Why become a member? ×

Does anyone like their bass? Really?

lowdowner

So... loads of people on BC seem to be in the process of selling their bass (or at least one of their collection), and changing it to a new one...

I *like* my bass enough to want to keep it.

I was just wondering if anyone else was really happy with their bass and were planning on keeping it - and why? :)

You've got a really nice setup with the two thumbs. I've managed to do the same thing with guitars but I still constantly worry if I can afford it or not (being unemployed and all). When I had basses I wasn't completely happy, closest I've been is a Marleaux Consat 5 String Fretless which could do anything...although I wished it was a 4 string.

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1349036139' post='1821008']
You've got a really nice setup with the two thumbs. I've managed to do the same thing with guitars but I still constantly worry if I can afford it or not (being unemployed and all). When I had basses I wasn't completely happy, closest I've been is a Marleaux Consat 5 String Fretless which could do anything...although I wished it was a 4 string.
[/quote]

Yes, I'm really lucky.

I'm always surprised about the amount of high-end gear that changes hands on BC though... are they all so different?

I`ve managed to get the two "right" basses for me - a 1977 Fender Precision in Vintage Blonde (now yellow) with rosewood fret-board and black pick-guard, and a 1978 Fender Precision in Black, with maple fret-board and black pick-guard.

It`s been a long process, as all of the basses I`ve bought/sold on here have been great, and the last one I sold I really didn`t want to, but needed to. I don`t need any more than two basses, so also not looking to buy any for the foreseeable future.

Love my Dingwall ABZ (even better than my AB1), it's survived several new basses coming and going, which is a pretty good sign of a keeper. Most of my remaining basses these days (other than the Overwater and the AB1, which I'm selling) are keepers, too, mainly because I've either built or extensively modded them myself, which brings a certain emotional attachment. None of them are what you'd call high-value, boutique basses (I've sold most of those that I've owned), but they suit me now I've learned what I like in a bass.

I love my 10 year old Fender Jazz, almost like an extension of myself! Can't beat the slim neck, low action and clear tone. Often consider changing the pickups for something with a little more bottom end, but never seen it through, scared I'll lose the tone I love.

Also have an active Ibanez which I like sometimes, but is out of favour at the moment, just a bit too ballsy for what I'm doing just now. I can't seen to cut through the mix with this one without cranking up loud, and ends up sounding too muddy.

(Edit to fix typos)

Edited by geoham

RBX JM2 isn't going anywhere, had it for 6 years and I still get 'excited' by it. The Warwick LX is a new addition after needing a 4 string and having a few false starts. I think part of the problem is it takes a while to really get to know a bass. Its all very well in the music shop where they plug you into a topend amp that makes even a turd sound great but take it into a band situation or a gig then you soon find out whether its the 'one'..

I would never sell any of them.

Jackson futura- had since 1994 first good bass

Yamaha bbn5- had since 1996, sounds awesome. It has taken a kicking over the years and still in one piece. Plus over the years i've had people i meet inscribe their name on it (will enclose pic)

Fender Jazz 62 reissue fretless- beautiful!

[attachment=119809:DSCF4110.JPG]
[attachment=119810:DSCF4109.JPG]

Here you go then, Musicman Stingray, was my main bass since Dec 1999 till I started with the 5 string -

I love it so much that I tried to track down a 5 string in this colour on this forum, but the owner understandably didn't want to part with it... I still want one though :)

I doubt this is going anywhere!

My '63 Precision (year of birth). It is quite the nicest playing Precision I've ever had (think its the worn in neck, nearest I got before was a Pino Precision) and the sound is superb (recording engineers seem to like it a lot). This will not leave me. I have two other lovely electric basses - a Jaco fretless and a CIJ Jazz - which I like a lot but neither inspires me like my '63P.

Not so much a bass that I'll never part with but a neck. It's been on (I think) 4 different bodies with various pickup configurations and is so lovely to play. It came from a 'Yamato' P bass copy (but the neck is Jazz dimensions) from the Matsumoku factory (as far as I can tell) and is just brilliant.