Why become a member? ×

Tech 21 VT Bass DI

Musicman20

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1362526616' post='2000983']
Not if you order from the right shop! Many places mark down the value of the sale so that it sails through customs. ;)
[/quote]

A practice which, if UK customs catch wind of it, will render the recipient liable to prosecution of course...

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1362576031' post='2001512']
yes, of about $36.

edit: well whatever 20% of the value is in sterling
[/quote]
A bit more than that I'm afraid. VAT applies to the shipping charges as well, so at the current discounted price of $209 that works out at £213 plus the courier handling charges of £8-15 (depending on who handles it). You might be only saving £1 and looking at covering the shipping charges should anything go wrong. :(

For those thinking of marking down the price, £15 pound is the threshold at which customs charges apply. I'm not sure that even the dimmest of Customs guys is going to think that it costs less than £15 and should it go missing en route you'll have an equally low insurance value.

Edit: I'm not saying you can't sometimes get away with paying no fees, it's just there are definite downsides to this - like the confiscation of the item.

Edited by Musky

• 4 months later...

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1376669248' post='2177784']
Apparently effectspowersupplies have them

[url="http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/tech-21-vt-bass-di-3989-p.asp"]http://www.effectpow...s-di-3989-p.asp[/url]
[/quote]Yes, we certainly do have them in stock. Is there any appetite for us to do a Basschat offer? If we could get a minimum of 10 units then we would be able to work out a deal. I don't want to breach Basschat guidelines so this is not an explicit offer, merely gauging interest. Details of any offer would be posted in the Affiliates Forum.

With regards to UK pricing versus US, this comes up a lot. As a UK retailer, we buy from the UK distributors. Our prices, as with everyone else's in the UK, includes VAT at 20%. The differences between UK and US prices come down to:

1) VAT at 20% which is included in the UK price whereas US prices are shown before any sales tax is added
2) Shipping and customs duty will have been paid on any importation into the UK
3) UK retailers will buy from the UK distributor (as opposed to directly from Tech 21) which adds another link to the supply chain and will need to be paid. The distributor adds value to the supply chain by upholding the warranty on the equipment (which will not be the case if something has been purchased from abroad), by marketing the brand in the UK, by managing the relationship with retailers to ensure the product is readily available for demonstration and sale, by offering technical support and by investing their money to make sure product is available at short notice.

Any personal import into the UK is liable for: VAT, Customs Duty and the carrier's own Handling Charge. To under-declare values is illegal for both sender and recipient. Sure, some people have got away with it. But others haven't been so lucky. And then those that have got away with it may find out later that the pedal would not be covered by a UK warranty was not worth the saving....

We won't be able to match the US price but we are willing to offer the Basschat community something which I think will be attractive. If you could post your interest here, we'll monitor it and, if enough people want us to, we'll come up with an offer. :)

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. I am delighted to let you know that, for the sake of simplicity, we have set up a discount code on our website for the VT Bass DI. In line with forum rules, I cannot post it here, but you can take a look in the affiliates forum here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/215150-basschat-special-offer-tech-21-vt-bass-di/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/215150-basschat-special-offer-tech-21-vt-bass-di/[/url]

The discount code is valid until the end of August.

Thanks.

Richard :)