Why become a member? ×

My Top Ten Most Played Songs by Pub & Function 'Covers' Bands.

thebrig

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1350643512' post='1841588']
Admittedly, they [u]were[/u], and still [u]are[/u] great songs, but do WE still want to keep playing them, and perhaps more importantly, do the PUNTERS still want to keep hearing them?
[/quote]
Apologies for the hijack/rant, but...

It constantly surprises me how dissmissive some of the posts are about cover bands, the numbers they might play and the enthusiasm (or otherwise) with which we deign to grace them with our (collectively no doubt prodigous) talent.

I personally think that a covers band needs to play a set which satisfies the various needs/tastes/whims in the following in order:
1 - Pub Landlord/lady (assuming he/she knows their punters)
2 - Punters
3 - Band

Our last opening set was this:

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Morning Glory - Oasis[/color][/font][/size][color=#000000][font=Tahoma][size=1]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Molly's Lips - Nirvana/Vaselines[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma][size=1]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Vertigo - U2[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma][size=1]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Alive - Pearl Jam[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma][size=1]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Use Somebody - Kings of Leon[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma][size=1]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Feel Like Making Love - Bad Company[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma][size=1]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Alright Now - Free[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma][size=1]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Where the Streets have no Name - U2[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma][size=1]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hammer to Fall - Queen[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma][size=1]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]About a Girl - Nirvana[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma][size=1]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Knocking on Heaven's Door - G 'n' R[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color]

Corny? Tired? Cliched? Sh*t? Probably all of the above to some, but the fact is we're booked up until this time next year playing stuff like this in pubs, so I guess there's an appetite for it. :D

Back on topic, we regularly play 'Alright Now' and 'Sex On Fire' from the 10 thebrig listed. Inevitably there are times when I'd rather be playing something else or at least there's an element of 'going through the motions' but I've never seen them clear a pub. I'm happy to play them because I'm out gigging.

Interesting thing regarding Mustang Sally.....So many bands and musicians find it cliche and think that
every band plays it,which in turn means that few bands actually do anymore. I'd never played it at all
until about 2 years ago,and still only play it occasionally.

We do 'songs' so they have a tune and we like them..and they fit in with the style we want to give the song
and the overall band sound.
People book us for functions or parties because they like what we do... and we will make it danceable enough
to cover a few basses.

Altho we like function/party type money we don't consider ourselves a function outfit...unless you like Talking Heads, Doors and Elbow.
We might throw in a Killers track .................... there you go :lol:

We used to play the tried and tested numbers like Mustang sally, knocking on heavens door all that kind of thing. But I got totally fed up wit it all and wanted to play covers that other bands just don't seem to do round here. The keyboard player said no I will only play whats in my book....so it was a good bye to him and we sacked the drummer because he was crap and a numpty to boot.
So new line up and a fresh start and although still playing covers its now things like Echo Beach, Baggy Trousers. And so far its going really well.

Its nice to find other band members thinking along the same lines.

And to satisfy that LL.... his faves are L.A Woman and anything by the Counting Crows..??

That messes the 80's bands right up...:lol: but he will still book them if they are a draw.
I honestly think pub LL's are more adventurous than the bands that play the circuit...as are some party planners.

80's and Soul Revue/BB's bands are two a penny round here..... plus of course, Blues outfits..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1350650608' post='1841760']

was going to say that most of those songs are 20 years old ..at least
[/quote]
None of these in the function list. Yet. Just saying that these are almost always on the set lists roud here. At least in the sub gigs I do and the typical bands I see around.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1350643512' post='1841588']
Don't know whether this has been done before, but here are the songs I hear most when I go and see a live 'covers' band.

Admittedly, they [u]were[/u], and still [u]are[/u] great songs, but do WE still want to keep playing them, and perhaps more importantly, do the PUNTERS still want to keep hearing them?

It would be interesting to see what songs you guys/gals come up with, and to hear your thoughts on playing the same old songs over and over again.

1. Mustang Sally
2. Brown Sugar
3. All Right Now
4. Born To Be Wild
5. Black Night
6. Sex On Fire
7. Brown Eyed Girl
8. Honky Tonk Woman
9. Maggie May
10. Can't Get Enough

none of these

[/quote]
[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1350643656' post='1841593']
Teenage Kicks
500 Miles
Whole lotta Rosie
[/quote]

all of these

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1350655655' post='1841871']
None of these in the function list. Yet. Just saying that these are almost always on the set lists roud here. At least in the sub gigs I do and the typical bands I see around.
[/quote]

And I would say that is why the pub scene might be on its ar$e in some places...
I just think bands should make a bit more of the effort...and even though I think it is true that pub gigs are too much work for the money
that shouldn't be the reason for playing everyone elses set...
1 Rehearsal should get 4 -5 songs off... if you've done your home work, so we are saying a set of 22 songs should take 4 or 5 rehearsals.
So it wouldn't matter what songs you put the time into..you can have a gigging set up in 3 months or so.

