Why become a member? ×

Borrowing The Back Line

baseline9

Often when one shares a gig with other bands its also a good idea to share some equipment, makes allot of sense to me as it saves on space, quicker change overs etc..

The first thing is always drums and you get something like this "The drum shells will be provided just bring your own breakables"

The next is always the bass amp, now this is a mixed bag, bring your own, one will be provided or can we all use yours (say if your headlining).

I have always tried to be relaxed in this area and make life as easy as possible, I'm happy to use other bass amps or happy to let people use mine, however a couple of recent experiences is making me re-think this approach - one kid recently used my amp and decided to crank the input gain right up which in turn killed everything PA, amps, electricity, everything, it all shut down. I was mortified thinking he had broke my amp but it turned out to be a safeguard and the generator cut out (Thankfully!) .

This and a couple of other experiences where people are just not looking after other peoples stuff is making me change my mind and say "no you use your own gear.", I dont want to do this and come across like a grump tho!

Thought it would be good to hear other peoples thoughts and experiences in this area :)

PS one thing I dont like is when bands turn up expecting to use your backline, that annoys me, contact and ask - manners cost nothing! :)

PPS I also have recently insured my gear!

Cheers!

Edited by baseline9

I`d prefer to do 10mins less, so that not only do I use my own amp, but so that only I use my amp, for the exact reasons as per the OP. Luckily the other bassist in my band has a very old knackered Trace combo, so if anyone asks to use a bass-amp, his gets it, rather than my shiny (well yellow) new Markbass combo.

our policy is nobody borrows anything and we dont lend anything either.
weve turned down countless gigs that go
" do you fancy a double bill with ???, oh but theve no Pa so can we use yours?"
If you want Pa hire ring a company that does it.
we fell for it on a private party where the result was £150 to get my Mesa fixed , and £200 to get the crossovers fixed due to the dj frying the speakers coz he was in the Pa also.
Lesson learned..

I always used to let other people use my rig at gigs, until at one gig I happened to walk onto the stage as one bassist had decided that every dial on my amp should be at full cos 'that is what [he] always does'. I was really close to removing my gear right then and there, but decided to give him a firm but polite explanation of the controls and EQ, with strict instructions not to touch them again.

Since then I make a point of having a bit of a chat with anyone who asks, in advance, to borrow my rig, and if they seem reasonable and have an understanding of their instrument and EQing then they can use it. I no longer loan out use of my rig without being asked in advance.

Some people call me grumpy and a spoil-sport :P haha.

I've never understood the idea that you share cabs, but use your own amp. I would never want to plug my amp into some unknown cab. And doubly so if I was using a valve head. At a recent gig we had arranged to share one of the other bands guitar cabs, but when we actually came to plug in he didn't even know what impedance it was...

I have no problem with other bands using my rig. It means that I'm guaranteed to have a good bass sound, and most of the other bassists who use it are so intimidated by the vast array of controls and displays that they don't actually touch any of them!

Edited by BigRedX

Nope.

I either use my gear or I won't play.
I know my equipment and I'm not interested in battling with something unfamiliar all the way through a set, it's not what I'm there for. :)

The same goes for letting other people use my equipment - I've got it set up to suit me and my style of playing.
It probably won't match another players requirements which means they'll be having the exact same battle that I avoided earlier by saying 'no'.

Bugbears.... support (and headline!) bands turning up with no back-line, expecting that someone else will supply theirs... not contacting anyone before-hand to try and arrange something... not being told thank-you when they've snookered you into using your gear..... not helping to shift gear in out of the venue when using someone else's gear... not muting the volume when plugging in and out (when there's a perfectly reasonable switch that does the job)...

but the worst.... being shown the active and passive inputs, sound-checking with the passive inputs and then deliberately swapping inputs (for more volume) when the lead had been left in the right input for an active bass....

Bring the tools you need to do your job or agree something before hand.

