Why become a member? ×

Partner -Gas Blockage?

Hobbayne

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1351485029' post='1851666']
Recently become single so as soon as I have some money i can start stockpiling :D
[/quote]

I did that too!

Two years later, we're back together again. She doesn't care that my collection at least doubled now that I've actually discovered she's way more important that collecting even more basses.

Hell, I'm even thinking about slimming the collection down, as I play my Corvette $$ almost exclusively now.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1351483689' post='1851665']
I have four Basses. I have a 5 string for standard tuning and a 4 string for Eb. I also have a second 5 string in standard and a second 4 string in Eb. Those second Basses are "back-up" Basses... I also have a full, 500W rig with a 4x10 and a 1x15, and a 500W PA rig... I haven't played live in over 18 years, infact not since before I met my wife...

I mentioned to my wife that I'd kind of like to sell one of the back-up basses and she was actually disappointed.
[/quote]

Maybe she wants you to get out there and play!

Mine has a strict one in one out policy now, I do have plenty of instruments though, and she bought the last one (Yamaha BB) for me!

She is very encouraging generally of my musical activities when the band I'm playing with is good, and very discouraging when the band is not so good - even if those are the ones that make the money! She hates the covers band I play with, refuses to come to any gigs and despises that I'm out of the house to play with them. But for the other bands I play for, she's always asking why don't we do more gigs?

I always show the missus when I buy stuff but often fudge the true cost.

"yeah babe, ESH are a no-name Chinese brand. Only got it cos it looks nice, £100 innit"

"Ampeg?! Dunno never heard of them before but it looks cool, eh? Only bought it cos it's got a purple light. £150 babe"

She also thinks that cables and effects come free with every purchase and are given away by shops.

Truckstop

[quote name='hollywoodrox' timestamp='1351469928' post='1851631']
Needing a bass for Eb tuning is a great excuse for a new one '. I have 2 bass's what excuse though to get a headless as well?
[/quote]

That's easy for me, I just pointed out that when we play on small stages it means I don't stick the head in Mrs Zero's ear. Evidence below...

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1351525515' post='1852164']
Maybe she wants you to get out there and play!
[/quote]
That's pretty much the truth. I have erm... issues that make it difficult, but I am now set up so that if an opportunity were to arise I would at least be ready gear wise.

She is a wonderful woman.

[quote name='Prosebass' timestamp='1351521758' post='1852090']
I expected this to be a topic on your partners digestion problems :shok:

I never have Bass Gas problems as I don't see any point in owning more than 2 basses at any one time.
Mrs Prosebass does however complain constantly about my general gas problems ;)
[/quote]aye. but you have the benefit of being a very skilled, if retired, luthier- so can not only build what you but also see through a lot of the GAS indusing guff we fall for. :)

I'm getting married next year and we had a convo about how in the last few years I've been lucky enough to own a fair few basses, and pretty much everything I want to try i have. (jd thumb being the only one i still want) I was talking to the wide-to-be about the fact. I've got it out my system and she seemed quite disapointed! mind you i dont see the need for lots of instruments personally- other folk I get why they do, and some have impecable taste (warwickhunt and stacker im looking at you.)
mind you. the best instruments get better once you have played them every week for 2-3 years...

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1351526391' post='1852182']
Mine has a strict one in one out policy now, I do have plenty of instruments though, and she bought the last one (Yamaha BB) for me!

She is very encouraging generally of my musical activities when the band I'm playing with is good, and very discouraging when the band is not so good - even if those are the ones that make the money! She hates the covers band I play with, refuses to come to any gigs and despises that I'm out of the house to play with them. But for the other bands I play for, she's always asking why don't we do more gigs?
[/quote]

Rare discernment. That lady is a keeper. :D

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1351525525' post='1852165']
Dunno, but my generic feeling is that, unless you're starving the family to buy gear, receiving anything more than a slight amount of GAS blockage (or nagging) by a partner implies you've got the wrong partner...
[/quote]

Spot on.

I may have previously mentioned a friend who has a steam traction engine, among other bits of old heavy machinery. Unsurprisingly, he has lots of friends who also own steam traction engines. One in particular recently got divorced when his wife issued a "steam engine or me" ultimatum - well, he had the steam engine before he got married so what did she expect? :lol:

Seriously, I really can't understand anyone wanting to change someone so much. Fair enough if you don't like [insert characteristic here] about someone, in which case why would you want to marry them in the first place. Very odd.

Bluejay has it dead right in my book.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1351542592' post='1852460']
Seriously, I really can't understand anyone wanting to change someone so much. Fair enough if you don't like [insert characteristic here] about someone, in which case why would you want to marry them in the first place. Very odd.

