Why become a member? ×

At what stage do you call yourself a bass player?

Blademan_98

Seeing posts by multi instument players, it got me to thinking.......

When do you consider yourself a player?

Personally, it is when I can play with my eyes shut.

I can do that on a guitar (electric or acoustic) and an electric bass.

I play a bit of keys and sometimes even write songs on one -
BUT I would never consider myself a keyboard player as I have to watch my hands all the time.

I also like to have a thrash on the drums but again I am no drummer :)

I still have a lot to learn and technically I may not be great, but I think thats just part of the journey.

How about you?

I am a bass, guitar and saxophone player.

I do one well, one poorly and one extremely badly. You are a bass player as soon as you start playing a bass. You are just a beginner. Ownership is not enough. The clue is in the verb 'play' and the noun 'bass'. If, in your life, you verb the noun. then you are, by default, a noun verber. If the verb is play and the noun bass, you area bass player. You may wish to add a caveat that gives greater detail (good, bad, professional, amateur etc) but you are in the gang!

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1351024227' post='1846434']
I'm a musician.... Bass is one of the instruments I use to perform/compose with
[/quote]

That's another interesting point.

I wouldn't say I was a musician because I don't know enough theory to substanciate that.

I think it has a lot to do with your personal outlook on the world.

I don't see myself as a player, the instruments are irrelevant. I try to play THROUGH the instrument, not ON it, that's when I know I'm truly expressing myself, but it's a rare thing. I look at the neck when I play most of the time, but that doesn't matter.

I suppose there are quality criteria, musicianship, craft, expression, finesse .. but these are highly subjective. If you can play what's in your head, then that is a test, but if what's in your head is not satisfying you, then there's another test.

It's a purely personal question and it's not really easy to answer. Someone may think I'm 'a player' or 'not a player', I know I would have to do an ENORMOUS amount of work to get to Jake Newman level, but I don't want to be at that level, I can do what is required of me to a good standard of technical execution and finesse and expression. What I require of myself is usually emotive rather than technical, I sometimes achieve that, most of the time laziness and conflicting priorities get in the way.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1351023754' post='1846428']
I am a bass, guitar and saxophone player.

I do one well, one poorly and one extremely badly. You are a bass player as soon as you start playing a bass. You are just a beginner. Ownership is not enough. The clue is in the verb 'play' and the noun 'bass'. If, in your life, you verb the noun. then you are, by default, a noun verber. If the verb is play and the noun bass, you area bass player. [b]You may wish to add a caveat that gives greater detail (good, bad, professional, amateur etc)[/b] but you are in the gang!
[/quote]

It was that part I was trying to get to without actually asking it :)

Most people, when pushed, are reserved about stating their skill level.

Therefore, when do you start saying you are a bass player or whatever instrument you feel you have made your own.

(It is - I feel at any rate - quite a personal thing that at some point you take possession and state 'I am a bass player!')

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1351025161' post='1846453']
It was that part I was trying to get to without actually asking it :)

Most people, when pushed, are reserved about stating their skill level.

Therefore, when do you start saying you are a bass player or whatever instrument you feel you have made your own.

[b](It is - I feel at any rate - quite a personal thing that at some point you take possession and state 'I am a bass player!')[/b]
[/quote]

I strongly disagree mate, I think the goal is create music that satisfies you and isn't too rancid. The instrument is irrelevant, it's a tool for creation, nothing more. A sculptor would never say he's a 'chiselist'.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1351025061' post='1846452']
I don't see myself as a player, the instruments are irrelevant. I try to play THROUGH the instrument, not ON it, that's when I know I'm truly expressing myself, but it's a rare thing. I look at the neck when I play most of the time, but that doesn't matter.

I suppose there are quality criteria, musicianship, craft, expression, finesse .. but these are highly subjective. If you can play what's in your head, then that is a test, but if what's in your head is not satisfying you, then there's another test.

