Why become a member? ×

Moving set of strings from one bass,&put on another

The feel and tone of different makes of flats is remarkable and I would be disappointed if I only tried TIs and Chromes.
I have some rounds that I try occasionally, but I still don't 'get' them :)

Some strings sound poor on some basses and perfect on others - it's very nice when you find the right match.

Edited by redstriper

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1353516300' post='1875519']
Actually its the feel I go for rather than the tone, that's why i keep taking them off. I really dont get flats although i enjoy playing them if that makes sense.
[/quote]
Try the Fender 9050CL 45-60-80-105 flats set. Feel and tone. They converted me from rounds.

Edited by iiipopes

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1353633160' post='1876911']
Try the Fender 9050CL 45-60-80-105 flats set. Feel and tone. They converted me from rounds.
[/quote]

+1!

I try others occasionally and at the moment have some Rotosound flats on one of my basses but nothing beats the Fender flats for me - perfect tension and feel.

Have done it loads of times. The only problematic part is getting the curly end of the string straight to get back through the bridge hole and sometimes after changing a number of times end of the string will have enough of it and snap.
If you have a bridge where the strings drop in rather than go through a hole then it can be done endlessly.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1353503520' post='1875265']
I used to play only headless, so that wasn't an issue. I was worried about the way the string wraps around the machine head .
Cheers
[/quote]

You should always be concerned about how a string winds... and if you are careful, you should be able to swap out quite a few times.
If you clean up strings you'll probably have come across this issue...
and have had a few strings give way on you thru fatigue.

I normally find strings are past their useful life after 4-5 cleans and rewinds...
Fatigue and gunk gets deep into them and the thicker strings can't/don't clean up to be useable..so I bin them

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1353633160' post='1876911']
[/quote]

+1

I didn't need converting to flats, but these are great strings (imho)

Hello Ray,

I have done this a few times and it can affect the wrapping at machine head part if the distance from peg to nut is different. Tone isn't affected but you're likely to notice a kink from the previous bending point, either around the peg or in between the nut and the peg.

The main 'problem' for me has been, as a Swing Bass '66 user, it disturbs the silk winding, rendering it a bit unsightly as the string is fed through another bridge. This is only an aesthetic issue, and a minor one.

Cheers.

[quote name='WarrenD' timestamp='1355314126' post='1896725']
Hello Ray,

I have done this a few times and it can affect the wrapping at machine head part if the distance from peg to nut is different. Tone isn't affected but you're likely to notice a kink from the previous bending point, either around the peg or in between the nut and the peg.

The main 'problem' for me has been, as a Swing Bass '66 user, it disturbs the silk winding, rendering it a bit unsightly as the string is fed through another bridge. This is only an aesthetic issue, and a minor one.

Cheers.
[/quote]

+1 on it ruining roto silks.

I managed two switches with a set of 66's nickels (45 - 105). On the third swap the D string IIRC snapped at the tuning peg. Daignosis: Two basses with different diameter tuning pegs . . . all that winding and unwinding through the bridges results in metal fatigue. I'm impressed they stood up to that and a few months playing. They is some well made strings!

The silk on the chromes seems to be a little hardier than the roto silks - but I haven't given them enough abuse to really compare.