Why become a member? ×

How many mistakes per gig do you make?

The Dark Lord

'Nobody in the audience ever notices' is an easy trap/bad habit to fall into. Have ot admit to developing that attitude at one time when I was playing in a covers band that was made up mostly of drunkards. although I really used to enjoy the gigs.

Experience of playng with the same people for a while helps you to cover both your own and other peoples cock ups, Personally I get as much of a kick from getting out of trouble as I do from playing a number perfectly. As has been said, the trik is to not let the audience know about it by giving each other dirty looks etc.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1354275494' post='1884300']
I guess we all make some sorta mistakes here and there - except perhaps for the really top-notch pros among us, but then again they can even be thrown by someone else's errors.
[/quote]

Everyone makes mistakes at times,it doesn't matter who they are. I've seen Victor Wooten visibly and
audibly wince when he does something wrong. I've seen/heard/played with top guys who have misread
something,or missed a repeat or whatever. Anyone that says that they don't make mistakes at some
time or another (no matter how small) is bullshitting.

It really depends on why you made the mistake. If it's due to lack of concentration then buck up your ideas. If it's due to lack of practice then practice more. If it's due to leaping around then practice leaping around and playing. If it's due to distractions there's not a lot you can do and still remain connected with the audience.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1354292707' post='1884579']
'Nobody in the audience ever notices' is an easy trap/bad habit to fall into. Have ot admit to developing that attitude at one time when I was playing in a covers band that was made up mostly of drunkards. although I really used to enjoy the gigs.

Experience of playng with the same people for a while helps you to cover both your own and other peoples cock ups, Personally I get as much of a kick from getting out of trouble as I do from playing a number perfectly. As has been said, the trik is to not let the audience know about it by giving each other dirty looks etc.
[/quote]

We all know this one;
http://youtu.be/SVoEb5Rm5eo

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1354275494' post='1884300']
I guess in a three-piece (guitar/bass/drums) combo mistakes could potentially be more noticeable? Maybe.
[/quote]

I'd say very definitely. Like most people on here I go to see a lot of live music and generally spend a lot of time listening to the bassists. I rarely notice mistakes. Recently I went to see a ZZ Top tribute band called ZZ Tops and their bassist made enough mistakes to be noticed. Couple of shockers - one particularly so, last note of the song was way out, where 'Billy' looked across at him. Largely, I would say, because of the cheap sunglasses - you could tell from the way he stood that he was sneaking a look from under his shades at what he was doing. Then again, overall they didn't cut the mustard IMO.

I make several mistakes each time I pick up a bass, but then I am not a pro. I don't practice 8hrs a day 7 days a week. Maybe my expectations are too high but I always hope people who earned their living playing the bass made fewer and less noticeable mistakes. Usually I am not disappointed :)

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1354356541' post='1885071']
We all know this one;
[media]http://youtu.be/SVoEb5Rm5eo[/media]
[/quote]

Yes the guitarist is truly horrible, but IMO the rest of the band are just as bad by firstly letting this numpty get up on stage with them and secondly by behaving in a way that leaves the audience in no doubt that things did not go as planned during the performance.

2-3 per gig I would say, me and the guitard do a bit of a count during the gig and its usually fairly even. Made only one last night and tried to BS him that it was a passing note, he's as good a bassist as me so that didn't work!
Singist missed a verse near the end of the gig and I congratulated her on realising that we were running out of time. Silly girl said it was a mistake and when I pointed out that she could have covered herself with a bit of BS she was gutted.

Oh dear, oh deary me! Saturday we did our first gig in months. We were given it at short notice so only had one short rehearsal with no real clangers. Then came Saturday....I would admit how many but I don't have enough fingers to count up. I made enough bloopers for everybody, no show stoppers but all the same. All I can say is it is just as well I own the band van.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1354357343' post='1885085'] Yes the guitarist is truly horrible, but IMO the rest of the band are just as bad by firstly letting this numpty get up on stage with them and secondly by behaving in a way that leaves the audience in no doubt that things did not go as planned during the performance. [/quote]

Haha, true, but I think there's some history there too - 'yeh, I'll have it ready for the gig' during an equally useless rehearsal etc.

I'd have raised my eyebrow anyway.

More than I used to. I'm making a concerted effort to increase the amount of singing I do, including doing lead vocals on a couple of numbers. The effort of trying to sing and play has led to more 'misfingerings'. It's annoying, but hopefully worth it in the long run.

I used to work as a van controller with a fearsome looking bloke in his fifties who was an ex bare knuckle boxer.
It got incredibly busy on my shift and I made a horrendous cock up in my second week on the job. When he came in to take over from me I spilled the beans from the safety of the other side of the office. He walked menacingly towards me and when he was practically nose to nose smiled at me and said "Don't worry son. The only ****s that never make mistakes are the ****s who do **** all." I've always remembered that.

A couple of minor ones every so often. My excuse is that they happen as I'm leading a 7 piece band and whenever we get a new drummer (we do seem to be going through a Spinal Tap situation at the moment) I'm trying to listen to everyone and sometimes forget myself.
Oh, to turn up as just the bass player and just play.

Saying that, a couple of gigs ago, I did a complete blank on one song as if I've never heard it before. Totally lost from my short term memory.
J

I've always said if I play and a gig and don't make the odd mistake I'm not trying hard enough :) never been one for learning bass lines note for note but like to react to what is going on around me and compliment where I can, echoing a cool guitar lick or drum fill when I know where they're going. By the time I realise I've hit a duff note I'm already past it so grin like a cheshire cat and carry on!