Why become a member? ×

Shall I sweep the floor with my a*se whilst I play bass?

tonyclaret

As I'm between bands I'd probably do it if it was local. Make me learn material I wouldn't normally bother with, get to do 4 free practice sessions with other real musicians rather than sitting in my bedroom office doing it with a PC. Then I get to do a gig and actually get paid for it. If it's a crap band it's a one off gig which I still get paid for. Going to leave this thread alone now for fear of getting crushed by all the high horses milling about.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1350032491' post='1833669']
It seems that no one has bothered even checking the band out. If anyone bothers to check the link out.........[/quote]

If that was the case how do you imagine that anyone knew that they had a 4 piece horn section - or were an eight-piece band, it's not in the OP.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1350031576' post='1833639']
As always, I'd rather have someone tell me constructively than think it but nod and smile.
[/quote]

Understood, and I agree - I just thought that what some of the bandwagoners were saying about the quality of the band was not exactly constructive.....

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1350031883' post='1833652']I'd say a dep would need to be desperate to take up this offer, but then,as we found out in other threads, there are so many of us who would happily play for free that £50 would be like winning the Lottery.[/quote]

There's a difference between playing music you love for free and playing bad versions of songs like 'Valerie' for £50.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1350031883' post='1833652']
Maybe the band just likes rehearsing... but why would anyone want to be a dep for the dep and play with the band for 5 nights for £50?

I'd say a dep would need to be desperate to take up this offer, but then,as we found out in other threads, there are so many of us who would happily play for free that £50 would be like winning the Lottery.
[/quote]

I think it illustrates exatly why agreeing to play for free is a bad idea. As soon as one of your band drops out you have to find a dep. Their first call dep is not 'available'. So now they're struggling to find a pro dep because it's for only £50.

When our band wanted to do free gigs I always pointed this out to the rest of the band. If one of us drops out we're no longer playing for free, we're going to have to put our hands in our pockets for £30 each to pay the extra member, who hasn't rehearsed, won't be helping set up or pack down. Will just turn up and play, take the money, and go home....

I'm going to cross post this.

If you read their other blogs on North West Bands they managed to get a dep drummer AND a dep bass player for charity gig in September, with NO pay.

Good luck to them. Look like a band who honour their commitments. Even if it feels like "muso abuse" to some.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1350029575' post='1833613']
plus the one.

decaff anyone ?
[/quote]

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1350029248' post='1833604']
Wow - flame brigade! I'm surprised by the negativity on here - I wonder how many BC members would appreciate being told they're s**t when they post their little you tube vids.

Way I see it - it's probably linked to the "play for free thread".

They've made the ad, if you don't want it - ignore it. I'm not sure it warrants the pikes and burning torches.

Just my opinion of course.
[/quote]

plus one

there are plenty of vids on the show us you playing thread which wouldnt come up to this band's standard but many people offer polite criticism and advice and encouragement

why slag off bands like this?

not big. not clever.

just my cynical ill informed opinion you understand

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1350045265' post='1833936']
Any band that performs in public for money, or puts themselves up for scrutiny on t'internets, has to deal with negative comments.

If they can't handle it, they're in the wrong game.
[/quote]

I agree WoT, my point was why was the OP getting so worked up about it that he had to start a thread on here and write negative comments on their blog - and then have a load of others jump on and start saying they're s**t?

If I'm honest, I didn't think they were that great either on the clip I listened to, but I don't feel the need to decimate them for it. They put an offer - a link to what they sound like, so make your choice whether you're interested or not (I'm talking to everyone here WoT - not you direct).

I think it comes from my old arguments on here years ago with the likes of bass ferret - Youtube appears to be the place for downright nasty comments. I always get told on here that the forum is full of love and group hugs. I wonder if posters would be so blatant with their comments if this band's bass player was a BC member, posted a clip and said "what do you think guys?". I bet the responses would be "drummer isn't so tight" or "wasn't keen on the brass section arrangement", rather than "you're s**t".

If you want me to be really honest, I really get narked with bedroom players on here with loads of shiny kit that have never even played with a band slagging other band clips off. I'm not the greatest player , and I'm happy to admit it, because I make the choice to not spend hours practicing on my own. I get out there and learn to interact with others, and find ways of playing alongside their strengths and weaknesses in playing their instruments. If they're really bad, I make my choice and move on. I don't spend hours trying to film myself playing something perfectly verbatim for ego gratitude from unknowns on the web.

