Why become a member? ×

At what stage do you call yourself a bass player?

Blademan_98

[quote name='StephenFerguson' timestamp='1351033678' post='1846593']I know loads of "tech" players with theory coming out their arse that have not an ounce of feeling behind their playing, if you play bass then you are a bass player. I find that a player who feels the music and interprates the music with an honest and personal aproach will impart more to a piece of music than someone who is aware of the aceptable chromatic logic in the notes and chords in said peice.[/quote]

That's pretty much how I define musicality. I think guys like Lemmy and JJ Burnel who play with passion and have carved out their own sound are way more musical than interchangeable, flashy, speed typists. You know who they are.

Back to the main question. I'll consider myself a bass player after I gig for the first time. Right now I feel a bit of an impostor.

[quote name='Prunesquallor' timestamp='1351064271' post='1846711']
Back to the main question. I'll consider myself a bass player after I gig for the first time. Right now I feel a bit of an impostor.
[/quote]

That mattered a lot to me, too, and was one of the main drivers in getting into a gigging band.

If I claim that "[i]I'm a bass player, but I only play at home for my own pleasure[/i]" then that's me calling myself a bass player. If I get up on stage in front of an audience and play a bass, then it doesn't matter what I call myself, I [u]AM [/u]a bass player.

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1351064054' post='1846703']
As soon as you realise you'll never be any good at the guitar. That's when you become a bass player ;) ;) ;)

And just in case you missed it ;)
[/quote]

.... when all the other slots in the band are taken.... and there's some truth in that for me.... ;)

I was musing upon this while driving to work the other day. It suddenly occured to me that I now feel like a person who can play a musical instrument, rather than someone who is learning to play an instrument. (Bass being my only instrument).

I think one of the things that brought it home to me was that at band rehearsal last week we were trying to come up with a new song, and although we had some chords and a bass line no one could come up with a melody as such. So I just started doing something very simple based on arpeggios and the rest of the band liked it. I surprised myself that I was able to just think of it and play it then and there!

Difficult one really, as although I play both bass and guitar, I would describe myself as a bassist who can play guitar, and never a guitarist who can play bass.

When did I reach that distinction - probably only a few years ago. Why, well I joined a band and after I`d joined, both band and audience alike started to say that the band was much tighter now, and indeed, the guys in the band started to say that they realised they now needed to up their game now i was in the band. Which is funny, because i thought that now I was in the band, I`d better up my game.

So I suppose it was after receiving compliments along those lines that I reached the conclusion, bassist.

Still don`t know theory/scales etc - am sure I could be a lot better with this knowledge. Although, maybe I do know it, but am unaware of it?

Edited by Lozz196

When you can play well enough to keep the drummer in time....

I used to call myself a bassplayer when that was pretty much all I played, now I tend to think of myself as a musician whose main intrument happens to be the bass. I'm certainly not a virtuoso bassist and don't have any desire to be, but I've developed enough skills over the years to be able to handle most things.

Deveoping musical ideas for my band is my main focus these days, so for me it's all about the expression of musical ideas and bass is merely one tool for achieving that end. Other tools for me would include guitar, keys, percussion and a computer + cubase - I'm reasonably competent on guitar and can play keys well enough to get some basic ideas down. But I still probably enjoy playing bass the most... a good bass would be my 'desert island' item of choice.

I get up on stages,well the corner of a pub really and do the entertaining bit,I play the bass guitar,and have done for 35 years now,so perhaps I may be a bass player??Well after all these years when Im intoduced to people as a musician,they allready know I play bass,just from the way I look??? :gas: :mellow: :ph34r:

[quote name='merlin' timestamp='1351071487' post='1846837']
I get up on stages,well the corner of a pub really and do the entertaining bit,I play the bass guitar,and have done for 35 years now,so perhaps I may be a bass player??Well after all these years when Im intoduced to people as a musician,[b]they allready know I play bass,just from the way I look[/b]??? :gas: :mellow: :ph34r:
[/quote]

I get that as well. Strange isnt it ?

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1351027262' post='1846489']
I think you mean at what stage you can call yourself a 'bass player' i.e. someone who can play the bass to a certain level of competence. Personally I think it's a title that can only be bestowed upon you by others - like a knighthood. It can't be bestowed by someone on themselves.
[/quote]

Agree

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1351023754' post='1846428']
I am a bass, guitar and saxophone player.

I do one well, one poorly and one extremely badly. You are a bass player as soon as you start playing a bass. You are just a beginner. Ownership is not enough. The clue is in the verb 'play' and the noun 'bass'. If, in your life, you verb the noun. then you are, by default, a noun verber. If the verb is play and the noun bass, you area bass player. You may wish to add a caveat that gives greater detail (good, bad, professional, amateur etc) but you are in the gang!
[/quote]

I agree.

Unless you're american. I was irritated to be asked if I wanted to 'monetize' a video when I put it up on Youtube and participate in their 'monetization' scheme. In which case I'll be involved in the verbization of a noun.

Nothing to do with bass playing, just a grump at some grammar!

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1351023147' post='1846408']
Seeing posts by multi instument players, it got me to thinking.......

When do you consider yourself a player?

Personally, it is when I can play with my eyes shut.

I can do that on a guitar (electric or acoustic) and an electric bass.

How about you?
[/quote]

Well i play bass in a gigging band, so i cant see what else i need to do to qualify. Im definitely not a great bass player but im out gigging with my bass and holding down the low end, i'd say thats more qualified than the bedroom bass heroes who know everything there is to know yet never get the chance to show it off.

I started life as a guitar player and I picked up the bass 8yrs after. I would say I am equally skilled on guitar as I am on a bass, but I enjoy playing bass more and I get more work as a bass player. No one has offered me a guitar job for years, so if the hat fits...

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1351093277' post='1847264']
Well i play bass in a gigging band, so i cant see what else i need to do to qualify. Im definitely not a great bass player but im out gigging with my bass and holding down the low end, i'd say thats more qualified than the bedroom bass heroes who know everything there is to know yet never get the chance to show it off.
[/quote]

Yes, I too am in a gigging band.
It was after the moment of 'I reckon I could do this in a band' that I joined one :)

That is what I was asking. When did it happen?
When I stopped looking at my hands, I had the confidence to gig (and say I was a bass player).

I certainly did not just pick up a bass and think I was a player straight away!

Perhaps you and many others did, and that's great. Sadly I did not have that skill or confidence.

Well I considered myself a bass player before I got my first bass. I decided I wanted to play bass as it looked easier than guitar so I went and got one and I was then the bass player.
Of course I wasn't a good one, then and now, but from the moment I wanted to play bass I was a bass player.