Why become a member? ×

5 string gas,is there any going back?

clashcityrocker

Hi there

I swapped from 4 to 5 years ago, and didn't even touch a 4 string until I bought my '70 fretless P bass a couple of years back. It's a cliche, but it really felt like coming "home".

I now alternate between that and my fretless 5 on a regular basis, as both basses are so great I have trouble choosing between them. I think it's actually more important to connect with the instrument than how many strings it has. The low B is useful, no doubt, but it isn't a deal breaker for me.

Cheers

Gareth

I routinely swop.

I play a 5 in my covers band because there are several songs where we've dropped the key and it doesn't sound right (to me, anyway) to jump up an octave at inappropriate moments.

In my other musical projects and occasional dep gigs I always play a four.

I won't deny that swopping can lead to momentary confusion if I'm not concentrating properly (coming in on a G when it's supposed to be a C, for example) but that's my fault - not the bass!

When you’re gigging you have to be as good as you can be, and you do that by being comfortable with the instrument you’re playing.

I'd never say never, but as I've been using 5 strings for over 20 years and don’t feel good on a 4 anymore, I don't swap around.

I’d just be causing myself grief by switching between 5’s and 4’s, and anyway you can play everything on a 5 that can be played on a 4.

For me no.

I've been playing 5-string basses since I bought my first one back in 1989. 10 years ago when I started getting into playing fretless, I went through a phase where all my fretted bass parts were played on a 5-string and all my fretless ones on a 4-string. However since I got my Sei 5-string fretless I haven't played any 4-string basses at all. Consequently I'm in the process of selling most of them.

I can't see myself ever going back to 4-string basses.

I can't seem to swap. Started on 4's but went 5 many years ago. I totally couldn't relate to 4's any more.

Now, after many years I have gone back to a 4 and it feels so good can't believe it. Absolutely feels like home and has re-energised my playing beyond belief. After 2 weeks I just couldn't seem to remember how to play a 5 any more! I think I'm gonna sell my fabulous 5 string.

This is all personal taste, choice and the sort of music you play. Or you can call it natural curiosity progression in your bass trade.
Some big bassists always go 4 string (Steve Harris), others are 5 string full time.
Personally I think when I play the low notes sparingly and as extra features of the music rather than the normal it adds more to it. Again, just personal taste on my part; it doesn't mean I dont like listening to someone else moshing away all day on a low D.
I flip between 4 and 5 depending on what I am playing but it took me a while to get my head around the B string being there and tripped over a few bum notes when whatever part of my head was learning to deal with - multi string dexterity I'll call it. It bugged me quite a bit at times but if you persevere and get through it it's nice to be able to alternate without missing a beat / or note for that matter.
I find it's most beneficial when someone hands you a music sheet and it's got a lot of E flat in it. Good not to have to retune to have a low option.
Personally - I think Dingwall are the best 5 string basses. Pricey, but if you can stretch to it they are worth a try.
Enjoy. B)

Edited by bassman344

Funnily enough, I've been in the exact same situation as the OP. I had a desire to dabble in the world of 5-strings, and bought a nice cheap SUB Ray5 a few months ago. Since then, I've been using the 5 string exclusively for practicing and gigging...

...until last night. I went back to my beloved Status. I ultimately realised that I wasn't getting enough of a benefit from the lower B-string to justify the hardships that I was suffering - i.e. wasting all that time I'd invested in getting comfortable playing my Status. But I'd never have found that out unless I'd bought a 5-string in the first place.

So my advice is give it a go. I could probably do you a good deal on a good-as-new 5-string Black SUB Ray5 ;)

[quote name='M-Bass-M' timestamp='1352465848' post='1863426']
Funnily enough, I've been in the exact same situation as the OP. I had a desire to dabble in the world of 5-strings, and bought a nice cheap SUB Ray5 a few months ago. Since then, I've been using the 5 string exclusively for practicing and gigging...

...until last night. I went back to my beloved Status. I ultimately realised that I wasn't getting enough of a benefit from the lower B-string to justify the hardships that I was suffering - i.e. wasting all that time I'd invested in getting comfortable playing my Status. But I'd never have found that out unless I'd bought a 5-string in the first place.

So my advice is give it a go. I could probably do you a good deal on a good-as-new 5-string Black SUB Ray5 ;)
[/quote]
Ha ha the sub 5 was my other option so pm if you feel you wanna sell anytime.
I think I gotta give it a go,as people have said its personal taste. One of the bands I play in is ska punk so good to really useful to get those deep reggae notes. If it don't work out can always flog it on,least I know I have a 4 string I absolutely love and feel so comfortable on. Thanks guys

Started on 4 then got a 5 and played that fairly exclusively. But then I went back to 4s only for a long time. Just this year I got a fretless 5 and as an extension of that recently picked a fretted 5. Live I'll stick to 5s in my current band situation, but if I was recording I'd probably use the 4 stringers.

Always played 4s, went to a five to save having to re-set-up a four for my current band who're down in C standard, actually finding the extra high notes without having to switch poisiton quite useful.

Would never get rid of my 4-string Precision though, as a 'plug-in-and-play' rock 'n' roll instrument it's hard to beat.

[quote name='M-Bass-M' timestamp='1352465848' post='1863426']
[/quote]

Stick me on the 'interested' list for that as well ;)

I mainly play 5's now (better change my username!), although I don't always need the low B in some of our songs its nice to have there in case I want to drop an octave. I am also going to try tuning E A D G C so replacing the low B with a top C string if I think I'm not using that low B enough I know for a fact the top C will be more useful to me.

I do keep a 4 string back mainly for recording and just to keep my eye (and hands) in with 4 strings.

[quote name='clashcityrocker' timestamp='1352480264' post='1863684']
Seems there is a trend emerging here.... So all you 5 string converts,any temptation for 6 string,as if one string made you convert surely 2 extra is the way forward?!
[/quote]

I don't need the high C. The left-hand positioning aspect of having a low B is handy because even if you rarely use the lower string it does help connect up passages and fills without knowing that you're about to run out of frets low down. The high C would be handy in the same kind of way but I don't consider it as important for what I do, so I'll probably always hold off from buying a 6 string. Aesthetically I might also feel like I'd crossed a line :P