Why become a member? ×

What's the appeal of a fretless?

I like fretless because it sounds different, and it's a sound I like... that's about it.
Those typical fretless slides can get tiring pretty fast, but -like slap- if not overdone, they add another level of expression on bass. And when using an octave pedal, or some kind of synth, the fretless can be extremely cool.
You can play it like a fretted bass... "with extras".

Lined fretless are extremely easy to get used to, in my experience, but unlined is easier than it seems. The side dots are enough to help with navigation when jumping abot the fretboard a bit. The thing is that, if you have played bass already for some time, your hands know where the notes are better than you probably realise. Of course, on fretless you need to be pretty accurate or it sounds terribly off, but it doesn't take too long to be able to play it "alright". You quickly get used to "cheating", like adding a bit of vibrato immediately if you fall short or overshoot a sustained note, and if in doubt aim short and "microslide" up to the correct note. etc.
To get to play like Pino... yeah, that's going to take a while and a lot of dedication... but you can play alright without as much effort as many think. Of course, it's not instant either...

Another cool thing of the fretless, in some situations, is that you are less likely to get asked "can I play your bass, mate?" :lol:

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1357492525' post='1923465']
I like fretless because it sounds different, and it's a sound I like... that's about it.
Those typical fretless slides can get tiring pretty fast, but -like slap- if not overdone, they add another level of expression on bass. And when using an octave pedal, or some kind of synth, the fretless can be extremely cool.
You can play it like a fretted bass... "with extras".

Lined fretless are extremely easy to get used to, in my experience, but unlined is easier than it seems. The side dots are enough to help with navigation when jumping abot the fretboard a bit. The thing is that, if you have played bass already for some time, your hands know where the notes are better than you probably realise. Of course, on fretless you need to be pretty accurate or it sounds terribly off, but it doesn't take too long to be able to play it "alright". You quickly get used to "cheating", like adding a bit of vibrato immediately if you fall short or overshoot a sustained note, and if in doubt aim short and "microslide" up to the correct note. etc.
To get to play like Pino... yeah, that's going to take a while and a lot of dedication... but you can play alright without as much effort as many think. Of course, it's not instant either...

Another cool thing of the fretless, in some situations, is that you are less likely to get asked "can I play your bass, mate?" :lol:
[/quote]

Same here, I don't play in an obvious fretless way, I just always liked them and ended up going that way exclusively a couple of years ago. And yes, I love the "can I play your bass" quote - even more so, mines 5 string :D

Two things, for me: flexibility, and the lovely noise - especially from a P-style pup.
Flexibility because it can do anything a fretted can (though it's quite a bit harder, for, say, tapping), plus slides, trapping harmonics, etc.. (Not that I personally can do these things, you understand :D )

Practicing on fretless improves my fretted intonation, BTW.

I recommend the Yamaha RBX200F as a starter, if your defret goes badly.

(Also the unlined board can look very very cool, if that floats your boat. Example: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/165919-veillette-paris-fretless-4-price-reduced-again-l1200/page__hl__veillette%20paris"]http://basschat.co.u...illette%20paris[/url] . And I don't even like blue basses... :gas: )

Edited by alyctes

You can play any note, not just ones in the 12-tone scale. Essential for jamming with your local Gamelan.

The keyboard player can tune down a bit, you can finger the notes a bit flat, and you can the whole practice session ripping on guitarist for how his axe is a POS 'cos it won't stay in tune.

Put through effects, the slide doesn't sound as cliché'd (or at least, not the same cliché) - e.g. through gated fuzz it can give you a great analogue synth portamento effect.

I think it is in the inaccuracy of the notes :lol:

Seriously, though. The warmth of a string section comes from the fact that each of the individual players is minutely out of tune with the others, creating a natural and welcome chorusing effect (if you tape the same string player 20 times, it doesn't sound like a string section). There is a 'human' quality that this inaccuracy brings to the table that adds considerable character to the notes played on the fretless and which is missing in a fretted bass. Also, if you listen to a double bass soloing, when they go into thumb position, the inaccuracy in their intonation brings a huge amount of tenion into the note, like a singer reaching for a note that is out of their range. This tension, which is less obvious in an electriv bass but is still there, adds colour to the performance and, when it is missing, it is noiticeable. For me, there are several fretless players whose intonation is SO accurate, they lose this human quality to the detriment of the music.

All of this sounds like a justification for bad intonation and it is important that we understand that I am talking about barely audible inaccuracies not 'wrong' notes. My intonation is by no means perfect and I struggle with it every day but, the use of a fretted bass (with its built-in 'stabilisers' ;)) is, for me, a 'safe' option that has its attractions but, in the end, is not worth the price of that lost 'human' quality.

Does that answer the question?

For the record, I use fretless in rock, blues, funk, function bands, shows, big bands, small jazz trios and latin music. It always works. The only areas I see it losing out to fretted are in chordal work, tapping and slapping, none of which are a feature of my playing.

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1357448210' post='1922785']
It's all in the mwahh. And slides. Gotta love the slides...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNDqzpgzdis[/media]
[/quote]

So is that an air Wal Fretless do you think?

It doesn't sound like an air Fender to me ...

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1357552417' post='1924202']... There is a 'human' quality that this inaccuracy brings to the table that adds considerable character to the notes played on the fretless and which is missing in a fretted bass.[/quote]

I took a bass guitar to a rehearsal yesterday when I would normally take a DB (took a whack on the left shoulder at the weekend and didn't fancy the idea playing DB for 4 hours). I thought it would be missing something in terms of the tone but I think you're right - it was just too accurate. It didn't sound right at all.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1357552417' post='1924202']Also, if you listen to a double bass soloing, when they go into thumb position, the inaccuracy in their intonation brings a huge amount of tenion into the note,[/quote]

Sometimes too much tension. ;)