Why become a member? ×

Online Band Calendars - any suggestions

molan

I want to set up a calendar for my band that everyone can access remotely via the web so that we can book rehearsals, block out time for gigs etc.

Ideally I'd like everyone to be able to log in individually with a single password and for it to show nice simple colour coded blocks for when people aren't available etc.

I'm sure there are a few of these around but just thought I'd see if anyone here has any preferences or advice :)

Unless you're in a band with a huge number of members are you sure you'll have a need? Being in a band is all about communication, keeping it more "remote" could lead to rows and detachment. It's just as easy to plan ahead any time that you meet up, just about all phones have a calendar facility in them now.
IMHO of course. :unsure:

There's only 5 of us in the band but we have a pilot who gets his long hail flight allocation quite a way in advance and a drummer who's in 3 other bands and who works on a 'first come first served' type basis.

Being able to check if we can make a gig quickly is easier than calling all four other members and cross-referencing individual calendars :)

If I use Google does that mean everyone has to have a Gmail account?

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1356264453' post='1908483']
Google. Does everything you would need and more![/quote]

Plus the one. Once you get into it, it's invaluable.
But I also agree with Big Stu in that I phone everyone anyway, 'just to make sure...' Old School, see. :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1356265040' post='1908492']

[/quote]

Yup, but that's no great hardship.

Rather harder is working out why the other band members (whether or not computer illiterate) seem entirely incapable of referring to said calendar, and claim that they can't add dates to it because "it won't let them".

Does your band have an IT Department?

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1356267883' post='1908524']
Yup, but that's no great hardship.

Rather harder is working out why the other band members (whether or not computer illiterate) seem entirely incapable of referring to said calendar, and claim that they can't add dates to it because "it won't let them".

Does your band have an IT Department?
[/quote]

We do have a software engineer - maybe that'll help :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1356265040' post='1908492']
There's only 5 of us in the band but we have a pilot who gets his long hail flight allocation quite a way in advance and a drummer who's in 3 other bands and who works on a 'first come first served' type basis.

Being able to check if we can make a gig quickly is easier than calling all four other members and cross-referencing individual calendars :)

[/quote]

It is perfect for this... one dedicated account for the band. Everyone uses it and assigns their phone to it and it is there to call up anytime you like.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1356267883' post='1908524']

Rather harder is working out why the other band members (whether or not computer illiterate) seem entirely incapable of referring to said calendar,

[/quote]

In principle it's a cracking idea. In practice though...

It works best if you are the only one who adds to it but send out a link occasionally so the others can view it.

I have enough problems working out when I'm free let alone keeping another calendar up to date when I'm free.

Just add gigs and practices to it, but only after asking other people if they're free first. Don't expect them to remember to add when their granny's 80th birthday party etc is.

Google calendars.

Set up one band calendar plus individual ones. Easy to check/modify from your computer or phone... Been using it for years.
Of course, it's only as good as the information you put in, so people must use it/update it. Even if not fully up to date, it's a great tool when booking gigs, as it gives you some dates you can already say no to, even if you still need to confirm "manually".

It works for us: juggling three-four bands.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1356386115' post='1909896']
I assume you don't all have iPhones with built in calendars already.
[/quote]
Doesn't matter, just assign iPhone to whichever calendar. I have an iPhone and Samsung that both point to Google calendar.
iPhones are for dummies... Couldn't be easier

Google & I am pretty sure I didn't need a Gmail account for it. Syncs to my Outlook and I think I have just about managed to get it to stop showing dentist & doctor appointments and my two weekly injection & site reminder to everyone else.

It does save the hassle of the ring/text round to confirm availability at the last minute, particularly with a vocalist whose phone goes straight to answerphone and whose mobile is switched off 99% of the time