Bluejay has it dead right in my book.
[/quote]

Agree. A mate of mine got together with a girl, and at one band practice stated she had told him he no longer needed to be in a band as he now had her. Now seeing as they met at a venue where his band used to play, and she used to watch the band, I really can`t work that one out.

my wife is awesome. i have plenty of basses, amps, cabs, pa kit etc and she rarely grumbles. the main problem is that i like buying run down instruments and doing refinishes so i regularly have dismantled axes which smell of fresh nitro stinking and cluttering up the house. she'd be happier if i spent more money and bought stuff in a1 condition.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1351543671' post='1852478']
Agree. A mate of mine got together with a girl, and at one band practice stated she had told him he no longer needed to be in a band as he now had her. Now seeing as they met at a venue where his band used to play, and she used to watch the band, I really can`t work that one out.
[/quote]

The mind boggles. :o :sorry:

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1351543785' post='1852479']
my wife is awesome. i have plenty of basses, amps, cabs, pa kit etc and she rarely grumbles. the main problem is that i like buying run down instruments and doing refinishes so i regularly have dismantled axes which smell of fresh nitro stinking and cluttering up the house. she'd be happier if i spent more money and bought stuff in a1 condition.
[/quote]

Ha Ha , I love tinkering with my older stuff and I do a bit of cab building if the mood takes me , but the misses hates it , again she would rather me spend on clean and posh looking stuff , the sound or tonal quality doesn't really count with her , its how new it looks !!
The Mrs bought the guitar that got me back into playing some years ago , so I keep it for sentimental reasons ;) , and if I fancy some new kit I casually mention that maybe I should move it on so as not to upset her with an extra guitar , my collection will have a new addition by chrimbo , if Mr Spectors boys pull their fingers out :D

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1351526695' post='1852188']

That's easy for me, I just pointed out that when we play on small stages it means I don't stick the head in Mrs Zero's ear. Evidence below...

[/quote]awesome there is always some justification if one thinks hard enough

Edited by hollywoodrox

[quote name='StephenFerguson' timestamp='1351482483' post='1851663']
There is no excuse for owning a headless bass ;)
[/quote]

Stephen, you know I love you like a brother, but this ... !
The cricket bat is one of the coolest bass designs in the history of mankind. Fact.
Regular bodies with headless necks are another story, but I'm not gonna empty my stomach just to describe them.

best,
bert

I suppose I am one of the lucky ones..... I have my bass, hubby has his photography..... I don't bat an eyelid when he buys a new lens, or a new flashgun, and he doesn't bat an eyelid when I buy stuff too.

We have a deal, we share the bills in a joint bank account, but our wages go into personal accounts, so we buy what we want with whats left.

Neither of us smoke, we rarely go out on big nights out, we don't have children, so we have money we can have fun with.

He bought an expensive flashgun earlier in the month.... I'm considering an effects pedal board :P

My hubby rocks! His only complaint has been that there is no space for my amp and cabs (they are living in the hallway!), I mean most of his photography equipment is smaller than my bass stuff :lol:

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1351553472' post='1852673']

Stephen, you know I love you like a brother, but this ... !
The cricket bat is one of the coolest bass designs in the history of mankind. Fact.
Regular bodies with headless necks are another story, but I'm not gonna empty my stomach just to describe them.

best,
bert
[/quote]aww I particularly love the guitar shaped headless, my dream one would be white with black binding or some sort of custom graphics like tiger stripes, a Japanese theme or those Eddie van halen Frankenstein stripes, I see his son Wolfgang has this pattern on his new bass's.

My wife is perfectly understanding when it comes to buying new gear. She does give it a good "really, do you actually need it?" which is actually a good thing---its stopped me buying stuff that I am only buying on a whim. Its meant that I no longer buy stuff, let it get dusty, and then sell it again! On occasion she's even been known to say "are you sure you want to sell that? You used to rave about how good it was...don't feel like you have to sell it...".

We also have an understanding that I am saving up for a new bass (P, of some kind, once I work out which of the infinite variations I want) and so long as we can afford it it won't be a problem. :)

I like to think that Mrs Dingus is still at that stage where she gets up every morning and gives thanks to God that she has bought the winning ticket in the Love Lottery . She always knew from the beginning that she was opting for a decorative nancy boy rather than one of those "go out and do something useful like earn a proper living " kind of men and she understands that she has chosen good looks over practicality and accepts everything that goes along with that , including my delusional ideas about playing the bass. She would actually like me to buy more stuff ; just the other day I overheard her on the phone to a friend saying that she would " like a man with with bigger equipment". I am looking forward to her excited reaction when that 8x10 cabinet I have just ordered turns up!