Why become a member? ×

Cars for Bassplayers

cloudburst

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1356433734' post='1910157']
had a 318i - could get two hartke cabs on the back seat (410 and 115) and guitars across the rear footwell with all the boot still free for other band gear if need be
[/quote]

That's useful to know. I've been thinking of moving our Citroen on and getting a 3series but was concerned I wouldn't be able to get a 410 on the back seats.

I've got a Skoda Octavia 4x4 estate... Loads of room in the back, and we live 1000 feet up, with access by a 1 in 3 single track road. It's never gor stuck in snow, though I once spun it by being over-enthusiastic on ice, and that's on summer tyres!
if it gets stopped from going over the very top of the hill by drifts I've got a Defender with 2" lift and mud'n'snow tyres, though there's actually more room in the octavia and you don't have to lift stuff as high to get it in...
As it's petrol, fuel economy isn't very good (there is a diesel available!) but as the chap from out local Shropshire garage said "er's got some poke!" And it handles very well - definitely gives my Alfa Giulietta a run for its money.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1356433868' post='1910159']
That's useful to know. I've been thinking of moving our Citroen on and getting a 3series but was concerned I wouldn't be able to get a 410 on the back seats.
[/quote]
you can get two on there (IIRC 24"x24"x15" each) soooo... theoretically you should be able to get an 810 cab across the back seat

one word of advice just be careful around the front edge of the rear wheel arches when lifting the cab in - i was being a bit hasty and lazy one day and the corner of the cab put a nice little dent in the bodywork :gas:
oh and the seat belts will also fit around the two cabs and clip in to help secure them

Toyota Hilux with truck cab on back.
More reliable than a Range Rover
Better mpg than Range Rover or Porsche at 35-40 mpg.
Proper off-roader when you need it.
Everything fits in the back leaving 5 seats in cab area for band.
Would you really want to throw amps and cases onto your RR leather seats. ??

No seats need to be folded down either.
Audi A3 too small and heard some poor reports also not great in snowy conditions.
A4 doesn't have a lot of leg-room in back seats so not ideal as a normal car.

A6 might be an option although they don't come in 4x4 i don't think.

Take a look at the various 4x4 pick-ups. Some good deals on the go from Toyota, Nissan and Mitsubishi
Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Dave

Did have a Chevy astro van that could shift a full band and still have four big armchairs for nice travel
Now it's BMW 320 diesel estate, does 2 4x10, amp, guitars etc, no trouble!
I did get the same in my daughters corsa a few weeks back, was a bit tight though!
Tony

I'm just about to move from a 57 plate SEAT Altea XL which I've had since new to a new A4 Avant. The problem with the A4 is that the rear seat doesn't fold totally flat like it does in the Altea but it's a much nicer car and the boot area has a slightly larger footprint but isn't as high inside. I'd have loved to have gone for a BMW 123d, it's a great drive but I can't get my gear plus the PA in it. An A6 Avant would be my ideal car for purpose.

I have a Mazda 2 and playing "car tetris" I can fit my 210 cab, my 115 cab, my amp, 2 basses and a few stands in.

That said, OH and I bought a Peugeot Partner van earlier in the year, and this has made life sooooo much easier.... I can load all my bass equipment in and still have a ridiculous amount of room spare!

So we share the Mazda and the van now :D

How about a Nissan Pathfinder? A big, proper 4x4. Load space was a big reason for buying this; the back is more square, rather than curving down coupe style like today's estates/more sporty SUVs, meaning you can pack it high right to the back. Fold flat seats.

The downsides are fuel and tax, although the post-2011model is much better for that aparently. For me, it's the perfect balance between ruggedness and comfort.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1356431266' post='1910125']
Add the Nissan X-Trail to your list (the post 08 cars have a bigger boot with the seats still upright). I can get all of my gear and some of the PA in the boot without dropping seats and 'if' you are unfortunate enough to get caught out in snow/mud etc. you have the selectable 4x4. 40mpg and nice to drive... what's not to like?
[/quote]
The ride in the back is vomit- inducingly choppy. So is the Qashqai's. Think the engineers forgot they weren't working on GTRs.
Back on topic, do you need to carry more than just one other person besides yourself when carrying 3 cased bases and said combo?
As others have said, you can get that in anything more commodious than a Caterham if you're prepared to fold your rear seats down.
I've got a bass, head, 2x10, drummer and decent-sized kit in a mk1 Punto.
It only becomes an issue if you've got other band members/gear and PA/lights to regularly transport. Then it's time to look at crew-cabbed "band vans"
SUVs and Utes will only unnecessarily hammer your fuel economy, and will only be of benefit if the conditions are evil AND you have appropriate tyres fitted. Then you'll be wanting a Land Rover with a snorkel kit and a decent winch and land-anchor.

Luxury vehicles are fine, but they are just that. If you want one, that's fine, too, but they're no better for gear lugging than other options (see jacqueslemac's excellent Berlingo photos!)

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1356469645' post='1910437']
Mondeo estate ticks all the boxes for me.
[/quote]

Like a cavern inside....
Looked at one, decided I didn't need all that room for 99% of the time...and didn't want to get lumbered with any miore P.A stuff either..
Bought a sporty Mazda which is easily big enough..and I hardly need the back seats down. even if I am carrying 2x20's and lights

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1356389677' post='1909970']
Interesting thread for me. I've currently got a 3 series coupe. With the prospect of gigging again in 2013 I need something to get my gear in. Couple of basses, amp, cab and assorted odds and ends. I've thought about 4 x 4 but the usual off-roader type vehicles are too high off the floor. I'll be looking for something with a low floor line like an estate car but nwhich one :huh:
[/quote]

did for me well enough, altho the cab needs thinking about, but I'd rather do that that change the car.
I used to get 2x112 or 2x2210, 2 basses amp, kit bag and lights plus a pasenger

If you want to get to and from gigs in record time then go for the Porsche! A former colleague of mine had the Cayenne Turbo S, when I drove It i simply could not believe how fast it was, it was mind blowing, iirc 520bhp. Not sure I would have wanted his fuel and road tax bills though!! :D

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1356386226' post='1909898']
Folks,

Just wondering if I could get the benefit of your experiences with transporting your basses and amps etc.

What I'm looking at is to get a car which I can throw 2 or 3 basses into in their hard cases (eg. the standard MusicMan molded case) along with a small combo.

The important thing is that I can fit the basses in the boot in their large cases with minimum faffling. I have 3 cars at the moment (as I live in various places) and none of them are any good for space. They are a MINI Cooper S, a Jeep Wrangler and a BMW Z3M Coupe (odd 2 seater shooting-brake effort).

What I'm looking at is a (secondhand) SUV or an estate car. I'm going to do a trawl of the dealerships in the holidays with my biggest case, but would welcome any views on the following (only if you know from experience whether they easily accommodate a large bass case).

- Range Rover
- Range Rover Sport
- Porsche Cayenne
- VW Toureg
- Audi A4 estate
- Audi A6 estate
- Audi A3 sportback

Thanks for any guidance.
CB
[/quote]

Beware the Range Rover and Range Rover Sport. I had one of each a while back. They're not as big as you think they are in the boot.

However, I had a loaner Volvo XC70 for a coupla weeks recently and got the guitar and bass amps, the basses and guitars, the lighting rig, the PA, half the drum kit ..... and the band in there. Amazing.