Why become a member? ×

Can't Play

Marvin

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1358964020' post='1947796']
I've had similar. Somewhere around '02 the band I was with at the time kinda drifted apart for a number of reasons, and after our last gig I didn't even pick up a bass for some 7-8 years. Just couldn't be arsed, which was possibly part of the reason for the band folding.

I noodled around at home a bit with an acoustic guitar and developed a dirty banjo habit, but had no urge for the bass at all. Just stacked all my gear under the stairs and left it there...

...until mid 2010, when some mates got in touch asking if I'd be up for a one-off gig for a laugh in a local pub.

So I did it, and had a whale of a time. The one-off scratch band is still together, getting more gigs than we can do, and I think I'm enjoying playing more than I've ever done.

As others have said, if you don't wanna play, don't. Life's short mate - do stuff you do want to do.
[/quote]

This is one of the best posts I have read on here.

Well except for the banjo bit!! :D :D

i think we all go through this, i left the last band i was in over 10 yrs ago,we used to do alot of gigs and it became a chore the singer was an ego maniac and it put me off bands and playing bass for a while.
i thought i might join another band and did a couple of auditions but the last audition i did the guitarist/singer insisted on doing the eq on my amp because he wanted a specific kinda sound?suffice to say that didnt work out.
i think part of the beauty of playing bass or any instrument is the fact you can leave it and then come back to it anytime you feel the urge
when i started playing i thought to myself that i was in no way a natural and in fact i was pretty awful but at the back of my mind i thought well ive got a lifetime to nail it :P i play most days and have now got into fretless to keep myself amused and if a band comes around that works i wouldnt hesitate to do it!

Although I always played bass and enjoyed it I never really played between gigs or practiced. That was until I bought myself a Fender Geddy Lee bass. It's such a sports car of the bass world, with it's super fast, thin, neck (which allowed my to play the type of runs I never thought possible before) that it rejuvenated my interest and got me to the next level of competence. Although I no longer have the bass I still play most days even if I have no gigs that week.

So my advice is to go and buy a Geddy lee today. You'll feel much better for it.

Edited by gjones

just take some time off.
Nowt wrong with that if you're not feeling it.

Just crack on with other stuff - homelife, work, gym, study, whatever suits....
then when you least expect it, you'll get some motivation to pick it up and you'll be away!

Maybe go to some gigs and enjoy 'enjoying' music - go to some gigs...

You'll be fine..........

+1 to pretty much all the replies here

Don't stress it mate, to this day I still won't pick up my bass at home if I'm even remotely p@ssed off - I read in my teens about 'negative association and reinforcement' and for some reason it just stuck with me as far as playing an instrument was concerned.

I'd like to think playing music is meant to be fun so if it causes you stress put it away and forget about it, it's not compulsory

Do something else you enjoy and maybe (hopefully) you'll pick it up again one day, if not then no great shakes

Hope you're good otherwise - take it easy

If your not inspired it is easy to lose interest , I played at school , then in a couple of garage bands , but sold up for about 10 years, I got bought a new one by the wife and hit lucky with a blues outfit that the neighbour was putting together , a lack of ambition of the band meant I left (after a fair few years) with no intention of playing much but doing something else.
Then my lad suggest I looked at joinmyband , I did for the craic and fell in with the best bunch ever , the rhythm guitarist has been in bands for 30yrs and I swear he can play any song you care to mention in 2 secs , the drummer is sooooooo solid it is untrue, and the singer , well he can sing like a bird , ok the lead guitarist is a lead guitarist :rolleyes: but is often on fire .
Do what you have to, and let something inspire you , tell us what is is when it happens, but don't write write the low end off just yet ;)

Lots of advice I've taken on board, thanks.

I suppose a break would be good. Frustratingly I've only been playing 3 years and I'm getting to the point I've done my bit of networking and, only a few, but I'm getting asked to do little side projects. I'll have to work out something...or other.

