Why become a member? ×

what is a fast neck?

Sambrook

I found my old Geddy Lee neck (which are the slimmest Jazz necks Fender make) very easy to get around on. It also was very easy to get a low action on as well. In fact, weirdly, I almost felt it was a bit too easy to play and tempted me to be a bit too busy on it.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1354296077' post='1884620']
A fast neck is different things to different people, so there is no definitive answer.

[/quote]

Exactly this . If you can play fast on it and feel unimpeded , it's a fast neck . It will never be universally agreed on what necks are fast because everybodies hands are different sizes .

status graphite necks - super slick smooth like glass and fast for me

persoanlly i dont find too much problem switching between J and P width nuts and 34 or 35 scales - if anyhting is likely to slow my playing its not the left hand on the neck its the right hand position ie string spacing, string/body clearance, pickup positioning etc - if i cant put my right hand where it wants to position itself then that tends to slow me down more

the only exception i will add for necks is warwicks - love the tone to pieces but just feels like im trying to wrap my sweaty little mitt around a scabby old plank of 2x4 :o :ph34r:

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1365021768' post='2034340']
the only exception i will add for necks is warwicks - love the tone to pieces but just feels like im trying to wrap my sweaty little mitt around a scabby old plank of 2x4 :o :ph34r:
[/quote]

You should try an early Warwick, especially a JD Thumb. It completely spoilt me for other basses.

[quote name='Sambrook' timestamp='1354295609' post='1884613']
What makes a neck 'fast'?
[/quote]

Guy Pratt answers the question quite succinctly in this clip

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_3Jc54k1Es"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_3Jc54k1Es[/url]

Edited by toneknob

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1365020798' post='2034324']
I found my old Geddy Lee neck (which are the slimmest Jazz necks Fender make) very easy to get around on. It also was very easy to get a low action on as well. In fact, weirdly, I almost felt it was a bit too easy to play and tempted me to be a bit too busy on it.
[/quote]

Best example for me of a fast neck, I love my Geddy Lee so much that I bought a second one!