Why become a member? ×

My Top Ten Most Played Songs by Pub & Function 'Covers' Bands.

thebrig

We don't play any of them either, here's 10 that we do.
Babylons burning the Ruts
Shot by both sides Magazine
Top of the pops the rezillos
Another girl another planet the only ones
No more Heroes the Stranglers
Peaches the Stranglers
Neat neat neat the Damned
Smash it up the Damned
Blitzkreig bop the Ramones
Promises the Buzzcocks

Reading this topic has really made me appreciate how unique my covers band really is. Song choice is just as important as the performance, attention to recreating authentic sounds and overall talent of the band (vocalist obviously being the make or breaker). Yes it makes a massive difference as to if you enjoy playing the covers you play, as this heavily affects your personal performance. Luckily with the exception of Clocks by Coldplay I can really get into every song we play and 2 hours just fly by.

Ok list time: The most popular covers we do at present which never fail to get people moving are:

Twist and Shout,
Long Tall Sally,
Never Can Tell,
Sex Machine,
Le Freak,
Hey Ya,
Shook me all night long,
Jumping Jack Flash,
Don't You Forget About Me
Everybody Wants to Rule the World,
Stand By Me,
Paradise City/Welcome to the Jungle,
Whole Lotta Love,
You Got the Love,
Is This Love.

Then when we play:

Ramble on,
Communication Breakdown,
Immigrant Song,
Helter Skelter,
The Real Me,
Night Train,

People usually just stop and stare :D

On whole we have around 50 songs at the ready to chop and change sets depending on audience.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1350661662' post='1842003']
A cynic might comment , then , that if we want to respect of our peers we shouldn't do anything too popular or be too successful.

[/quote]

and a cynic might also say that 'Respect from our peers' doesn't pay the bills...

[size=4]Haven’t played any on the OP list for thirty years or more. Last gig set list was about ten of our own songs plus:

Hallelujah I Love Her So – Ray Charles
Vincent Black Lightning 1952 – Richard Thompson
Write Some Lines – Mississippi Fred McDowell
Ode to Billie Joe – Bobbie Gentry
These Boots Were Made For Walkin’ – Nancy Sinatra
Wagon Wheel – Old Crow Medicine Show
I’m Walkin’– Fats Domino
Green River – Creedence Clearwater
Tennessee Waltz – Patti Page
Way Down in the Hole – Tom Waits
Nobody Knows You – Bessie Smith
Walk Right In – Gus Cannon
It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry – Bob Dylan
Jump Sturdy – Dr John
Jambalaya – Hank Williams[/size]

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1350693307' post='1842493']
I'm just back from a Junkyard Dogs gig in Uxbridge where the band was actually [b]asked[/b] to play Mustang Sally (which wasn't in the setlist), and kindly obliged. The crowd danced and sang along.
[/quote]

... and they were asked to turn it up!

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1350643512' post='1841588']
Don't know whether this has been done before, but here are the songs I hear most when I go and see a live 'covers' band.

Admittedly, they [u]were[/u], and still [u]are[/u] great songs, but do WE still want to keep playing them, and perhaps more importantly, do the PUNTERS still want to keep hearing them?

It would be interesting to see what songs you guys/gals come up with, and to hear your thoughts on playing the same old songs over and over again.

1. Mustang Sally
2. Brown Sugar
3. All Right Now
4. Born To Be Wild
5. Black Night
6. Sex On Fire
7. Brown Eyed Girl
8. Honky Tonk Woman
9. Maggie May
10. Can't Get Enough
[/quote]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I haven't played a lot of covers over the years but to my eternal shame..............I [/font][/color][b]CAN[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] play and [/font][/color][b]HAVE[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] played [/font][/color][b]ALL[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] of those![/font][/color]

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1350651251' post='1841774']

We got hold of the Top 30 charts in a number of different Genres, ( Soul-Motown-Pop etc. etc.) as voted for by working DJ's at DJ Online and picked our set-lists from there.
One of the agencies we work for suggested this route and provided all the info. And Mustang Sally and Brown Eyed Girl etc. are on there.
[/quote].

Absolutely.

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1350690462' post='1842474']
The cliched setlist makes me shudder a little but not as much as the thought of seeing it played badly.
I can listen to anything if it's played well by decent musos.
sh*t played sh*t is a no-no. sh*t played well and I'm interested.
[/quote]

Sure, best way to approach it as you aren't going to control what bands play. of course.

If the band has something about them, then you'll stay, ....
But a chummy band playing a chummy set is not good.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1350643512' post='1841588']
Don't know whether this has been done before, but here are the songs I hear most when I go and see a live 'covers' band.

Admittedly, they [u]were[/u], and still [u]are[/u] great songs, but do WE still want to keep playing them, and perhaps more importantly, do the PUNTERS still want to keep hearing them?

It would be interesting to see what songs you guys/gals come up with, and to hear your thoughts on playing the same old songs over and over again.

1. Mustang Sally
2. Brown Sugar
3. All Right Now
4. Born To Be Wild
5. Black Night
6. Sex On Fire
7. Brown Eyed Girl
8. Honky Tonk Woman
9. Maggie May
10. Can't Get Enough
[/quote]

with the exception of 6, i wud say this list is for coffin dodgers only

I've only skim read this thread so someone may have said the same thing, but if I'm being paid I'll play whatever the person paying me wants - cheesy pop, root / 5th country, whatever.

Also, I have noticed songs I wouldn't normally listen to are much more fun when you're playing them.

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1350749162' post='1843042']

with the exception of 6, i wud say this list is for coffin dodgers only
[/quote]

Lol. Coffin dodgers? Anyone over 45?

We play all those. In fact loads of them get requested.

Next time you're in a pub with a jukebox listen to what the punters are choosing (and paying!) to put on.

Seems to be a lot of snobbery about what we're basically being employed to play.

They're basic standard tunes, compliment them with a bunch of others, but if someone asks for Oasis, just play it, it's just a bunch of notes, the crowd will thank you and come and see you again, the landlord will thank you and ask you back. You'll also get better gigs off the back of your pub performance.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1350757689' post='1843236']

Next time you're in a pub with a jukebox listen to what the punters are choosing (and paying!) to put on.
[/quote]

I guess it depends which pubs you go to, whether the punters are stuck 50, 40 or 'only' 30 years in the past :)

It's more about what tunes have become part of our musical heritage. What tunes do people like to sing along to.

Name one tune released this year that everyone knows the words to. Being reactive and playing tunes that are in the current chart is a good idea, but they're not played once they're out of the charts because they just haven't passed the test of time yet.

That and the charts are mainly aimed at 12 year old girls. Who generally don't go to pubs.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1350757689' post='1843236']

Seems to be a lot of snobbery about what we're basically being employed to play.

They're basic standard tunes, compliment them with a bunch of others, but if someone asks for Oasis, just play it, it's just a bunch of notes, the crowd will thank you and come and see you again, the landlord will thank you and ask you back. You'll also get better gigs off the back of your pub performance.
[/quote]
We go to the pub after most rehearsals. Last time we went in a local had put nessendormer on the jukebox. Can't see many bands doing that :P

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1350674810' post='1842276']
We don't play any of them either, here's 10 that we do.
Babylons burning the Ruts
Shot by both sides Magazine
Top of the pops the rezillos
Another girl another planet the only ones
No more Heroes the Stranglers
Peaches the Stranglers
Neat neat neat the Damned
Smash it up the Damned
Blitzkreig bop the Ramones
Promises the Buzzcocks
[/quote]+1 ha ha.Some of the above plus
,Be your Dog