Why become a member? ×

Tech 21 VT Bass DI

Musicman20

• 6 months later...

Just bought myself one of these. Used it at rehearsal last night, all controls set to midday, bite and speaker sim engaged. Wow.

Now I loved my set-up before, but now, well I`m like a dog with two, well you get the idea don`t you?

For anyone liking the classic Precision/SVT sound try one of these, I don`t think you`ll be disappointed. Even the guys in the band said "this time leave your sound alone, nothings going to be better than that".

Well maybe a full SVT stack maybe, but that ain`t on the cards.

Hi Lozz,

Thanks for the mini-review and being a P bass Guy with a penchant for the SVT sound I think I need to cave in to the GAS for one of these :lol:

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1396018833' post='2409099']
Just bought myself one of these. Used it at rehearsal last night, all controls set to midday, bite and speaker sim engaged. Wow.

Now I loved my set-up before, but now, well I`m like a dog with two, well you get the idea don`t you?

For anyone liking the classic Precision/SVT sound try one of these, I don`t think you`ll be disappointed. Even the guys in the band said "this time leave your sound alone, nothings going to be better than that".

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, mine arrived at 12:30 today.

I have had a few hours of fun with it and feel so confident that it's being gigged tonight with exactly the settings you've quoted.

Will be leaving my V4BH and 4x10HLF Classic at home.

:D

[/quote]

Great pedal, I agree!
Do you also have the blend at 12?

Edited by PauBass

Three gigs using the VT bass DI over the weekend (yup, I'm exhausted).

1) 60s Band in a large barn type room using it as a DI with a bitsa P bass fitted with a 1962 pickup, Status half round strings.
All settings at 12 o'clock - sounded great although the band was stupidly loud.

2) Blues Band in a small pub using it as preamp into my Ampeg BA115HPT (set flat) with a Squier CV P51 bass fitted with a SD quarter pounder, D'Addario Flat strings.
Settings as above but eased the character pot back to 10 o'clock. It was very noticeable that depending on where I plucked the strings, I could get sounds like McVie in his Mayall days and Keith Ferguson, Fabulous Thunderbirds with no effort at all!

3) Skiffle Band in a provincial theatre, again with the BA115HPT set flat using an electro acoustical bass fitted with a piezo and Status Black Nylon strings. Full on blend pot and everything else as in (2) above. Real punchy acousticy tone. The house sound man was so impressed that he wanted a lot of info on the "box of tricks".

What a piece of kit this is; makes life so easy - can't wait to try a gig with the AEB.

Edited by Jazzneck

IMHO the simple answer is yes.

Not only for the DI bit but the speaker sim. as well as the parallel output.

I've just tried your posted track with my VT Bass DI and Grandsons OLP MM alike - nailed it in one go and the speaker sim tightened it up a treat.

Edited by Jazzneck

• 1 month later...

Well an update to my previous post. Been using the pedal for a couple of months, and now have Blend on Full, Mid on Full, Character at 9 o`clock, Drive at 1 o`clock, Low at Midday, High at 3 o`clock, with both Bite and Speaker Sim engaged. Have been very pleased with the sounds like this, but today recorded with the VT DI for the first time, using my trusty `78 Precision.

And was knocked out by how good it was! Our sound engineer/studio owner, who is a real Ampeg fan also loved the sound. He sold me the `78 and asked to buy it back, on hearing it through the VT DI (that `78 has the best recorded tone of any bass I`ve ever had, was foolish enough to sell it last year, and fortunate to buy it back this year, but that`s another story).

In the mix, with a 2 month-old set of Roto Steel Rounds, the sound was SVT-heaven. Clanky, present in the mix, not overpowering on the lows, fitting in the mix rather than underneath. To anyone wanting the famed SVT sound without the backache (and the dollar), give this pedal a try. You owe it to yourselves.

Edited by Lozz196