Why become a member? ×

are there any super bands with poor bass players?

iconic

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1356667034' post='1912257']
Motley Crue?

I also remember some band somewhere that had to re-record all the bass parts laid down by the original bass player because they were so bad. I think it might have been a Trevor Horn produced track...was it Frankie Goes To Hollywood?
[/quote]

The blockheads played many of the rhythm tracks for FGTH.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1445706289' post='2893638']
Poor bass player, though..? :huh: Hmm...
[/quote]

Good enough to play down the 'Dog & Duck' on a Saturday. But good enough to be playing with Jimi Hendrix? Other bands weren't exactly knocking his door down, asking him to play bass for them, after he left Jimi.

John Mayer often plays Jimi Hendrix covers live, with Pino Pallidino playing bass. Listen to the bass on the solo. Now that's how it should be done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-uSnRVy0Fs

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1445708642' post='2893665']
Did Gene Simmons from Kiss get mentioned in the old part of the thread (I only read the first and last couple of pages)?
[/quote]

[Scrolls to top of page.
Enters "gene simmons" in search field.
Presses Enter key.
One result: a post by KingBollock.
Enters "kiss" in search field.
Presses Enter key.
One result: a post by KingBollock.]

Er...
Nope!

:P :D ;) :ph34r:

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1445710083' post='2893679']

[Scrolls to top of page.
Enters "gene simmons" in search field.
Presses Enter key.
One result: a post by KingBollock.
Enters "kiss" in search field.
Presses Enter key.
One result: a post by KingBollock.]

Er...
Nope!

:P :D ;) :ph34r:
[/quote]
I didn't think of trying that before I posted. I didn't know you could search the contents of just one thread. However, I did try it after I posted, and it came up with nothing, even though my post was now in here, so I didn't know how trustworthy it was, or if it didn't include it because I had posted it, or something.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1445711194' post='2893690']
I didn't think of trying that before I posted. I didn't know you could search the contents of just one thread. However, I did try it after I posted, and it came up with nothing, even though my post was now in here, so I didn't know how trustworthy it was, or if it didn't include it because I had posted it, or something.
[/quote]

Aye. This is how things are with us people. I do it all the time myself.
It was just that I simply couldn't resist pulling yer leg a little.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1445707762' post='2893652']
Good enough to play down the 'Dog & Duck' on a Saturday. But good enough to be playing with Jimi Hendrix?
[/quote]

OK, in that case I propose Billy Cox as candidate for the Wooden Spoon. NR is maybe not the best in the world, but poor.? I didn't find it so all those years ago, giving allowance for it being the late '60s, just the same. Still, folks an' strokes an' all... B)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1356690015' post='1912360']
Robert Hurst (Wynton Marsalis, Branford Marsalis, Tony Williams, Mulgrew Miller, Harry Connick Jr., Geri Allen, Russell Malone, Steve Coleman and The Tonight Show band) said that a bass player shoud 'get off on making other people sound good'. I could not do Cliff WIlliams' job in 1,000 years; I lack the discipline (although I am getting better as I get older). And shocking as it may sound, not every bass player is just a bass player; sometimes they write songs, do b. vocs, add glamour at some level or another, multi-task (Geddy Lee is not half as good a bass player as he is made out to be (same with Peart's drumming)) etc etc. Being the bass player in a lot of rock 'n'n roll/pop/metal bands is rarely about being a great musician. Often 'good enough' is good eonough.
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1445715913' post='2893729']
Aye. This is how things are with us people. I do it all the time myself.
It was just that I simply couldn't resist pulling yer leg a little.
[/quote] in fairness, the search function on this forum sucks watermelons through elephants. I find I get much better results using Google and site:basschat.co.UK as a search term.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1445705700' post='2893628']
The blockheads played many of the rhythm tracks for FGTH.
[/quote]

[url=http://basschat.co.uk/topic/195136-are-there-any-super-bands-with-poor-bass-players/page__view__findpost__p__2890573]But their performance weren't deemed good enough to use on any of the records[/url].

Does the bassist lack the ability? Cant keep time? Did they leave any major flaws on a recorded work?
I must admit that John Lennons attempt at bass on The Long & Winding road was a bit of a flaw. But he was not a bassist and it was buried in the mix anyway. :)

I think 'the lads' from FGTH get a bad press in terms of their musical ability. I heard one of their original demos back in the day and they could play perfectly well. Also saw them live at the NEC on the 'Liverpool' tour and they were excellent. Peter John Vettese (a keyboard player of some note) was on the tour and he rated them as musicians.

If you scour YouTube the various 'early Frankie' and 'Blockhead Frankie' demos are there to be heard/compared.

It was very much of its time but I reckon Trevor Horn/ZTT/Paul Morley did an incredible job with FGTH; from the music to the marketing to the mystique. One of the more interesting bands of the 80s for me..