Why become a member? ×

This is the maddest bass I have seen!

Angel

Honestly, the three minutes I heard was completely unmusical. If i did what he did on a guitar I'd be seen as a beginner, do it on a ten string bass and I would be seen as a 'proper musician'.

Why does almost everyone I've ever seen playing one of these start on the top string, do some lame scale patterns on the high strings, then some badly played elementary jazz chords (while closing their eyes and 'emoting') with some guitar style 'expression', then a bit of crap slapping, (edit: I almost forgot the dreadful harmonics!) and almost forget there are bass strings on it?

These people seem to be very confused and don't have much to say on the instrument. I think they get one made and quickly realise they are pointless white elephants so resort to showing us on YT how unplayable they are.

EDIT: I watched some more and I'm starting to think it's a piss take along the lines of ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQGrM5HS8vU

Edited by silddx

[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1348911235' post='1819650']
I bet he's got a tiny todger
[/quote]

That was my first thought, but I'm too polite...

One advantage of these EERB things is that if you're playing a cruise gig and the ship sinks you can just climb on top of that and drift home. That's probably the only one though.

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1348907947' post='1819611']
Why these people don't just get a double neck I'll never know. Looks like a scene from 'the borrowers'.
[/quote]

Because if you were playing a run across the strings, you wouldn't be able to hit the notes, you'd have to switch neck.

Plus IMHO twin + neck instruments tent to just look strange. However I really like ERBs, i know i'm in a minority there though!

Bass player is Stew McKinsey, and the title does say "idiocy".

Also, a guitar doesn't have the same low notes which is probably why he's not playing one...

IIRC that's the Conklin 10 string they made for him right after he lost everything in hurricane Katrina,

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stew-McKinsey/12018239044?ref=ts&fref=ts

Is his facebook page, he's a really nice guy and was in BGM not too long ago I think.

If anyone has any questions about the bass I'm sure he'd be happy to answer them!

Each to their own and all that, but this bass looks like it's got a thyroid gland problem. There's a lot to be said of a bass only having four strings so your craft has to become inspired. This kind of plinky-plonky guitar nonsense is the antithesis of what I think a bass should be. It's not a bass, it's a big stupid guitar. Rant over

I've got no problem with people playing an instrument like that if they want,but for me it always
seems a little.....pointless (?).
No disrespect to Stu,but I was expecting something more impressive.He wasn't playing anything that
I haven't heard played way better on 4,5 or 6 strings-with the exception of a wider range. In fairness,he
plays better in his other videos,where he's playing 4 or 5 string basses,but the 10 string just seems
like a very expensive 'novelty' instrument.