Why become a member? ×

Fretless for rock?

Guest MoJo

What an interesting turn of events in this thread.Thanks, guys.

While Sean Malone has been a hero of mine ever since Cynic's "Focus" came out, I had no idea about Steve DiGorgio. Also had no idea about fretlesses being used. Thought Sean played a Warr or maybe a Stick.

You're gonna cost me money again, demmit.

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1353756824' post='1878109']
What an interesting turn of events in this thread.Thanks, guys.

While Sean Malone has been a hero of mine ever since Cynic's "Focus" came out, I had no idea about Steve DiGorgio. Also had no idea about fretlesses being used. Thought Sean played a Warr or maybe a Stick.

You're gonna cost me money again, demmit.

best,
bert
[/quote]

Sean Malone does also use Chapman Sticks, 12-string Grand Stick to be precise, so yes, you will need to shed out some more sterling.
I'm kinds surprised, but then not that people don't realise DiGiorgio uses fretless basses. He has done so since 1993. Figured it suited him more and also provided something new. Very few dare to use fretless in metal, even fewer succeed. Either they cannot intonate under such conditions where rapid speed licks mean having frets can be a welcome crutch, or they fall prey to what many here have done so; failed to cut through.

In all honesty though, I don't feel there's enough respect or care for them around here, so I'm more than willing to spread knowledge of them.
DiGiorgio is also mainly a session metal bassist, so he's very busy a lot of the time, having a lot of fun I'll bet.
Not quite as outspoken in the metal scene as Webster is, although he does speak his mind a lot more directly when asked.
He's as big an influence of mine as the rest of them. If I could find the right bass, I'd convert to fretless fully for sure...But until I get one that feels AND sounds how I want...I won't do.
Have thought about following in his footsteps as I already play F-series basses, purely because a friend recommended one to me...But I'm none to fond of blatantly copying. Still, a fretless F-series may be the answer.

Here's another song few know DiGiorgio dabbled in. Again, on a fretless, of course.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQxBvDZauwk[/media]

And here's a take of the intro in the studio, as you can see, using a full blown, custom fretless ESP F-series...That Forest Green colour is beautiful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZWMGIF3b-c

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='merlin' timestamp='1353696751' post='1877658']
going to use my 5 string fretless next gig as main bass,bet they( drummer guitard) wont even notice,I find at the lowish volume we play at the fretless is great,. :P
[/quote]
Just had first rehearsal,with fretless bass no one noticed.
:huh: