Why become a member? ×

Larry On Jools

KevB

Sorry if this has been posted already. Couldn't help but chuckle at that microphone Larry Graham was using on Later Live. Why not just go the whole hog and have one on a headband? It couldn't look any sillier surely :lol:

Edited by KevB

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1352991697' post='1870257']
He's had those gooseneck mics going on for ages. Apparently he breaks them all the time.
[/quote]

I assumed it was some sort of 'trademark' look he's adopted but he doesn't play stuff I'm particularly interested in so haven't seen much footage.

Just watched it on youtube out of curiosity.
I did think it looked a bit silly at first .. but soon forgot about that because I thought he was brill. As was the whole band. Much better than a lot of the stuff you get on Jools.
I'm not much of a soul fan so hitherto knew nothing about LG .. so thanks for posting Kev!! :)

Although I have listened to LG before many times that's the first time I've seen him play. How very different his style of slapping and popping seems to be in execution. Although he is the guy credited with 'inventing' the style, I've never seen anyone else play using that slap technique, or seen it discussed in magazines. It looked very different to what is regarded as standard slap technique (well to me at least). Didn't lessen my enjoyment however.

Oh and yes the goose neck seemed silly and appeared to be held on with tape. Looked ridiculously inefficient and somewhat pointless.

Just watched it - thought LG band was great, only thing on the show that made me listen.
(As a bit of an old git I like music that's fun and infectious, which seemed to be lacking with the other acts featured.)
Don't know a lot about LG, although remember buying his version of 'Feel the need in me' in the
70's before realising the Sly connection. Could definitely hear the influence on Prince too!

Honestly, respect to the guy, and I love a bit of tasteful slap, but that was awful.

Ridiculous mic, poor vocals, and the bass was typically scooped.

I watched it with the Mrs and she said straight away 'all I can hear is high end pingy noises...the rest is lost'.

He is the man for slap I guess, but I don't like how the slap was forced into bridges etc.

Much prefer Flea...sorry.

If the slap sounded weird then it's the TV mix, not Larry himself, live you can hear him just fine believe me! His voice is epically deep and powerful too, actually rumbles your bones through a sound system that's capable of reproducing it.
I don't get what's wrong with the gooseneck - he can't use a fixed stand mic unless he stays still, which he never does, and he can't use a headset mic without losing the ability to use mic technique. His voice doesn't exactly make you think 'Madonna' after all...

I saw him at Koko/London couple of years ago. I noticed then he was able to use the mic like a proper singer would. That is, move away from the mic when shouting and closing the gap on quiter moments. I don't think he could achieve the same effect with a mic strapped to his head, as the distance would be constant. As for having a mic stand, then it would prevent him from jumping around the stage. So, I think he got the best solution here.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1353113502' post='1871875']
Am I allowed to comment on the poor singing technique of the young girl in the white top (Ellie Goulding)
[/quote]

I'm told she's quite popular with young people. B)

LG's closing set on the Friday show was great. Very infectious. He got da funk.

Firstly, was brilliant to see him on mainstream UK tv.

Secondly, was nice to see Larry with the Moon as opposed to the Warwick.

Would love to see an LG Fender Signiture Jazz, due to his historical connection with the brand. And a left handed one at that. Sans goose neck mic.