Why become a member? ×

Playing at my own wedding

Gazm

So you have this party, and invite all your friends.... and spend more time than anyone else in the room being unable to talk to them???? balls to that - if it were me, book a band you would want to hear and dance to - and then enjoy the day with your wife!

[quote name='Gazm' timestamp='1360538350' post='1972139']
So, the future Mrs. G has suggested that both bands I play in do an hour each at our wedding in September with yours truly on bass,

Has anyone else played at their own wedding? I can't decide if its good idea or not.
[/quote]

I've played at both of my weddings.

I'll not do it if I get married again...

Yea, I did!

However I only played two 15 minute sets with two bands I had been in and we had three other bands playing (one playing a longer set) and a bit of a jam session to finish off. I would think that playing for two hours would be a bit tricky to pull off and might make the event seem more like a gig than your wedding!

After all, you don't get married every day and it will probably be several years before your next one...!!

I played at my wedding 13 years ago, it was fun and its only as stressful as you make it. We played for about an hour at the beginning of the evening reception and then a disco took over so I could 'enjoy' the rest of the evening. It went down well and I have fond memories of that day. Also, because it was my 'big day' the rest of the band set up my gear and took it down at the end, so I just turned up and played B) I wouldn't want to do a full on 2 or 3 sets.

Jas

Personally speaking I'd only do a few numbers---get the bands to get a dep in, and you play on a few of your wife's favourite numbers.

On your wedding day you should be spending time with your new wife/husband, not two hours playing bass with your mates. Between posing for photos, the speeches, catching up with your guests, and all the other demands that will be made of you you get precious little time with your other half as it is.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1360540592' post='1972187']
Ha ha - I found a crappy video of it...

[url="http://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=501373121321"]http://www.facebook....id=501373121321[/url]
[/quote] the guy on the video... walks towards the camera and covers his face.... Dave Grohl?

I played at my own 50th b'day party, I did a few numbers at the beginning of the set, and the last couple, but got two different people to stand in for the rest of the time, including a young relative who had never played with a rock band before.

If it's your wedding, people will want to talk to you and you new Mrs ( preferably at the same time ), so I would recommend doing something similar.

My band played for an hour at my wedding last year. It went down very well as quite a few of the guests had never seen us play before, and they were thrilled. Well, I hope view were lol.
As long as your wife to be is ok with it, and it doesn't detract from your special day then I'd say go for it....

Good man, and congrats!!!

I played at my own wedding just last September and put up a few vids here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/187266-played-my-first-wedding-gig-oh-and-got-married-too/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/187266-played-my-first-wedding-gig-oh-and-got-married-too/[/url]

I'd say go for it! It certainly helped to make the day more memorable for us (and I hope) our guests.

However, don't lose site of the fact that tying the knot with your missus to be should be the absolute focus of the day, so I'd advise that you don't play for more than 40-50 minutes yourself and get someone to dep the 2nd set.

Also you are gonna be the main event for the whole day and should be spending your time with your guests, so it really ought to be set up so that you just jump straight in to the gig, do your bit and then get back to being with your guests - so let your band take care of all of the setting up and sound checking etc. you don't want to be having to get involved with that on the day and you probably won't have the time.

Guest bassman7755

I used to play in a function band so I booked them to my step daughters wedding even though I had left the band by that time. They tried to persuade me to get up and play for a couple of numbers but since I have been playing 5 string exclusive I had to decline because I just cant play a 4 string anymore :huh:

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1360603071' post='1973168']
They tried to persuade me to get up and play for a couple of numbers but since I have been playing 5 string exclusive I had to decline because I just cant play a 4 string anymore :huh:
[/quote]

Was it for mathematical reasons? 2 in to 5 just doesn't go, right?