I'm with the poster above... play certain songs and it is drink up time :lol:... having said that... if the band has some sort of connection or entertainment about them, then you don't mind as much.
I doubt you'll see many of their gigs tho...so from the point of view of return gigs...it would be a 'fail' for me...which has to be in the equation as well..??

Edited by JTUK

We do mustang sally, I know I know.........

Here's a setlist from a while back!

[color=#333333]sweet about me[/color]
[color=#333333]california dreamin[/color]
[color=#333333]isnt she lovely[/color]
[color=#333333]
when your gone
fly away
under the bridge
one i love
the wall
volcano
sweet child of mine
man who sold the world
cant stop
all right now
sweet home Alabama
free world
just dance

2nd half
hotel california
mustang sally
somebody i used to know
make it with chu
call me
californication
whiskey in the jar
zombie
dont forget me
i just wanna make love to you[/color]

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1350657432' post='1841902']
Here's the official top 50 cover songs based on the set lists of bands on North West Bands website.

[url="http://nwb.co/setlistchart"]http://nwb.co/setlistchart[/url]
[/quote]

Ha ha! I am in the South West, and have at one time or another played every single ****ing song on that list.
:)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1350656968' post='1841891']

And I would say that is why the pub scene might be on its ar$e in some places...
I just think bands should make a bit more of the effort...and even though I think it is true that pub gigs are too much work for the money
that shouldn't be the reason for playing everyone elses set...
1 Rehearsal should get 4 -5 songs off... if you've done your home work, so we are saying a set of 22 songs should take 4 or 5 rehearsals.
So it wouldn't matter what songs you put the time into..you can have a gigging set up in 2 months or so.

I'm with the poster above... play certain songs and it is drink up time :lol:... having said that... if the band has some sort of connection or entertainment about them, then you don't mind as much.
I doubt you'll see many of their gigs tho...so from the point of view of return gigs...it would be a 'fail' for me...which has to be in the equation as well..??
[/quote]

Indeed. We do 3 a week. We have to have 45 odd ready in 10 odd weeks( for Xmas gigsfor a new band that only got going in late sept). So we are working on 3 a week. One big rehearsal every month. And going to do a couple of songs fpr the first gig rehearsed. (eg rebel yell she sells sanctuary word up. Things that are easy)
Mind you. I'm known for being organised eyx and have all the tracks on a google drive along with guitar pro files and p d f s if them all etc.

I was in Newport, Rhode Island and NY last year, and all around there and into the Boston area, 80s synth/new romantic/new wave bands were doing great business in all the bars - which made a nice change from 2 years prior, when it was either really bad Stevie Ray wannabees or Bruce/Bon Jovi 'Joisey' bands. Some had made the effort to get all the right gear too : Yamaha DX7 keys, a Simmons kit and a fretless Ibanez musician, pointy guitars etc. plus suitably 80s haircuts and suits. Also, one had the best name I've ever seen for a 'genre tribute band' : seen on a poster in a bar in RI ; Ladies and Gentlemen .............................. 'A Flock of Assholes'..... genius!

[quote name='fender73' timestamp='1350660431' post='1841976']
My conclusion is that it's musicians that dislike the most covered tunes, cos we do about 60% of the OPs list and punters love them.
[/quote]

A cynic might comment , then , that if we want to respect of our peers we shouldn't do anything too popular or be too successful.

Funnily enough - it's yet another example of the 'art v craft' style debates we have around here.

Over to Bilbo then.... ! :D

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1350657432' post='1841902']
Here's the official top 50 cover songs based on the set lists of bands on North West Bands website.

[url="http://nwb.co/setlistchart"]http://nwb.co/setlistchart[/url]
[/quote]

I notice All right now or Alright Now appears at postions 29 and 25 :)

Glad to say - of the people who have put lists in this topic - my covers band plays [b][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][color=#FF0000]None of the above.[/color][/font][/b]

Especially that first "old rockers" set.

Although, we do play four of the songs in that North West Bandsite thing ...... one from the top 50 and three from the 50-100 list.

Phew.

One of the function/ covers bands I play in has a setlist of 80 or so songs which, if it's a 'big payer' like wedding or birthday, then the payer can choose what they want. We played an Irish wedding the other week, and were asked for 'some Trad Irish', so we added The Fields of Athenry, Rare Old Mountain Dew and a few others. The punters loved it, and we got more bookings on the night.

Some of the later lists are on our list, and there's no escaping the fact that punters, after a few beers, want to hear Sex On Fire and Mr Brightside. We try and include popular stuff which the majority of the audience will know, but maybe don't hear every week.