Why become a member? ×

Borrowing The Back Line

baseline9

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1361350157' post='1984798']
And another thing. All those who think that other bassists are not to be trusted with a rig presumably think that all the amps and cabs for sale here have been abused to within an inch of their lives and are therefore not worth buying?
[/quote]

Basschat users are special ;)

And another thing. All those who think that other bassists are not to be trusted with a rig presumably think that all the amps and cabs for sale here have been abused to within an inch of their lives and are therefore not worth buying?
[/quote]

Some may well have been... and you have to be just as careful when buying second hand.

[/quote]

You buy from ebay a lot then?

Cabs especially?

More fool you...

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1361351737' post='1984811']
Ah but what if your stack can't talk EVERYTHING your amp can throw at it?

Or what if they want to use your cab with their amp? Their amp could throw out 2000w and completely blow your cab?

What if you play gently and they play hard? With an octaver and a distortion?

IMHO it's not worth the hassle or the risk :)
[/quote]

Fair points, though I've never encountered a 'mix-and-match' situation and I'm confident my cab ratings comfortably exceed my amp ratings.

As for hassle, in my experience it's more hassle to change out a backline during the gig. Faster changeovers keep things moving.

But I'm not arguing that people SHOULD lend their rigs - it's clearly a personal decision and I'd respect anyone who wouldn't want to let me use their gear. I'm just a little surprised at how precious most people here seem to be about what are supposed to be rugged, well-built, hard-gigging pieces of equipment.

Fortunately, I've never had the bad experiences that many here have recounted and, frankly, if I had then I'd be questioning myself for putting up with gigging in such circumstances at all. After all, where's the pleasure in playing a heaving, cramped pub full of pissed-up punters falling over your gear, spilling drinks everywhere and not really interested in listening to the music in the first place?

If I knew the guy or we struck up some instant rapport...and I was going to be in very close attendance, then I might be quite keen to lend someone a rig if I thought they would really appreciate it.
And if I do say so myself, my rigs are a more than decent spec.

I have even offered to lend my A rig to a BC-er's mate when he tours round here...but then I know he is endorsed and REALLY understands EQ totally...and he knows the amp very well.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1361316459' post='1984640']
Yes, that's more like it - in my experience anyway.

Funny how everyone here is always banging on about how great the BC community is, but then slags off our fellow bass players as a bunch of gear-destroying morons who can't be trusted with so much as a spare cable. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I'm pretty swure all the 'destroyers of gear' out there, don't use Basschat!! ;) Can you imagine, if some oik turns up at a gig and you started banging on about impedance? 'So mate, I've got 8 ohms here.... 'Bloody hell, you must be rich to afford 8 houses!' 'Anyway, can I use your amp?'

I'm also a bit uncomfortable with lending gear, because I get a bit attached to stuff. Like when I got rid of my Ashdown Combo, I hated the damn thing, but I had to say my goodbyes before it went.....

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1361351896' post='1984815']
I myself, have not had the misfortune to come across many of these types, but have had more than my fair share of drunken louts who spill drinks liberally and feel that they have a right to manhandle my gear. many times we have returned from the toilet and found drunks posing with our guitars holding them by the head stock etc. if we are playing in tight pubs, Ive seen drinks being put on my amp as we were playing. Its not very nice and sometimes you have to bite your lip to avoid the situation developing. I dont mind facing off these morons, but when my gear is at risk, its a no win situation :(
[/quote]

I've had this happened to me, until I nearly went all 'Keith Richards' on them! From then on, my bass stays firmly in the case.....

Years ago, when I was still playing guitar, we rolled up to a multi band gig, and the headliners had agreed to share all their gear. I plugged into the guitar players marshall 8080 valvestate (the amp of choice for all tossers in the early 90s, hateful things) and as usual cranked the gain and dropped the master so I could get my happy squealy feedbacky noises out of it. Perfectly safe, pretty normal and standard for the time.
He apparently moaned about me for months afterwards, and always looked at me like I had had a go on his girlfriend after that when I showed up to a gig (later on I did, but that's not important) :)
He was a super clean sound funk player, and had no understanding of the workings of his own amp. He was also a tosser for never actually bringing it up with me, as I would have explained to him that that is why you have a dirty channel on your amp.
So it's sometimes the lendees that are dicks.
:)

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1361377588' post='1985004']
I would love to be able to pick and choose gigs mate, but unfortunately in this town, you have to take the gigs you get. Some places are known as dives and you hate playing them, but if they ask for you and pay you, sometimes you gotta bite the preverbial.
[/quote]

Fair point, if you're in it for the money.

