Why become a member? ×

Fretless for rock?

Guest MoJo

With one or two exceptions, it would appear that the fretless bass is used mainly for jazz, fusion and Japan tribute bands. Since picking up mdc's fretless BB405, I have found I've adapted to it very well and love the different tone to it's fretted sister. I am giving serious consideration to taking it to rehearsal with my rock covers band next week. Does anyone else use a fretless for rock?

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1353364800' post='1874357']
Does anyone else use a fretless for rock?
[/quote]

Les Claypool,Steve DiGeorgio,Steve Bailey,Jeff Ament,Bryan Beller,Jack Bruce,Tony Franklin,
Sting,Juan Alderete,Colin Edwin..................

I've tried to on a few occasions, with a fretless Warwick Streamer Jazzman and a mongrel Fretless P, but I felt they both lacked the attack of a fretted bass and got lost in the mix, so I went back to fretted after a while - definately prefer fretted (I switched the neck on the P eventually and enjoyed it again). All depends on if you and the band like the sound for your music though at the end of the day.

I do like Juan Alderete's use of fretless in louder stuff, though, I think because he has a sound where the low mids are providing a lot of the punch and the band mix allows for it. In my bands I've always relied on a bit of fret noise to cut through.

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1353366952' post='1874402']
I've tried to on a few occasions, with a fretless Warwick Streamer Jazzman and a mongrel Fretless P, but I felt they both lacked the attack of a fretted bass and got lost in the mix, so I went back to fretted after a while -
[/quote]

This is one of my concerns

Steve DiGiorgio would like a word with you on fretless not cutting through.
He's made an entire career playing in extreme metal bands with a fretless bass. Used to use Carvin and a custom ESP F-series fretless 5's but these days uses Mjolnir 5 and 6-string Thor Basses.
The album "Individual Thought Patterns" by Death demonstrates great fretless play and that was a crappy copy he slapped a Fender neck on.

Failing that, give Marco Cortes a call, he has a system called "fret groove" which gives a fretted / fretless hybrid sound by use of brass plates countersunk flush into the board.

Me personally, I also use fretless in rock and metal. 6-string fretless in a progressive band and a 5-string fretless in a death metal band.
Works a treat. Cutting through is, once again, about EQ to me...And they way you attack I guess. :-P

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1353366952' post='1874402']
I've tried to on a few occasions, with a fretless Warwick Streamer Jazzman and a mongrel Fretless P, but I felt they both lacked the attack of a fretted bass and got lost in the mix[/quote]

I agree. Fretless is fine, if it is placed sympathetically in the mix, not fighting for space with everything else!

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1353582616' post='1876234']
I could be mistaken, but isn't 'Oliver's Army' played on a fretless? It certainly sounds like it on the bridge.

As for being 'lost in the mix', I've never had that problem. Is there any particular reason that not having frets would mean you'd be 'lost in the mix'?

Dan
[/quote]

The subtle tones of a fretless would be lost in the AC/DC mix! It is a fact of life that if your bass player is a "star player" he never gets lost in the mix! Its a cruel world!

Edited by mentalextra

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1353591218' post='1876352']
The subtle tones of a fretless would be lost in the AC/DC mix! It is a fact of life that if your bass player is a "star player" he never gets lost in the mix! Its a cruel world!
[/quote]
Well, I've never been lost in the mix, does that make me a star player?! Yes! :D

I'd love to hear some AD/DC on a fretless!

Dan

Obscura..

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdiZS707aPs"]https://www.youtube....h?v=xdiZS707aPs[/url]

Especially this one..

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYZLp1jhpHI&feature=relmfu"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYZLp1jhpHI&feature=relmfu[/url]

Edited by Dandelion