I stopped playing for 18 months or so... and it was just what I needed.
I was rejunvenated and came back much stronger after I got my playing back together
which took a while.

Everything is so much better now... so don't be scared of a break but you have to recover some ground
but I have the energy and drive to do that now.

The only downside was that I gave up so many gigs and you can't get them back easily.............

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1358964020' post='1947796']

...until mid 2010, when some mates got in touch asking if I'd be up for a one-off gig for a laugh in a local pub.

So I did it, and had a whale of a time. The one-off scratch band is still together, getting more gigs than we can do, and I think I'm enjoying playing more than I've ever done.
[/quote]

And now the bloody drummer's had to relocate at short notice, and Bristol to Cambridge is a bit of a trek :(

So look out for me in the 'how hard can it be to find a drummer who can play a constant tempo for a whole song, turn up on time for rehearsals, etc etc...' threads.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1359063231' post='1949421']
I stopped playing for 18 months or so... and it was just what I needed.
I was rejunvenated and came back much stronger after I got my playing back together
which took a while.

Everything is so much better now... so don't be scared of a break but you have to recover some ground
but I have the energy and drive to do that now.

The only downside was that I gave up so many gigs and you can't get them back easily.............
[/quote]

Absolutomundy.

Even a short break of a few weeks helps me sometimes. Seem to play better and not just plod through.

Works with the whole band, sometimes when gigs get short, a 3 week break, without a rehearsal, and in my case hardly even picking up a Bass, makes it all kinda fresher, and new ideas come that way..

Reminds me of when I stopped riding motorbikes. I'd ridden them from late teens up to early 40s. Ridden all over the UK and most of Europe to bike rallies, camping etc, and lived on a bike and in a tent for 6 months travelling around Europe and North Africa after I did my degree. Used a motorbike every day, for commuting and pleasure whatever the distance or weather. I loved motorbikes and everything about them.

Then suddenly one day I just completely lost interest. Had no qualms about selling my beloved Honda VFR. It was very odd at the time and all my friends and family couldn't believe it. But it happened.

Why don't you try something completely different for a while - even something totally unrelated to music.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1361098060' post='1980911']
....Do pro musicians ever go through this sort of things and how do they deal with it if they can't afford to give it a rest for a few months?....
[/quote]

Do you ever stop going to the office (or to your workplace) because you don't like it anymore?

There are very few pro musicians that only play what they like. They can dislike what they are being asked to play and can feel stale but probably won't let it affect them in the same way.

Edited by chris_b

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1361041765' post='1980332']

And now the bloody drummer's had to relocate at short notice, and Bristol to Cambridge is a bit of a trek :(

So look out for me in the 'how hard can it be to find a drummer who can play a constant tempo for a whole song, turn up on time for rehearsals, etc etc...' threads.
[/quote]

And...bingo!

Audition & a few beers last week - proper rehearsal tonight. Can't wait :)

And he's got his own kit and everything...!

Can I just add that writer / players block does happen and I will not comment on the why's and how's as it's different for everyone.

What I will say is that the Humility shown on this forum sometimes is very humbling.

We critise we explore and we shout and we have humor

All this comes together as a forum a community even an extended family if you will.

It's very nice to see the troops rally round

Don't give it up just have a break like many others maybe your time will come. But don't force the issue.

:)

Edited by ZenBasses

That has happened to a few musician friends of mine over the years. They just... walk away. And usually they come back months / years down the line.

Who knows - maybe I'll just wake up one morning and think... 'bugger it'. But as it stands I literally can't comprehend it. It's such an alien concept.

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1363097315' post='2008380']
And...bingo!

Audition & a few beers last week - proper rehearsal tonight. Can't wait :)

And he's got his own kit and everything...!
[/quote]

So it seems it wasn't that hard after all. ;-) Glad to hear you found a drummer and hope he will fit as well into the group. Much enjoyment!

/ Swede