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1361379472' post='1985054']

Money? You can earn money from music?!?!?
[/quote]

What? Nobody told me this! ;) seriously though, I don't even think in my 15 year gigging career, I'm even, nor will I ever be close to even breaking even..... But the buzz you get from playing a good gig, to a load if punters that are digging it is priceless. So I've been told.

[quote name='AnalogBomb' timestamp='1361276461' post='1983672']
This scenario is all too common to me.... I've lost count of the times that I have brought all of my gear to gigs (even when we're not headlining) to be asked 'ere mate, can I use your amp?' - this is when my face turns an ashen grey looking colour. My main reason's being, I like to think of myself as an easy going, nice guy, who doesn't like to upset people and so I have in the past pretty much said, 'err Ok'. This was until recently. We had a gig at a local club in Bradford and I took my then combo, (Ashdown ABM EVO ii 500) and set it up and for once in it's life, got a decent sound! Then ther other band turns up and all I can describe it as is.... 'Do you want to start a band?' 'OK, I've got some rad tunes and a zany haircut, do you know anyone who plays bass?' 'My mate plays bass, but she's only been playing for 3 months' 'no worries, how hard can it be?!' I think you get where this is going.

So she turns up, doesn't even ask to use the amp, but just plugs in (which annoyed me no end), then has the cheek to say, 'I don't like it, it's not my tone'. I know that, because it's my tone. So she fiddles around with the EQ and then I come to plug in - nothing. Nada. Zilch. Turns out, she'd turned the input level up to max and completely blown the speaker, which cost me £100 to replace. Not good.

I've also literally walked on stage during a guys gig in Leeds once and turned my amp down as it was in the red constantly. I also can't understand how people don't know how to use gear and I know this is a massive bugbear of people on BC! For example, when I had the Ashdown, folks would just plug in and turn the output dial...... and look perplexed when nothing happens! I mean, for me, if I was using another amp, the first thing I'd do is look for a mute button!

I agree that gear share is sometimes necessary, just for ease of transition, but for gods sake, please just ask and I'll talk you through it! I also get that some folks maybe just can't afford to buy a decent rig for whatever reason, but I don't know if anybody else thinks this, but I tend to find that there are people around who if asked, will refer to themself as a 'Bass Player' and people who just play bass cos it's the only way they could get in a band. I class myself as the latter..... ;)
[/quote]

This is quite enough justification for never sharing. If it's inconvenient - too bad. And no, I don't play at the bottom end of the originals circuit, nor, I hope will I ever do so if this is what it means. bad enough that there's little pay in that circuit, but getting gear trashed is, in so many ways, a show-stopper.

I have no problem sharing amp or cab but I would draw the line at the bass itself. My rig seems pretty bullet proof and I would be amazed if it failed in normal use. As someone said earlie, when you play in an original band on multi band bills there's not much choice. We always make sure it's agreed in advance so there's no confusion on the night. The headliner usually provides most of the gear.

Edited by Rubbersoul

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread here because of last night's gig!

It was a multi band night, and all the bands and promoter had discussed equipment share beforehand. My band headlined, so would be sharing drum shells and cabinets. I made it very clear that I am happy to share my cabinet but nothing else. Night was going well to begin with and while the second band were setting up I went up to go to the bar. I come back down and see that the bass player is using my amp, after being told not to! Then as the courteous dick heads that they are they scarpered off home as soon as they finished, not supporting the remaining 3 bands. Then it was brought my my attention that the reason he had no power out of my 400w valve head was because he'd spent the entire half hour set playing into it with the speaker cable disconnected!! So, for all the guys who wonder just how you can damage an amp there is your answer!

