I'd bet there are plenty of "guitar owners" who have written and performed world famous songs that are far more popular than many 'musicians' ever manage.
[/quote]

Yes, but then I suppose there are also plenty of "singers" who can't utter a word without feeding it through an auto-tune. Does popularity count more tham professionalism? If one's job is being a musician/singer/whatever, wouldn't you expect that person to be at least reasonably competent? This is not meant as a luddite comment - machines are useful and can help, but they shouldn't be substitutes for a modicum of skill.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1361303226' post='1984298']
I'd bet there are plenty of "guitar owners" who have written and performed world famous songs that are far more popular than many 'musicians' ever manage.
[/quote]
I think I know where you're coming from on this one, proficient musicians are sometimes hamstrung by thinking "that's too simple" or "that sounds like something else" and then ruin it by overcomplicating it, Gary Moore once said a great riff is something so simple everybody thinks "why didn't I think of that?"

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1361291730' post='1984045']
A friend of mine plays in this band. Won't name them. The bass player plays everything in the same key through a modulator(or whatever its called) which changes the key as needed, Wit aboot that. Is this common?
[/quote]
He's just being economical with his playing. No problem with that. just get him to sequence all his bass parts or pre record them. he can do even less then! :D