Why become a member? ×

what is a fast neck?

Sambrook

This is probably one of those questions where the answer is obvious to everyone but me. In the interests of advancing the frontiers of our knowledge, however, here goes:
What makes a neck 'fast'? I personally prefer a chunky neck, and find a slim, Jazz neck cramping. So for me, a chunky neck IS a fast neck.
Does it mean you have to open your hand wider,which slows you down?
I've noticed also, in reviews (BGM) a bigger neck is labelled 'comfortable', which I agree with. Does this mean a slim neck is UNcomfortable?
Sorry about the slightly random thoughts, but all input appreciated.

I find a slim jazz neck the most comfortable.
In my opinion a fast neck is one without a sticky finish that allows the fretting hand to move around it unencumbered by a sticky finish.
I find gloss finishes sticky and slow and my nitro finished Warmoth slim taper jazz neck super fast and very comfortable.

A fast neck is different things to different people, so there is no definitive answer.

Like you I don't like jazz profile necks & prefer really chunky ones. I've also never had any problems with gloss lacquered or painted necks, which plenty of people hate & say they find "slow" or "sticky".

Rhys P said it best.. there is no such thing.. just like there is no best bass, no best music.. everyones hands are different.... different necks for different people.... you could say that a good jazz bass neck is very fast... but for some one with very big hands it may not be as fast to get around.... more nonsense phrases from the world of bass geeks...

Usually when a bass is advertised as having a 'fast neck' it means that it's slim, and/or has tighter string spacing. But I agree, it's a silly thing to say because people prefer different things... I mean Billy Sheehan loves those ridiculously massive 70's P bass necks!

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1354296026' post='1884619']
In my opinion a fast neck is one without a sticky finish that allows the fretting hand to move around it unencumbered by a sticky finish.
I find gloss finishes sticky and slow and my nitro finished Warmoth slim taper jazz neck super fast and very comfortable.
[/quote]

This makes more sense to be honest :D

Can I throw in a couple more? What is a slim neck? Is it slim top to bottom (ie shorter frets) or front to back?

Also, which is 'C' and 'D' shape? Is a C rounded and a D more square, flatter at the back?

I've always thought slim was front to back and thin shorter frets (like Jazz). Am I right?

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1354319129' post='1884909']
Can I throw in a couple more? What is a slim neck? Is it slim top to bottom (ie shorter frets) or front to back?

Also, which is 'C' and 'D' shape? Is a C rounded and a D more square, flatter at the back?

I've always thought slim was front to back and thin shorter frets (like Jazz). Am I right?
[/quote]

A slim neck would be like one on an Ibanez SR; very thin. Doesn't always need to be thin at the nut, it's just not as "chunky". Visualise a P-bass neck, now think of a neck opposite of what that is.
I agree though, it's very subjective. Billy Sheehan is one of the fastest guns in the west, yet he plays the chunkiest necks you can get.
But then again, doing that on anything other than a 4-string could be tiresome.

It's not just about neck thickness though. People look at that and feel it the deciding factor. Fingerboard radius also counts, as does spacing.

A very subjective thing is a 'fast neck' I suppose the definitive answer might be 'A neck that you can get around quickly on' Although a tad trite, that is essentially it.

This speedy neck could be one thing or a combination of many, such as: A surface that allows for fast moving of the fretting hand with no dragging, No sticky out sharp fret edges to, again, make for a fast getaway up the neck and back down again. Without tearing ones hand to pieces. Size of neck, as in width, i.e.

Jazz or Precision widths (usually 38 and 42mm [i]ish[/i], respectively) This doesn't necessarily mean a Jazz is easier. Some folks have played P bass for years and cant get on with a Jazz basses thinner spacing between strings. This makes them correspondingly slower with the thinner Jazz neck

Or maybe its the profile of the neck that is the deciding factor ie a C or D shape, or some thing in between?

Some people can slide up and down with the speed of a on a fret less neck, but couldn't do the same on a fretted bass.

Or maybe they could if the frets them selves were thinner or old style fat frets.

Some have gigged with one bass for so long, and worn their frets down so much that when they try and play on any other bass its like they have just started learning. But give them back their old knackered fret friend and they slide up and down it like lighting to a conductor rod.

I have probably left quite a few things out here. So to answer the question. "what is a fast neck" The answer is, one that you can play on fast. What [i]makes[/i] that neck fast though is a whole different kettle of waggon wheels.

Edited by daz

I suspect that as we chop and change instruments, many people got used to necks of all shapes and sizes over time, both gloss and matt finish.

I do find instruments that require a lighter finger pressure to intonate properly a bit quicker to jump around on, as there seems to be less overall muscle tension/relaxation involved for the fretting hand.

Probably different for everyone though.

• 4 months later...

Neck Profiles: C, D, Asymmetrical.....etc

I need to decide upon a neck profile for a five string bass which I have just ordered! So any thoughts which might help me decide would be much appreciated.

I'm moving up from a four to a five so it's gonna feel strange regardless!

I hear a lot of good things about the asymmetrical necks so any thoughts on that would be appreciated.
As it stands the only specification I'm providing for the neck is the fingerboard which I am going for completely flat.
As for the back, the actual neck profile I'm not sure what would be best. I previously owned a Warwick thumb 4, the neck I loved. Had a few jazz basses which again were great. Also had a Warwick corvette 5 which was good however I hated the Warwick corvette rock bass 4 string which I tried in a store and I think that was a 'D' shape?

I'm thinking 5 should be flatter but maybe for structural strength it might not be as flat as I'm expecting!