By some miracle when I tested the head nothing appeared to be broken... A testament to old Peavey gear... But I'll be crossing my fingers in the hope that everything stays ok..

Still! It angered me so much that this band had disrespect us so much, and my gear had been abused and potentially destroyed, in my slightly tipsy state I did send the band page a lengthy message containing a few F words :lol:

Anyway, this is why I never ever let anybody use my amp head, and neither should you!!

Standard fare for us is to share backline and drum shells between the bands. Change over between bands are usually 15 mins! I usually bring my bass cabs but am shocked by how many bass players don't seem to own a rig. If your a gigging band you should at least own a head.

I have no problem people using my cabs but amp is an issue! As for people using my bass I use a left handed 7 string so no issues there :)

I run a Mesa Boogie Carbine M6 with two 600Watt cabs, a 1X15 and a 2X12. Fine for our larger gigs and the clarity is fantastic. For the smaller gigs however, I’m lucky to get the main gain to 1. The only time I tried to run it with the preamp and power amp at 12 o’clock, the sound pressure removed the rest of the band from the stage.

If any young pup thinks he can break that, he’s welcome to try.

[quote name='seymourfluid' timestamp='1430138359' post='2758261']
I run a Mesa Boogie Carbine M6 with two 600Watt cabs, a 1X15 and a 2X12. Fine for our larger gigs and the clarity is fantastic. For the smaller gigs however, I’m lucky to get the main gain to 1. The only time I tried to run it with the preamp and power amp at 12 o’clock, the sound pressure removed the rest of the band from the stage.

If any young pup thinks he can break that, he’s welcome to try.
[/quote]

If the bloke from Chris's support band ran it full blast without any speakers connected you might have an issue....

I'm sure I must have posted my opinions on kit sharing elsewhere on BC in the past.

My philosophy in simple terms for a bass player in a band:

YOU ARE A BASS PLAYER so:

1) Buy your own bass, strings, leads, pick (if used), strap, amplifier (head /cab or combo), pedals to suit with enough spares.
2) Arrive at gig with above kit.
3) Use above kit and nothing else.
4) Do NOT let anyone else near it or lend it out.
5) Do NOT ask to borrow anyone elses kit.

15 minutes change over time is plenty to get a bass rig off stage and assemble your own. I can get mine set up and running faster than our drummer can set up his brass bits, snare drum and seat.

Someone once gave me the best answer to anyone who asks to borrow my gear:

"Would you let me shag your partner?"

The only exception to this rule is if you play a big festival and you are offered back line as part of the deal and it is contracted, but even then I have used my own - more than once.

Buy your own gear before you spend your money on booze, fags, dope and what other luxuries you desperately need.

Rant over, sorry peeps.

Edited by Jazzneck

Isn't this topic [i]thoroughly[/i] done to death now ?

If you want to share gear, then do...if you don't, don't, but how about refraining from slagging off people with the opposing view ?

It's childish and nobody's mind get changed.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1430152271' post='2758434']
I'm sure I must have posted my opinions on kit sharing elsewhere on BC in the past.

My philosophy in simple terms for a bass player in a band:

YOU ARE A BASS PLAYER so:

1) Buy your own bass, strings, leads, pick (if used), strap, amplifier (head /cab or combo), pedals to suit with enough spares.
2) Arrive at gig with above kit.
3) Use above kit and nothing else.
4) Do NOT let anyone else near it or lend it out.
5) Do NOT ask to borrow anyone elses kit.

15 minutes change over time is plenty to get a bass rig off stage and assemble your own. I can get mine set up and running faster than our drummer can set up his brass bits, snare drum and seat.

Someone once gave me the best answer to anyone who asks to borrow my gear:

"Would you let me shag your partner?"

The only exception to this rule is if you play a big festival and you are offered back line as part of the deal and it is contracted, but even then I have used my own - more than once.

Buy your own gear before you spend your money on booze, fags, dope and what other luxuries you desperately need.

Rant over, sorry peeps.
[/quote]100% this