It's a purely personal question and it's not really easy to answer. Someone may think I'm 'a player' or 'not a player', I know I would have to do an ENORMOUS amount of work to get to Jake Newman level, but I don't want to be at that level, I can do what is required of me to a good standard of technical execution and finesse and expression. What I require of myself is usually emotive rather than technical, I sometimes achieve that, most of the time laziness and conflicting priorities get in the way.
[/quote]

I think that makes you a musician rather than a player.

I struggle with the technical aspects and strive to be more competant.

You have seen me 'play' and know I just hack at it but it makes me happy and I feel confident enough to say I am a bass player.
Same with the guitar.

But the keyboard is a different matter and I rarely admit to anyone that I know where the notes are!

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1351025596' post='1846461']
I think that makes you a musician rather than a player.

I struggle with the technical aspects and strive to be more competant.

You have seen me 'play' and know I just hack at it but it makes me happy and I feel confident enough to say I am a bass player.
Same with the guitar.

But the keyboard is a different matter and I rarely admit to anyone that I know where the notes are!
[/quote]

We all struggle with the technicalities mate, it's endless, but the goal is to achieve your vision, and that could be any end of the technical scale.

I think you mean at what stage you can call yourself a 'bass player' i.e. someone who can play the bass to a certain level of competence. Personally I think it's a title that can only be bestowed upon you by others - like a knighthood. It can't be bestowed by someone on themselves.

I play some mandolin and guitar too but as bass has always been my main instrument I have always thought of myself as a bass player who happens to dabble (not too badly at times) on other instruments. Make of that what you will but playing simple 3 or 4 chord rock n roll I never used to call myself a musician. As time has gone on, I've got older and better I am more comfortable with the idea of rock guys being musicians. I suppose in days gone by I assumed you needed to read music to be a proper musician. Ultimately if I'm playing music I like with players I want to play with I don't really care what people call me.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1351029441' post='1846530']
I play a bass, people ask me to be in their bands, I must be a bass player :)
[/quote]
As far as I am concerned I am a ‘musician’ generally, but first and foremost I’m a bass player!

I play a little bit of classical guitar, for my own amusement and for family & friends, etc. However, I wouldn’t dream of playing classical guitar at a gig in front of an audience of strangers, whereas I regularly will with a bass!

I have grade 5 piano but I don't feel like I'm a piano player. I have grade 8 trumpet and a degree bas(s)ed upon that fact, but I never actually felt like a trumpet player. I can play the guitar well enough to be asked to be in bands and do sessions by other people but I don't consider myself a guitarist. What resonates with me, the instrument that I identify with and the musical role I fulfil, is the bass. You're a bass player when you feel like one, when you identify with the job you're doing and the difference you make in that musical situation.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1351027262' post='1846489']
I think you mean at what stage you can call yourself a 'bass player' i.e. someone who can play the bass to a certain level of competence. Personally I think it's a title that can only be bestowed upon you by others - like a knighthood. It can't be bestowed by someone on themselves.
[/quote]
That's a very clear headed bit of thinking. I think that's perfect. I like it!

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1351027262' post='1846489']
[/quote]
+1.

since then I have to fight to be accepted as a guitar player, even as I have done it for 30 years now. ;)

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1351025061' post='1846452']

[/quote] This statement sums my philosophy up to a T. I know loads of "tech" players with theory coming out their arse that have not an ounce of feeling behind their playing, if you play bass then you are a bass player. I find that a player who feels the music and interprates the music with an honest and personal aproach will impart more to a piece of music than someone who is aware of the aceptable chromatic logic in the notes and chords in said peice. Forgive the spelling.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1351033786' post='1846595']
It's the day you invest yourself into properly learning your instrument, you don't have to be a competent player, just a passionate one!
[/quote]
no.
it's the day you really do it....I mean play bass... :blush: ;)

Edited by krysh

I'm referred to as a "bass player" because I get called on to dep for a few bands that call me that and offer a fee

I'm currently the "bass player" in a local project that has only done 5 charity gigs and 1 corporate function in 3 years

The term says nothing about my level of ability, which I assume is not relevant if I can competently play the parts required

The term also says nothing about my ability or lack of to compose or play other instruments, just simply is the title other people refer to as my role in the above situations

Edited by lojo