Why become a member? ×

How has your day been as a bassist?

charliethornton

Work til 2:30, then pick up youngest from school, quick cup o'tea, nip up guitar shop for some new strings, re strung stingray ready for next saturdays gig (supporting Wishbone Ash, our biggest gig this year so far, looking forward to it!), 30 min practice, speedy veg curry for tea, then on computer printing out cds & sleeves ready to try & punt a few out at the gig (any profit going towards our next recording), whilst Basschatting.
Not a bad bass day, all told?

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1348846821' post='1819098']
I received my Letts bass today and I swore I would never buy a production bass again. It is marvelous. I have also secured some lessons with one of the chatters on here, so all in all, an excellent bass based day.
[/quote]

Congrats! Lovely beast! I'd buy it if I had the money. Have a free bump. ;)

My bass day was good. Working on some Gentle Giant (though no immediate plans on being able to play it) after having been inspired by this:
Three Friends doing "Playing the Game" and "Just the Same"

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_P24p0WKk4[/media]

Terrible.

Because I couldn't find a guitarist for my party band, I've had to dust off all my old stuff and learn loads of guitar parts. Not happy at all. I hate playing guitar! Guitar parts for party tunes are nonexistent. All the keyboard parts are tracked so I'm just playing root chords and it's boring!

We'll be advertising for a bassist soon, and I sincerely hope we don't find one because I secretly hope we'll find a guitarist instead!

Truckstop

My wife went out with our 10 month old today and left me home alone. Yey. I washed two cars, mowed the lawn, did x2 loads of washing then sat down with my bass and new amp. I managed about 30 mins before they got home.
I have a fews songs to learn for an upcoming gig that our keyboard player cant make. We are throwing in a few simple numbers that dont require keys just to get us through the gig!
The new amp is great, Ashdown LB550, I tried out loads of different settings and all of them seemed useable. :D

Edited by deanovw

Just got in from a massive drive back from Skegness!... Played at a Butlins 70's weekend..

picked up a dep singer in Leicester on the way up (on Friday eve) Did an afternoon set after a Lionel Ritchie tribute, today
...dropped our dep back in Leicester on our way home to[b] Bristol[/b]...... [i](Drummer had to continue on to Taunton!)[/i]

Sheesh! that was a lorra lorra miles!

• 4 weeks later...

Band practice last night without our singer. I printed off all the lyrics so the two guitarists could sing and I could have a go at some backing vocals.

Observations - I can't hold a note in a bucket and when I do try to add even the odd word I forget where I am in the bassline. I don't think my future lies in that direction.

On the other hand, there were two girls in the control room of the recording studio we use for rehearsals. They indicated they loved our version of "Genie in a Bottle" (we easily broke through the soundproofing!) and one girl joined us for a few songs. Poor lass ended up with a rather hoarse voice, but wants to try again next week. We haven't told our singer he may have a rival/backing vocalist next week.

We finished with our rendition of "Living on a Prayer". The girls dimmed the lights in the control room and waved their cigarette lighter. Told us it was a great way to end the evening, which was nice.

I have been told that I have to go record two guide tracks this evening at 8:30 and that I have 45 minutes. I don't have my bass with me (Why would I, I am at work).

Its a 40 mile round trip in rush hour to go get it, so the engineer is lending me a Stagg (*shudder*).

I know it is just a guide track, but ffs.

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1351078092' post='1846959']
I have been told that I have to go record two guide tracks this evening at 8:30 and that I have 45 minutes. I don't have my bass with me (Why would I, I am at work).

Its a 40 mile round trip in rush hour to go get it, so the engineer is lending me a Stagg (*shudder*).

I know it is just a guide track, but ffs.
[/quote]Last time i used a stagg one of the tuning keys fell off so good luck there..

I've had a successful day as bass player. Only got one shift this week but got 2 gigs so I don't need much more. I got a looper a few weeks ago so really enjoying playing with that. I start this morning by making a loop of Cm and Ebm and finding ways to link the 2 tonalities. Then my new flatwounds turned up so changed them over and I love them! Just the sound I was looking for.
Then I used the looper as a click, playing a 4/4 loop and changing the place of the click. I started putting it on beat 1, beat 2 etc, the 'and' of beat 1, 'and' of beat 2 etc, then played slightly faster so that the click landed on 1 in the first bar, 2 in the second bar, beat 3 in the third and so on. Then I did some sight-reading with the Hal Leonard big band series, played with looped chords again.
I also emailed a couple of guys about blues bands so maybe some new gigs on the horizon.
Then i signed in here.