Wow, that was quite honest for me, I'm normally an apologetic fence-sitter. Normal service will resume shortly.....

That's fairy nuff.

I always try to be pro-"be nice to people" - I've never understood slagging people off for the sake of it. I haven't listened to their music, so I have no idea whether I like them or not, and if I didn't I probably wouldn't shout about it.

Unless I've missed something though, I can't see any personal attacks on the band. Just criticism of their judgement, and their music... put yourself out in the real world, and it's unavoidable.

You should see some of the comments I get on my YouTube clips. They would make your toes curl. Interestingly they're usually from bedroom players who would mess their trousers at the thought of an audience.

I have to say WoT, as I've only just come back here recently after a while away, I clicked on your link to the photos of your basses, to remind me what you had. I certainly messed my trousers, but in a different way......

Seriously though, I'm all up for encouraging others, whatever level they are at. Constructive criticism is fine, but I think down right "they are rubbish" isn't (personal opinion of course). On Youtube I guess it has to be expected, I would just hope BC would be above all of that. From what I've seen, we've got everyone from worldwide stars to kids checking out the forum to see if they'd like to take up the instrument registered on here.

I realise this band is saying they're "professionals" - but which band hasn't bent the truth a little on their posters and websites to get better gigs? Like (i think) Big Red X said on the "playing for free" thread said - if you want to get the better paid gigs, you've got to put the work in. Sounds like they're having a go to me. If they really are bad, then they won't get booked again. If they go down well, good for them, I say.

To me, they've been completely upfront, open - and it's down to those prospective bass players to listen and decide if the gig is for them.

Edited by Huge Hands

If I'm depping I'll usually get CDs in the post (or digital equivalent) and maybe one rehearsal to top and tail stuff. Most of the time though any diffferent arrangements are hastily mapped out during soundcheck. Often I'll have to make my own charts, but TBH, most cover bands play the same sort of stuff, so once you've done a couple then you start to build up a library.

£50 for all that is a bit optimistic though. :lol:

£50? Is this some kind of a joke? I know there's a recession on , but that's an insult. Unless the band are are genuinely inexperienced and nieve and being very poorly paid themselves that would seem to me to be an unreasonable level of remuneration for several hours work. Think about what minimum wage is and then divide £50 by the number of hours you would have to put into this job in total and you might as well be working in an illegal sweatshop. Four rehearsals and a gig ? For £50 they could buy approximately one rehearsal from me and I would expect Potnoodle and Wagon Wheels to be provided free of charge.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1350052956' post='1834095']
For £50 they could buy approximately one rehearsal from me and I would expect Potnoodle and Wagon Wheels to be provided free of charge.
[/quote]

Same here but if I was local, unemployed and between bands I'd probably consider it. Beats watching TV in my pants.

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1350048018' post='1834002']
Constructive criticism is fine, but I think down right "they are rubbish" isn't (personal opinion of course). On Youtube I guess it has to be expected, I would just hope BC would be above all of that. From what I've seen, we've got everyone from worldwide stars to kids checking out the forum to see if they'd like to take up the instrument registered on here.

[/quote]

I understand what you're saying, and some of the posts have been dismissive (mine from last night included, with hindsight). But, they have posted videos and recordings on their site, so are implicitly asking people to take a view on their playing. And whichever way you look at it, the horns section is not in time or in tune! I'm the first to admit that my band may have played some pretty ropey covers in our time, but I wouldn't post videos of them on the band website!

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1350053502' post='1834102']
Same here but if I was local, unemployed and between bands I'd probably consider it. Beats watching TV in my pants.
[/quote]

Fair enough, me too. But if they are a working band and someone is needing to hire someone to do a job then you should expect to have to offer reasonable remuneration. If they are all making no money then that's one thing , but if the permanent members are getting a proper fee and want to exploit the dep. by offering £50 then that is another matter entirely. All speculation of course, I have no idea what the rest of the band are getting paid, but I find it hard to believe that anyone would turn out regulaly for that kind of money for so much work . You could make better money giving lessons or working at Poundstretcher , and sitting at home watching t.v in your pants would soon look very appealing again .