Why become a member? ×

BassChat App??

AKAK

I was just wondering why is there no app for basschat? Either/or for iOS, toffee popcorn(or whatever the knew android OS is) etc.

I have a feeling that this topic may have been raised before. If financing it maybe expensive I am sure us members could donate even a paltry sum each to get it up and running.

Any ideas?

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1361091946' post='1980779']
There may be a way to enable Tapatalk to work with this site, an app that lets you browse multiple forums...
[/quote]

But it's going to take time and resources away from fixing things that still don't work on the real site. These should be all sorted first IMO before messing about with extras like Tapatalk.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1361094857' post='1980833']
But it's going to take time and resources away from fixing things that still don't work on the real site. These should be all sorted first IMO before messing about with extras like Tapatalk.
[/quote]
I think this was the very reason given when Tapatalk was suggested in the Site Issues forum.

Apparently there is some kind of bolt on that's available for the forum software that will enable it's use, and it's not too expensive as I understand it. I've never used Tapatalk and the mobile site works fine for the most part, but if Tapatalk adds a bit more functionality it would be welcomed by me. Particularly if it allows you to jump to a particular page rather than clicking through a whole thread to see a particular post.

But yeah, let's get some of the other issues out of the way first.

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1361093769' post='1980801']
I think the mobile set works brilliantly and particularly like how it remembers what you have read and takes you back to it when you click on the thread again.
[/quote]

Ditto. Concentrate on the web/mobile development, funds permitting of course.

• 8 months later...

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1361088050' post='1980734']
No point really. Mobile site is fit for purpose.
[/quote]

I beg to differ. I personally find the little blue circle for 'go to first unread post in thread' VERY hard to hit at times. Sometimes I go through 4 or 5 cycles of:[list]
[*]carefully try and and hit the circle
[*]oops I'm at the first page of the thread, must have missed.
[*]scroll down to find the previous page button in safari, hit the button
[*]see the original page but with the loading overlay covering the blue dot
[*]refresh the page to get rid of the overlay
[*]carefully try and hit the circle ....
[/list]
This gets a bit wearing. Using Talkbass via it's own app (which is essentially Tapatalk) is a joy by comparison.

Could we please have Tapatalk enabled for basschat ?

OR ... you could enlarge the target area for the 'first unread post' so it's easier to hit. But using an app like Tapatalk is actually much easier for me.

(Apologies for cross-post)

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1383002465' post='2259115'] I beg to differ. I personally find the little blue circle for 'go to first unread post in thread' VERY hard to hit at times. Sometimes I go through 4 or 5 cycles of:[list] [*]carefully try and and hit the circle [*]oops I'm at the first page of the thread, must have missed. [*]scroll down to find the previous page button in safari, hit the button [*]see the original page but with the loading overlay covering the blue dot [*]refresh the page to get rid of the overlay [*]carefully try and hit the circle .... [/list] This gets a bit wearing. Using Talkbass via it's own app (which is essentially Tapatalk) is a joy by comparison. Could we please have Tapatalk enabled for basschat ? OR ... you could enlarge the target area for the 'first unread post' so it's easier to hit. But using an app like Tapatalk is actually much easier for me. (Apologies for cross-post) [/quote]

Sounds to me that you're are using the full site on your phone instead of the mobile site. I don't have this problem on the mobile site. The small black dot next to the left of a thread takes me straight to the first unread post.

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1383002465' post='2259115']

I beg to differ. I personally find the little blue circle for 'go to first unread post in thread' VERY hard to hit at times. Sometimes I go through 4 or 5 cycles of:[list]
[*]carefully try and and hit the circle
[*]oops I'm at the first page of the thread, must have missed.
[*]scroll down to find the previous page button in safari, hit the button
[*]see the original page but with the loading overlay covering the blue dot
[*]refresh the page to get rid of the overlay
[*]carefully try and hit the circle ....
[/list]
This gets a bit wearing. Using Talkbass via it's own app (which is essentially Tapatalk) is a joy by comparison.

OR ... you could enlarge the target area for the 'first unread post' so it's easier to hit. But using an app like Tapatalk is actually much easier for me.

(Apologies for cross-post)
[/quote]

I know what you mean.

There's a lot of work going on over the next couple of months. An enhanced app is on out wish list but we'll be talking about that after we've sorted and upgraded some other areas.

Cheers

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1383002465' post='2259115']
[/quote]

It's perhaps something we'll take a look at if there's enough benefit in it for more than a couple of people.

It'd have to take it's place on the list of priorities though.

^ Like what Ped said ^ :D

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1383003084' post='2259125']
Sounds to me that you're are using the full site on your phone instead of the mobile site. I don't have this problem on the mobile site. The small black dot next to the left of a thread takes me straight to the first unread post.
[/quote]

No, I'm talking about the mobile site. There's a massive difference between them (I occasionally swap to 'full' to do something I can't on 'mobile') so I know the difference. The small black dot to the left does take me to the right place when I eventually hit it accurately.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1383003385' post='2259131']
It'd have to take it's place on the list of priorities though.
[/quote]

If it's hard, maybe you could do the simpler thing, enlarge the target area for the 'first unread post' dot so it's easier to hit. That wouldn't be hard surely ?

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1383003726' post='2259137']
No, I'm talking about the mobile site. There's a massive difference between them (I occasionally swap to 'full' to do something I can't on 'mobile') so I know the difference. The small black dot to the left does take me to the right place when I eventually hit it accurately.
[/quote]

Ok, my bad. I get what you're saying now.

I don't like reading the For Sale section on mobile as I can't see where the seller is based. The mobile site had some limitations but I can live with it.

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1383003726' post='2259137']

[/quote]
Have you got really fat fingers?

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1383037475' post='2259263']
Have you got really fat fingers?
[/quote]

I wouldn't have said so. I mean, I'm just over 6 foot, so I'm big I suppose, but I don't think my hands are that out of the ordinary.

I've seen the target area go black when I hit it, and it's barely larger than the dot itself, it's tiny. I see no reason why the target area shouldn't be expanded to occupy a square at the left end of the listing. It's probably as easy as adding borders round the gif/png to expand it (though I expect some HTML/CSS adjustments might follow).

I'd settle for the links on the mobile site acting correctly. When I tap the dot it does indeed take me to the first unread post. Trouble is, so does tapping on the thread title - which should take me to the start of the thread.

I wouldn't use an app, just a tidy up of the mobile site would be fine for me.

I'd also settle for fixing the mobile and full site first before messing about with apps or Tapatalk.

There's still plenty to fix on the full site:

Tags don't actually do anything. If you try searching on them it just throws up a "No results found" message.

Since the two hacks a lot of the navigational graphics have been missing from the site. Most of these are cosmetic, but they do make the site easier to use. For example all the status icons from read posts are missing (as well as some from unread posts). More importantly the graphic that acts as a link in a quote allowing you to jump back to the actual post being quoted is missing which means that the link has become an invisible 1 pixel area. If you think that a small visible link is too hard to hit try finding one that is only a pixel big and is invisible except when the mouse pointer is actually touching it!

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1383041830' post='2259327']
I'd settle for the links on the mobile site acting correctly. When I tap the dot it does indeed take me to the first unread post. Trouble is, so does tapping on the thread title - which should take me to the start of the thread.

I wouldn't use an app, just a tidy up of the mobile site would be fine for me.
[/quote]

Hmm, I just tried clicking on the title in the mobile site, and it took me to the first post, NOT the first unread post as it does for you. (iPhone 4s, IOS 7.0.3, Safari) . If the tltle linked to the first unread post that would solve my biggest problem with the mobile site.