I insist upon using my own amp wherever I'm playing. Time is always cited as some sort of reason against doing that, but I can set my amp up and have it ready to go before my drummer is ready, even if he's just doing his snare/breakables. Equally, if somebody wants to use my amp it'll be a straight up no unless I know them and they've asked before-hand. At times we'll provide backline for a gig, when that happens I'll lug my old beat up Laney 150 head and nameless 15" PA bass bin for the other bands to use who haven't brought their own amps as well as my current set-up for myself.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1360941610' post='1978760']
If you're a musician you should own the right equipment - bring it and use it - don't expect to use somebody else's unless you've agreed it in advance.
[/quote]

+1

You never hear a doctor ask 'do you have a stethoscope I could borrow'...

True, but I've never encountered a sharing situation where the people concerned didn't have their own gear - it's usually advocated to minimise changeover times

I've lent and borrowed a few times and have never had any problems . . . although I've just bought some rather nice TC gear so I may be changing my views on this . . .

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1360943060' post='1978787']
+1

You never hear a doctor ask 'do you have a stethoscope I could borrow'...
[/quote]

Not a great analogy. OK, if someone just turns up without the right gear because they can't be arsed they're going to have to ask [i]very[/i] nicely. But where there's four bands on a tiny stage with 3 minutes changeover surely a bit of sharing is sensible?

But no, never if they just assume.

Happened only twice in my bass playing career that I [i]had[/i] to let another bass player use my rig. First time was because we turned up at the venue and I was told the other band would be using our stuff (without being informed beforehand). Last time we gigged there.

Second time was because I knew the support band's bass player and he knew how to use gear correctly... until the venue told us a band was going on before them who we were not told about anyway. Can't remember what micro head I had at the time but the bass player for this unannounced band rested his bass on top of my little head and went off for a fag!! Had some very prompt words with him straight away. Never heard/saw that band again. Venue shut down 18 months later.

I'm okay with other bassists using my rig if I know them and know they take care of stuff. I hate other bands/venues just coming over to you before the gig and going "Ahhh my amp is broken and it's in the shop getting fixed so I can I borrow your amp?". 1. Why are you playing the gig if you have no amp. 2. Why didn't you hire an amp out? 3. Why wasn't anyone else informed about you needing my amp for this gig?

I've had to be a bastard quite recently for a few of these things... the main problem is I don't think they realise that this gear is expensive. That's why nowadays I have my trusty DI box has a backup and say, get the sound guy to turn the bass up in the monitors. ;)

Question: Would you, as a bass player, turn up at a gig and expect not only to use someone else's rig, but also someone else's bass - and this without asking beforehand? No, I wouldn't either, which is why when it actually happened to me, it was easy to tell aforementioned bass player to do one sharpish.

I don't like using other people's gear either - the reason I've got my gear is because (like a lot of people on BC) I've spent time and money on getting the sound I want - not some random, flabby inaudible tone. Moan over! :)

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1360943568' post='1978796']
Not a great analogy.
[/quote]

It was the best I could do with what I'd got in my pocket. :D

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1360943568' post='1978796']
OK, if someone just turns up without the right gear because they can't be arsed they're going to have to ask [i]very[/i] nicely. But where there's four bands on a tiny stage with 3 minutes changeover surely a bit of sharing is sensible?
[/quote]

Yes that'd make sense from a stage\time management point of view, but I never play gigs that work like that. :)

The gigs i've done where it's gear share, i've always cleared it with the other bands first, and if they say no (Which i've never actually encountered) i'm more than happy to go DI as it's always at somewhere like Academy with a monster PA. I don't have my own cab (Due to cash/storage/transport arrangements) so whenever anyone's willing to lend one is always helpful. I intend to get my pedalboard set up so that i can go DI without any issues whatsoever as soon as i can afford everything i need.

Liam

One of the reasons I use a teeny tiny rig is to make sure that its as easy as possible to take my own rig to a gig.

If a band has a technical fault on the night or asks ahead of time I've no problem lending my amp and cab as long as they follow my "I'll set it up, you don't change the dials" rule. Never had a problem, helped out people who've since become friends. Lend a bass? No, sorry.