Why become a member? ×

Get off my bassline, keyboard player!

I got accused of that recently (I play guitar & keys in this band). There were some unpleasant noise coming out front and it was alleged that this was the result of beat frequencies between the lower end of my keyboard part and what the bass player was doing. Turned out to be the other guitarist's amplifier farting in the bass register :o

However I quite sympathise ... bass and keys are quite capable of contradicting each other and we have to be careful to leave each other some space. I took the view that in this song the lower end of my keys part was nowhere near as essential as the electric bass part, so I dropped it completely. It was then that the aforementioned nasty noise didn't go away and they "forgave" me.

Edited by musophilr

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1349280760' post='1824249']
This only happens with poor/lazy keyboard players who haven't learnt the part properly.
[/quote]

I don't agree with that, in my experience some of the best parts came out of the keys treading on my toes, just made my job harder, so I didn't get to be a lazy bassist!

The issue sometimes with keys players is that they can fill a lot of space, especially with Rhodes-style sounds that really tend to thicken out in the low end. As long as there is a good spacial awareness with every player in a band then it is a problem that can quite easily be overcome. The thing to remember is that we don't just occupy one bit of low end as bassists, we can overlap with guitarists and keyboard players as well.

I played in a band where keys were a pain. So when an acoustic piano was being used I screwed down the top flap and filled the rear of the piano with felt.
When she used an electric piano / synth it was through the PA, which is mine and I control it, not much LF getting through. :P

Speak up fellow bass brethren. Change doesnt come if we say nothing. Last time this happened to me, on a Michael Buble type loungy gig, the low end from the pianist (who booked me) was so great that I just stopped playing and began flapping my arms up and on the ! and 3 until it caught his attention. Only then did he notice how much he'd stepped into 'my' space. Gotta let them know!!!

If what the keyboard player is doing works then its fine, there is nothing wrong with a keyboard doubled bass line when needed or parts that complement each other. Don't feel threatened if the keyboard player comes out with a better bass line then you just go do what is best for the song, whatever you do it needs to be extra tight and well thought out because low notes can soon clash and sound muddy. High pass filters can work but it is far better to fix the arrangement then the mix every time.

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1349299296' post='1824561']
I played in a band where keys were a pain. So when an acoustic piano was being used I screwed down the top flap and filled the rear of the piano with felt.
When she used an electric piano / synth it was through the PA, which is mine and I control it, not much LF getting through. :P
[/quote]
now that's what I call good thinking.