Why become a member? ×

Expression.

steve-soar

[quote name='Antiloco' timestamp='1360248854' post='1967362']
Seldom. And if I do I wouldn't expect to be taken seriously. I know nothing about politics so I know my place...I'm not arrogant.
[/quote]

Thank you.

Do you vote in your elections though?

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='Antiloco' timestamp='1360247162' post='1967310']
a) It works. It works perfectly. It may not work for you but that's another story.

b ) Actually no. I don't need to tell where my ideas come from. Because I don't care in the same way an amateur bass player doesn't get better than he needs to get.
The main difference here is that it's not me demanding to be respected in a philosophical forum... but here all amateurs and inmstrument collectors demand their views to be respected as if they were the ultimate truth. I'm very sorry but that's not going to happen. Not until you know more than me in my field. My apologies but that's the way it is and it has nothing to do with peoples value as human beings. It's all about knowing your place....You get that point don't you?

It's your urge to know were my thinking comes from so its your job. You have the tools, not me.

People use math all the time without knowing the theoretical part. Does it mean they can't use math?... Please.
[/quote]
So if it is all about knowing your place. I'm quite happy to listen to you play, if you stop pontificating half-thought-out weak ideas about what constitutes music and avant garde and kitsch that you have no inclination to understand what you yourself think?

Except life doesn't work like that, the beauty of this forum is that I can talk to folk who like jazz and folk who like punk, folk who regularly play to thousands and folk who play in front of a webcam, old folk and teenagers. What brings us together, regardless of our skill or knowledge is a love of music and our ability to talk about it from whatever level we are at.
I've never played jazz - but boy do I love hearing Bilbo get excited about what gets him going. I don't really like Big red x's music, but I love his views on making music and playing even when I don't agree with them all.
Bilbo could communicate why jazz is important, or explain why the coltraine piece in the OP is expressive worth listening too to a bunch of 5 year olds. Making music accessible to other people, explaining why stuff is worth listening too, making it worth listening too (entertaining even) - that's amazing, that's what basschat is all about.
that's what music is all about.

Not until you know more than me in my field.
[/quote]

Really? There are so many variables in 'your field', you can't possibly claim to excel above everyone else here in all areas of it. I happen to highly respect your technical abilities and your understanding of theory and to apply it to your playing. However I feel that my feel, phrasing and expression have much more authenticity than yours. This doesn't mean I would refuse to listen to your opinion on those subject and nor should it.

Seriously man everyone is entitled to an opinion, and every now and then you might learn from someone elses. Amateur or not!

a) It works. It works perfectly. It may not work for you but that's another story.

b ) Actually no. I don't need to tell where my ideas come from. Because I don't care in the same way an amateur bass player doesn't get better than he needs to get.
The main difference here is that it's not me demanding to be respected in a philosophical forum... but here all amateurs and inmstrument collectors demand their views to be respected as if they were the ultimate truth. I'm very sorry but that's not going to happen. Not until you know more than me in my field. My apologies but that's the way it is and it has nothing to do with peoples value as human beings. It's all about knowing your place....You get that point don't you?

It's your urge to know were my thinking comes from so its your job. You have the tools, not me.

People use math all the time without knowing the theoretical part. Does it mean they can't use math?... Please.
[/quote]

It beggars belief that you assume everbody on here is not up to your standard. How on earth do you come to your conclusions?
Some of our members WILL be more accomplished musicians than your good self. My assumption.
Your assumptions are getting to the laughable stage now.

Edited by karlfer

Out of nosiness I had to go to the youtube page of one of the more high profile 'contributors' to this particular thread.

Judging by the comments they've made over the last couple of days, I have to say I was really surprised to find that the person wasn't about 15 years old.

IMO this particular person is also unlikely to make the 10 best youtube players thread.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1360248384' post='1967348']
Lucky devil, I own a car that sometimes doesn't move me at all...it doesn't move.
[/quote]

I now have 2 that while moveable, are incapable of washing their own windscreens.
Though i am not a mechanic i feel qualified to make the judgement that both my cars are a bit sh&t.
:)

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1360249275' post='1967371']

It beggars belief that you assume everbody on here is not up to your standard. How on earth do you come to your conclusions?
Some of our members WILL be more accomplished musicians than your good self. My assumption.
Your assumptions are getting to the laughable stage now.
[/quote]

That's a lie to state that I've said or implied something like that. Im not the best. Music is not a competition. Laughable is the inability to accept different points of view.

You folks have a hard time accepting we are different and get desperate when someone doesn't share your goals and dreams. You get insecure and fear people being different.

I'm ok with different people. As long as they can back up their bragging. I guess there's a general lack of cojones hindering people coming out of their safe anonymity on the Internet.

Live and let live but be consequent.

[quote name='Antiloco' timestamp='1360248854' post='1967362']
Seldom. And if I do I wouldn't expect to be taken seriously. I know nothing about politics so I know my place...I'm not arrogant.
[/quote]

I am starting think you may lack confidence as a musician. Don't take this the wrong way and get upset now! But how do you communicate with and feed off other musicians if you don't feel you are able to because you think you know enough about what they do?

[quote name='Antiloco' timestamp='1360250731' post='1967398']
You folks have a hard time accepting we are different and get desperate when someone doesn't share your goals and dreams.
[/quote]

To be honest mate, that's the impression that I get of you.You're very reasonable as long as somebody agrees with you.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1360250821' post='1967399']

I am starting think you may lack confidence as a musician. Don't take this the wrong way and get upset now! But how do you communicate with and feed off other musicians if you don't feel you are able to because you think you know enough about what they do?
[/quote]

I do it probably the same way as others do but knowing my limitations. I may suggest something to the drummer but ultimately I'll have to trust his expertise on his craft. So I normally speak general musical terms.

And of course I am insecure as a musician. There's so much left to learn I sometimes don't even know where to begin!

Edited by Antiloco

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1360249296' post='1967372']
Out of nosiness I had to go to the youtube page of one of the more high profile 'contributors' to this particular thread.

Judging by the comments they've made over the last couple of days, I have to say I was really surprised to find that the person wasn't about 15 years old.

IMO this particular person is also unlikely to make the 10 best youtube players thread.
[/quote]

Another proof of the Basschat politeness?