Why become a member? ×

How many mistakes per gig do you make?

The Dark Lord

I was just reading this topic

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/192864-any-tips-on-how-to-remember-your-songs/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

.... which got me thinking. I play the usual two hour-two set pub / club gig in a guitar/bass/drums three piece, and make the odd mistake here or there.

It's a long time since I made a right gaff and can't say I've ever made a song-stopper of a mistake. There are an awful lot of notes to remember - and we often add one or two new songs per set. So I can forgive myself.

I'd say I average two or three minor mistakes per gig .... usually down to forgetting what bit comes next but remembering and recovering half a note into the mistake. I suspect the audience doesn't even notice.

Is this a common average?

Edited by The Dark Lord

I'd say that's fair. Nothing major, maybe only I notice considering I've been greeted with blank faces when I apologise to the rest of the band in the post gig discussions.

What I need to work on is the poker face. It's getting better, but I still haven't perfected it - I can still feel the odd half grimace flash across my face when I make a mistake.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1354009536' post='1880630']
If you are counting your mistakes at a gig then you are not concentrating on the music, or listening to the others in the band. :P
[/quote]

Get away with you sir. :gas: That doesn't make sense, if you think about it. You can only concentrate on things that are happening in the present. Mistakes are instantly in the past - so they can't cloud your concentration. And we are all allowed to have a memory.

Yes usually I will make one or two minor gaffes, and like Colite says it usually when I'm not concentrating on the music. I play in a few bands and sometimes it all blurs into one, mid way through set 2 is the usual time for me to switch off a bit until there's some kind of dischord. Luckily I usually have fast reactions and a crisis can be overted before half the band has even noticed...

If there was a James Brown style policy of being fined for mistakes though I'd probably concentrate more! That's why he had the best backing band on the planet!

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1354009865' post='1880642']
Get away with you sir. :gas: That doesn't make sense, if you think about it. You can only concentrate on things that are happening in the present. Mistakes are instantly in the past - so they can't cloud your concentration. And we are all allowed to have a memory.
[/quote]

Mistakes may not be able to cloud your past concentration, but they can certainly affect your present and future concentration while you're worrying about that mistake that's now firmly established in the past. ;)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1354010884' post='1880666']
Mistakes may not be able to cloud your past concentration, but they can certainly affect your present and future concentration while you're worrying about that mistake that's now firmly established in the past. ;)
[/quote]

+1.

I probably make a few, but none so bad that they would stop the song. I don`t count them, and don`t beat myself up over them either. I`m sure the audience would prefer to see a band of musicians performing and looking like they`re having fun than a band who concentrate so much on playing they have no interaction with the audience.

A fair few minor ones that are easily corrected and (probably) not noticed by anyone...

Most fun (during rehearsals) is when there's a stop in a song which everyone except one forgets. Making the correct person sound wrong, followed by dirty looks from them and "We, er, decided to do it a bit different that time. Er, didn't you catch on?" from the rest... (Then followed by: "From the top, and we'll get it right this time.")

in my band we all make mistakes, hopefully not at the same time, the guitard's the worse cause he doesn't practice enough and drinks to much, in the last 2 gigs the worse ones were when the singer forgot to sing the last verse in Tommy Gun so the rest of us didn't know whether to go into the outro or not so we just sort of stopped and the guitard had no volume at the start of the set after I'd said everybody "ready and turned on". But guess what? the crowd loved it had a laugh at our expense and enjoyed the gigs, so we keep getting away with it, some people actually say it makes the gig more 'live'

There's no such thing as bum notes; just poor choices.

Of course I make mistakes, like last week when I was mesmerised by the skinny girl with the "spayed on" black leather pants. The number she started dancing in just went to pieces!! Anyway, bad notes are fine if they are wiped out by the good ones

When I went to the Victor Wooten clinic a couple of years ago he said he made lots of mistakes (even I could hear some of them) but that didn’t matter. It was how you got out of them that made the difference.