Why become a member? ×

JLS "Britain's Hardest Working Band"

Jayben

[quote name='Jayben' timestamp='1358520283' post='1940728']
[url="http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/jls-named-britains-hardestworking-band-of-the-year-for-second-time-consecutively-8434118.html"]http://www.independe...ly-8434118.html[/url]

[i]"JLS have been crowned Britain's hardest-working band in 2012 after headlining more major concerts than any other artists.[/i]

[i]The boy band performed 34 UK shows in the last year, securing the four-piece the title for the second year in a row."[/i]

What do we think of this then?
[/quote]

it must be true because its now TWO years in a row which can only surely show their consistency and dedication :ph34r:

and its in the indiependent not some shabby old rag like the sun .... <_<

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1358527315' post='1940929']
Must be a new definition of the word 'work' that I wasn't aware of.
[/quote]

That is the important thing. Define "work"! I have a teenage daughter and I am exposed to lots of boy bands plus Bieber. I here all the "hangers on" saying how hard they all work. Did anyone catch the Peter Andre series! If he doesnt like being away from his kids and wants to be a normal dad then just give up the artificial rich life and get a proper job. As for the others, being ferried from one luxury hotel to the next by jets and limo's is being on holiday for most of us. After all, If a bunch of young blokes cant go out every night and party, then who can. I wonder how JLS will fair if they have to get themselves from one gig to the next by public transport, and book their own rooms in premier inn!

They could always get up at 5am and "knock up" cement for 8hrs, thats hard work!

The longest part of their day is praying to the god of autotune!

Edited by mentalextra

I remember years ago when we supported Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine at some of their gigs, they'd managed to do 350 shows in a year, and that included carrying and setting up their own gear.
Admittedly, the gear only consisted of 2 guitars, 2 small combos and a DAT machine all shorhorned into a Mini along with them and manager, but plenty all the same!

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1358557869' post='1941538']
And you have this info on good authority?

How an earth are you meant know what the cutting sheet was in the studio & how much involvement the guys had on songs if you were not there?
[/quote]

Well, they don't have songwriting credits on any of their output, which is a pretty big clue...

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1358588964' post='1941686']
Personally I see them - andf their ilk - as nothing more than a watered down version of the vocal groups that have been formed since before Motown. The style of song is flavour of the month just now due to Pop Idol, X factor, BGT (same sh*t, different title), so none of it will be remembered as any form of classic in the realms of Ronettes, Drifters, Four Tops, etc. in the future so all-in-all I don't give it any thought.

This is a musicians forum, JLS aren't musicians, they have very little relevance and working musicians on any level, whether they're playing the Frog & Sickbag on Friday or O2 arena they'd give zero credence to this <_< "award".
[/quote]

Great quote - hit the nail right on the head.

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1358603554' post='1942024']
Well, they don't have songwriting credits on any of their output, which is a pretty big clue...
[/quote]

Recently heard an interview with them saying that they've not had involvement in any writing yet but plan to. That's nothing new, no one at Motown did for example, but then I guess the craft was a million times better. Subjective though I suppose, as far as them being the hardest working band in the UK, it is of course a totally mad statement set to infuriate almost every independent and hard-working group of musicians that still toil and slave around the country in a beaten up Transit and less than 30p in their pocket.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1358617461' post='1942331']
I'm guessing, from your defending them 3 times now, that you have either already had, or hope to, have work with "the guys" backing band?
[/quote]

I'm not defending them for personal gain. Just that people are far to quick to slander others just because they're commercial or not playing the the local week in week out.

I wouldn't say it's libel to state a personal opinion.
"Commercial" by definition is anything that makes money, or is done with the intent of making money, so I would describe JLS more as exploitative (for reasons already stated) rather than commercial.

There's a world of difference between JLS being allegedly "harder-working" than any of the bands/people mentioned by previous posters. I'm fairly sure it would only be gullible kids who would agree with that moniker, even the ones that wrote it would almost certainly be unable to actually say it due to their tongue being very firmly stuck in their cheek.

• 3 months later...

[size=6][b]Band you’ve never heard of to stop making music you never listen to[/b][/size]

[b]A band you wouldn’t recognise if they served in you McDonald’s is going to stop making songs you wouldn’t listen to if they paid you.[/b]
JLS announced the split to stunned journalists who were pretty sure they’d disbanded some time in 2011.

[url="http://newsthump.com/2013/04/24/band-youve-never-heard-of-to-stop-making-music-you-never-listen-to/"]http://newsthump.com...ever-listen-to/[/url]

Edited by 4 Strings

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1358521603' post='1940768']
I did more gigs than that in the first 3 months of 2012, but then I wasn't headlining, they weren't major concerts and I wouldn't expect that many thought to call us artists, either.

I don’t know JLS but good luck to them. This is only sales hype. It’s not important.

[/quote]

The right perspective....

34 MAJOR dates might seem like a dream but there is a lot of pressure in that.
They can't get sick or injured as people's livelihoods are dependant on the run of shows..
They may well spend all day getting to the gig and even with luxury transport links, it will get very tiring.

For sure, there are bands working way harder... and without the support they have, but they seem to have
done well with their day in the sun. Good luck to them..
I am not sure a metal/doom band would get this sniping/ridicule or whatever is your thing....????

Having said that..............
The worse thing is that you will get JLS musak x 4 now..when they all roll out their solo product. :lol:
Their fan base will be in tears but they will soon move onto the next big thing.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1366874818' post='2058268']
A band you wouldn’t recognise if they served in you McDonald’s is going to stop making songs...
[/quote]

Is it only now a matter of time before I [i]do [/i]recognise them when they serve me in McDonald's..?